21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Old hard drive into new PS3 Slim

32 Replies 40,265 Views Created 21-03-2010

I've had a phat 60GB SKU with a 320GB HD installed and just got a new 120GB Slim today.  When I put the old 320GB HD into the slim (I have ~160 GB of data on it so a backup onto the new 120GB drive won't work), it gives me the system update message that has been discussed before.  I downloaded the update on my flashdrive and when I went to update the slim with it, it said it would reformat my 320 GB HD.  Has anyone successfully put an old HD into a new slim without formatting the old drive, or do I have to back up my 320GB, just to restore it right back?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

cooners

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
cooners
Accepted Solution

You have to format the drive to get it to work with the new PS3, if you can put it back in the old one and back it up then restore on the slim. It's a total pain I know but it's the only way, which sony would sort this so we can change the hard drive without formating.

0 Kudos

Re: Old hard drive into new PS3 Slim

/16

Edd-_1

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Edd-_1
Accepted Solution

What if you had to put the old HDD into a new PS3 without access to the old PS3 ?

I recently got the yellow light of death, and i hadn't backed up the hard disk. I have unfortunately had to take apart my PS3 because i couldn't eject (or emergency eject) my disk which was stuck in it, so going on my old PS3 is out of the question.

I have however removed the hard disk and i am holding it in my hand as i speak. Isn't there a way to put my game data onto some kind of storage device then insert that into my new PS3 slim ? 

Or do i have to resort to decrypting the formatting settings just to insert my old HDD into a new PS3.

I'm in distress, seriously, i am so bored at home without my PS3 :P (don't skit).

Any answer at all that doesn't include using my old PS3 is perfectly fine.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

/16

Mystic-Mister

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mystic-Mister
Accepted Solution

that wont work unfortunately, the hdd is locked when formatted to the one ps3, if you move it to another ps3 then it requires formatting, sony had to impliment this to stop people copying games and content

0 Kudos

/16

Edd-_1

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Edd-_1
Accepted Solution
God dammit ! How about pre-formatting the HDD on a computer software ?
Or the question the PS3 asks you when you insert any HDD, what if you were to say no ?
0 Kudos

/16

Farscape247

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Farscape247
Accepted Solution
then it would not do anything and will shut down, the only way is to use the hdd in the original ps3 to backup saves and content, if you put it on a pc then the drive would be unreadable until you formatted it, and if you put it into the new ps3 then it would definatley require a format to work
0 Kudos

Play More Live More
/16

champion97

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
champion97
Accepted Solution

Ive just realised that I have the same problem. I have the yellow light of death which ill repair just to back up the hdd. I have a 60gb upgraded to 500 gb so if i get the old ps3 working and backed up will I be able to restore on the same hdd on a new ps3?

0 Kudos

/16

itzMonoxside

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
itzMonoxside
Accepted Solution

Sorry But Sony Pi**es me off. With this "Re-formmating" Crap. its Rediculous! Xbox Has no problem with the Harddrive, WHY SHOULD SONY!?

0 Kudos

/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution
its to stop people from buying a ps3 , then buying 10 or so hardrives, and dumping psn games, add ons and no doubt pirated movies and videos onto a hardrive and then selling them on ebay for a premium.

back in the xbox 1 days . it was very common to see pre ready hard-rives , packed with games and movies and then the hardrives were sold for 40-50% premium than the cost of the hardrive . there used to be loads of them ebay and they sold well . a few people ended up in police sting operations for selling large numbers of pre ready hardrives over the internet .

and when it comes to the xbox 360 hardrive . there are number of programs on the net you can download that will allow you to read fatx , thus people have been pulling off addon packs from their hardrives , dumping them on the net and then people can quite happily move them onto their hardrive .everything from map packs to almost every rockband song.
its annoying but thats why it has be done .
0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

/16

dam0ng3

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dam0ng3
Accepted Solution

I had the exact same problem, I got my new slim ps3 a couple of days ago after a launch day fat died on me :(. So I tried to take the hdd out of the fat undo the casing, etc. then i put my fat in the slim and it said the stuff about system software download 3.72 etc............So i copyied 3.72 to a USB which was formated FAT32 i made the folder PS3-Then UPDATE and copyied it in there but it still says "no data detected"? just wondering if you found a soluton,

Thanks

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

xLew--

• Beta Tester
97%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xLew--
Accepted Solution
there is actually a way to put new harddrives in without formating, im sure i posted it somewhere, if not i cant dig out the link and give you it?
0 Kudos

