28 Mar 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS Vita black screen, can't reset.

[ Edited ]
13 Replies 36,397 Views edited 15-04-2012

Hello! I've been having a serious problem with my Vita and i don't know how to fix it. I've had my Vita since launch, i bought the 3g/wireless launch bundle. the Vita worked right out of the box. This past week i hadn't been playing my vita and it was sitting safely in its case, last night i went to play a game on it and the battery was dead. i plugged the vita in, let it charge for 25 min or so, and tried to turn it on. the PS logo come on then i just got a black screen and a solid blue light. No matter what i do i cannot get the Vita to boot into the main menu, it just wont start up. so far ive tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds, the vita will reset and go into the recovery menu with the 5 options. ive tried the first option to reset but when i click it the vita goes back to the black screen. ive tried updating the vita from that menu, it downloads the update to 1.6.1 and come up with the EULA, but when i click accept and then install i just get the black screen again. Ive tried taking out my memory stick and SIM card and resetting, black screen. finally i let the battery die over night, plugged it in and let it charge for several hours, and when i powered it on it went straight into an update with a loading bar, but at 100% install it goes to the black screen again.

I don't know what to do to fix it. I love my Vita, ive not dropped it or mistreated it in any way except taking it out of its case to play every other day. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, i dont want to have a shiny new paperweight...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (36,397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS Vita black screen, can't reset.

Hold down power, playstation button and top right button for three seconds.  This should go into the root menu and then click restart.  See if that works.  I had similar problem

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (36,391 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Ive tried resetting it through the menu, when i click the first option to reset it just goes to the black screen again. I also cant find a way to just power down the vita, all i can do is reset it by holding the power for 30 seconds and i end up back at the recovery menu. none of the options seem to work.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (36,385 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

To me, that sounds a bit like your update may be a bit dodgy. Try rebuilding the database and working your way through the recovery options. If all of them fail to help try going elsewhere, downloading the update and applying it to the vita as your connection may not be stable enough to download the update.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (36,363 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Ive tried to rebuild the data base, but it just goes to a black screen, is is supposed to do that? i let it sit like that for several hours but it still was stuck with a black screen and a solid blue light. I tried to update it by connecting it to my pc and my ps3, both times it downloaded the patch to 1.61, i acceped the EULA, and pressed "ok" and it went to a black screen. I'm to the point where i think i need to return it to Sony for repairs because noting is working, can anyone think of anyhting im doing wrong?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (36,341 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Has anyone had help fixing this problem? I'm having the same one right now.  I can get into the recovery screen, but from there no matter which option I pick, the screen just goes black again and won't do anything.  I tried hooking it up to a computer and updating, which didn't work.  It downloaded the update then just went black again.  Currently I'm trying to update via my ps3... But I have a feeling it'll do the same thing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (36,181 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

I think you should try all of the options on the recovery screen from top to bottom. Failing that, take it back and get a replacement. This is a really strange issue as the vita should be able to boot normally. Try removing the memory card and SIM before booting and see if that helps. There may be an error on the card stopping it booting. (Not certain how the card system works yet)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (36,178 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I went through all the options top to bottom.  Doesn't matter which one it is, the screen just 'pops' back to black with the blue light lit.  Memory card and game cartridge are both out.  I tried letting the battery drain out, then tried to boot it up and same thing happened...  I ordered it online from best buy, so I'm going to try to call sony customer support and if I can't get any help there then I guess it's time to hit up the local best buy to see if they'll do a return in-store...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (36,167 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Got in touch with sony... There's no fix.  It's an firmware error and it's stuck like that.  So I've got to send it in for repairs.

Awesome.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (36,155 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Ouch. Did the store not just refund you? :smileysad:

Hope you get it resolved in the end. One way or another. Unlucky mate :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (36,146 Views)
0 Kudos