19 Jul 2010
By: K5858 Member 11 Posts
Level 1

No sound in game

22 Replies 585 Views Created 19-07-2010

I am not really sure if this is the correct place to post this, I have never used these forums before. If I am in the wrong place would someone please just redirect me.

I just bought a copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance the other day. It runs fine. Everything seems to work. However there is no in game music or dialogue. Sound effects work, and there is music over the menus and cut scenes but no matter what I try in the menus there is no music or voices in the actual game itself in places where I know there should definitely be, having played the game before. 

Looking around other forums, it seems it is something to do with the last system software update which I actually downloaded the day I got the game before I started playing... but i do not know what I should do. 

I would really like to play this game and get the sound working so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23 (585 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: No sound in game

The good news is that you are in the right place :smileyhappy:

Can you give us a little bit of extra detail please?

Specifically how the ps3 is connected to the tv (which leads) and I'm assuming you want sound from the tv not an amp or surround sound system?

Next can you go into the xmb main menu, settings, audio settings and note which of the various boxes you have ticked for 5.1 dts etc etc

:smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23 (571 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I am actually using a surround sound system not plugged into a TV. Sorry if that complicates this. 

I am using the optical digital output plugged into an amplifier. 

However I am pretty sure it isn't a hardware issue because I do get sound out. The Playstation home page has sound and even the menus in the game have music over them it is just the Game play itself where to sound doesn't work. 

For your second question I am not 100% sure what you mean. Do you want the menu where it says:

"Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch

DTS 5.1 Ch

AAC

Linear PCM 2 ....."

If so on my machine "Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz"

and "Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz" 

are checked.

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23 (563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

i had this problem once, if you go into settings down to display and set it all up again, like optimised settings, that might fix it, it worked for me, but not with that game tho
I accidentally my post
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23 (569 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

doesn't complicate things - just different :smileyhappy:

in-game sound, particularly dialogue, but also sometime music, when sent via optical, is usually designed to come from the centre speaker.
This is especially true in cut-scene dialogue.

My guess is that the two Linear boxes you have ticked may only be partially compatible with your surround system.
AK-Slash (amongst others!) is usually good on these settings, but I can never remember which one is which :smileysad:

I THINK though, that if you tick both the 5.1 settings as well as the Linear ones, that may solve your problem :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23 (562 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

PS.

You MAY need to untick the linear ones too - but it's possibly a case of trial and error :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23 (561 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

TTDegs is probably correct in his diagnosis of the problem. As your getting sound out of the system then Its not a cabling issue its more than likely to a setting in the xmb or the game. After reading through you've selected just Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz & 48KHz. But you have it connected via optical to an amp. I'd assume your amp has more than 2 speakers connected to it, so you can use the DD5.1 & DTS etc if your amp supports it, otherwise your not getting true surround sound, only stereo. Which if all 5 speakers are working means your matrixing the stereo source. Back to your problem, as you've selected only outputting 2 channel stereo make sure if their is an in game setting that you've picked stereo as the output. Otherwise if you've selected 5.1 output in the game and stereo output via the PS3 menu then your going to be missing channels, hence why some sounds would work but not the voices (As there the center channel mainly, and you'd miss those going from a 5.1 - stereo)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23 (559 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thank you all for the attention.

That sounded very promising however I am afraid it hasn't worked. 

I checked both 5.1 boxes. I have also checked that sound is definitely coming out of my middle/centre speakers, and they are working.

I have searched the in game menus as much as I can, and there is unfortunately no option to changed the sound output. 

In response to unchecking the other two "Linear" boxes as was suggested: those two are actually checked, but greyed out and I don't have the option to change them. :smileysad:

Sorry for being such a difficult case....

Do you have any idea what else I could try. I am determined not be defeated by this. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23 (553 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Try it by having the sound coming from your tv and unchecking all the boxes in the sound settings.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23 (534 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I tried the TV. It has he same problem of no music.

I have also changed to using the phono (red and white plugs.... I don't actually know what they are called which is embarrassing seeing as I use them all the time).

This has not worked either. 

I have also now tried both optical and the (what I would call) phono at the same time and enabling simultaneous output in the sound options.

No joy.

I have also looked at the settings on my amp in detail, and experimented with virtually every possible setting.

Also, this is the very first sound problem I have ever had with the Playstion.

What are the chances that this could be a software issue? I know this is really tricky but does anyone have any idea what else I can try?.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23 (520 Views)
0 Kudos