/16

deepershades

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deepershades
Accepted Solution
the principal limitation of back up & restore is that you're limited to one console throughout which has to be working (note that protected saves are copied over, and this is ideal for simply upgrading your hard drive without using a second PS3) - the data transfer facility copies everything over in addition although you need two working consoles - the only other options are manually saving to an external drive (protected saves won't make it) or playstation plus (copy protected saves ok here) - if you don't have a fallback and your system dies you need to resurrect the dead PS3 or move on unfortunately (i've been there) ........
0 Kudos

/16

Iwantmemum118

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iwantmemum118
Accepted Solution

If you have hardware failiure and sort out an exchange via sony or you nedd to fit a new Hdd, sony will let you down load copyright protected data (ie movies) again to your new system or new hdd if you ask them very nicely. For everything else ie your pictures, music and game saves you need to use the back up utility on a regular basis so that it the your hdd or ps3 fails you can put them on to your new hdd or system.

Some game saves you will lose uless you use the online game save facility.

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyManMeat

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyManMeat
Accepted Solution

My old phat ps3 ylod on me last night and I have just ordered a like for like swap through Sony for £110 but they are letting me keep my old hard drive 320 gig full of pictures and movies and I can't find me original hard drive so they are accepting it back without the old hard drive. So is there no way at all for me to recover my photos/movies? 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
nope sorry
0 Kudos

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
/16

Firefox2000

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefox2000
Accepted Solution

CrustyManMeat wrote:

My old phat ps3 ylod on me last night and I have just ordered a like for like swap through Sony for £110 but they are letting me keep my old hard drive 320 gig full of pictures and movies and I can't find me original hard drive so they are accepting it back without the old hard drive. So is there no way at all for me to recover my photos/movies? 

Well unless you need the 60gog for things like BC i suggest you do not hand over £110 for a refurbished 60gig......At this stage of the game a refurbished 60gig with a 3 month warranty is a costly risk....And unless you have made backups already you have unfortunately lost everything.......I would keep the money and put it toward a new slim model.

Just my opinion.

0 Kudos

/16

ocelot07

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ocelot07
Accepted Solution

CrustyManMeat wrote:

Oooooo is there no chance of you telling Sony to forget the transaction? As £110 for a refurb is a complete and utter rip of and will probably die after 4 months. You can get a 160gb slim for £160 now. If it is the PS2 bc you will miss. Then simply buy a PS2 slim. I bought a nice silver slim for £20 a few months back. So if I ever want to play any of my old PS2 games again I can.

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyManMeat

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyManMeat
Accepted Solution

ocelot07 wrote:

CrustyManMeat wrote:

Oooooo is there no chance of you telling Sony to forget the transaction? As £110 for a refurb is a complete and utter rip of and will probably die after 4 months. You can get a 160gb slim for £160 now. If it is the PS2 bc you will miss. Then simply buy a PS2 slim. I bought a nice silver slim for £20 a few months back. So if I ever want to play any of my old PS2 games again I can.

I don't like the slim version at all and I managed to get a 12 month warranty out of them after pleading my case and being transfered to a supervisor.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

TAKE-AWAY

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TAKE-AWAY
Accepted Solution

dam0ng3 wrote:

I had the exact same problem, I got my new slim ps3 a couple of days ago after a launch day fat died on me :(. So I tried to take the hdd out of the fat undo the casing, etc. then i put my fat in the slim and it said the stuff about system software download 3.72 etc............So i copyied 3.72 to a USB which was formated FAT32 i made the folder PS3-Then UPDATE and copyied it in there but it still says "no data detected"? just wondering if you found a soluton,

Thanks

You are not alone, I get exactly the same message when trying to use my 500GB hard drive in my new 160GB slim. I thought it was me doing something wrong when putting the 3.73 firmware on a USB stick but can tell we are doing the same thing and the problem is something more than my firmware on the stick. Any solutions would be much appreciated, cause I'm tearing my hair out over this problem.:xCry::Mad:

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

TAKE-AWAY

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TAKE-AWAY
Accepted Solution

TAKE-AWAY wrote:

dam0ng3 wrote:

Thanks

You are not alone, I get exactly the same message when trying to use my 500GB hard drive in my new 160GB slim. I thought it was me doing something wrong when putting the 3.73 firmware on a USB stick but can tell we are doing the same thing and the problem is something more than my firmware on the stick. Any solutions would be much appreciated, cause I'm tearing my hair out over this problem.:xCry::Mad:

In fact after all my attempts of getting this to work last month it was in fact the way or order you save firmware onto the usb stick that needs to be done in a specific way.

0 Kudos

/16

nucho45

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nucho45
Accepted Solution

I have the same problem. I recently got a slim and got ylod on my Phat PS3. But I forgot to sync my trophies with the server and I worked for two platinum. I don't wont to lose them but I don't wont to reformat my hardrive. If theres a way to sync my trophies please someone reply.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel