21 Mar 2010

Playstation Staff

Old hard drive into new PS3 Slim

32 Replies 36,995 Views Created 21-03-2010

I've had a phat 60GB SKU with a 320GB HD installed and just got a new 120GB Slim today.  When I put the old 320GB HD into the slim (I have ~160 GB of data on it so a backup onto the new 120GB drive won't work), it gives me the system update message that has been discussed before.  I downloaded the update on my flashdrive and when I went to update the slim with it, it said it would reformat my 320 GB HD.  Has anyone successfully put an old HD into a new slim without formatting the old drive, or do I have to back up my 320GB, just to restore it right back?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33 (36,995 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Old hard drive into new PS3 Slim

You have to format the drive to get it to work with the new PS3, if you can put it back in the old one and back it up then restore on the slim. It's a total pain I know but it's the only way, which sony would sort this so we can change the hard drive without formating.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33 (37,062 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

What if you had to put the old HDD into a new PS3 without access to the old PS3 ?

I recently got the yellow light of death, and i hadn't backed up the hard disk. I have unfortunately had to take apart my PS3 because i couldn't eject (or emergency eject) my disk which was stuck in it, so going on my old PS3 is out of the question.

I have however removed the hard disk and i am holding it in my hand as i speak. Isn't there a way to put my game data onto some kind of storage device then insert that into my new PS3 slim ? 

Or do i have to resort to decrypting the formatting settings just to insert my old HDD into a new PS3.

I'm in distress, seriously, i am so bored at home without my PS3 :smileytongue: (don't skit).

Any answer at all that doesn't include using my old PS3 is perfectly fine.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33 (36,925 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

that wont work unfortunately, the hdd is locked when formatted to the one ps3, if you move it to another ps3 then it requires formatting, sony had to impliment this to stop people copying games and content

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33 (36,908 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

God dammit ! How about pre-formatting the HDD on a computer software ?
Or the question the PS3 asks you when you insert any HDD, what if you were to say no ?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 33 (36,862 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

then it would not do anything and will shut down, the only way is to use the hdd in the original ps3 to backup saves and content, if you put it on a pc then the drive would be unreadable until you formatted it, and if you put it into the new ps3 then it would definatley require a format to work
To Infinity and Beyond
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33 (36,852 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sorry But Sony Pi**es me off. With this "Re-formmating" Crap. its Rediculous! Xbox Has no problem with the Harddrive, WHY SHOULD SONY!?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33 (35,990 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

its to stop people from buying a ps3 , then buying 10 or so hardrives, and dumping psn games, add ons and no doubt pirated movies and videos onto a hardrive and then selling them on ebay for a premium.

back in the xbox 1 days . it was very common to see pre ready hard-rives , packed with games and movies and then the hardrives were sold for 40-50% premium than the cost of the hardrive . there used to be loads of them ebay and they sold well . a few people ended up in police sting operations for selling large numbers of pre ready hardrives over the internet .

and when it comes to the xbox 360 hardrive . there are number of programs on the net you can download that will allow you to read fatx , thus people have been pulling off addon packs from their hardrives , dumping them on the net and then people can quite happily move them onto their hardrive .everything from map packs to almost every rockband song.
its annoying but thats why it has be done .
Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 33 (35,960 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Don't forget - backing up a PS3 hdd onto an external drive doesn't copy everything.  Any "copy prohibited" items (which too many saved games are guilty of) will not be included.

The PS3 is the greatest system, but Sony really screws you there.

Of course, you could just restart those games.  Who wouldn't love playing Assassin's Creed 2 over after finding 99% of those feathers!  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33 (35,630 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Steelebourne wrote:

Don't forget - backing up a PS3 hdd onto an external drive doesn't copy everything.  Any "copy prohibited" items (which too many saved games are guilty of) will not be included.

no. those items are included. if you restore backup to the console you did backup from, they will be restored. if you restore to different console, those items are not restored.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 33 (35,595 Views)
0 Kudos