18 Sep 2010

Playstation Staff

PS3 120GB Slim - Turns itself off (Not YLOD)

[ Edited ]
18 Replies 20,543 Views edited 18-09-2010

Hi everyone,

I purchased a PS3 Slim 120GB on 9th September 2009. Obviously my SONY guarantee has expired by 2 weeks (suspiciously...)

As a background I haven't used the PS3 much, probably 10 hours a week over the course of that time period and recently I haven't really played it at all.

It isn't dusty, it never feels too hot and there is a large amount of space around the PS3 for ventillation.

So here's the problem:
- I turn on the PS3

- Load up the game, or leave it, doesn't matter if I do anything

- Suddenly, bam, it turns off. Doesn't beep. No yellow light. No flashing red lights. Just off.

- I can't turn it on by pressing the power button, or by turning it off/on by the plug socket. I need to actually remove the power lead + put it back in and THEN turn it on.

- This happens about 5-10 minutes into the PS3 being turned on.

Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe the power cable, but it's never been twisted into awkward shapes and looks pretty fine to me. On the exterior, the PS3 also looks fine.

I've tried to find a similar problem but everyone seems to mention a Yellow Light. Mine doesn't flash any lights, it just turns itself off.

Thanks SO MUCH if you can help!! :smileyhappy:

Nadine

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (20,543 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 120GB Slim - Turns itself off (Not YLOD)

Certainly sounds like an overheating problem, which is odd if it's got a bit of space around it. If you are able to move it to a slightly different place and test it there, you might find it works. If not, it's likely there's a problem with the power supply causing it to turn off unexpectedly.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (20,527 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i have the exact same problem, its bloody annoying

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (20,512 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i spoke to ps3 directly, they said could me the connecters on the motherboard have to send it to them,but luckily i have insurance so just claim on that

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (20,500 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem too!

@chrisa: I've tested it and it is 100% not a heating problem. I even left it by the window with freezing air blowing in; it wasn't even hot and BAM after 5 minutes it turns off straight away.

I have no insurance and the warranty ran out a month ago. I'm planning on ringing SONY tomorrow since their email 'help' was pretty much just 'ring customer services!'

I'd like to add here I think it's disgusting that SONY expects good customers who have spent a lot of money on their products to pay for faults which are in no way the customers fault and CLEARLY a manufacturing problem. I've completely lost faith in SONY. over 100 pounds just to get it fixed? For a problem that they caused through shoddy workmanship?

Absolutely disgraceful.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (20,465 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Well if there is just a problem with the power supply, then it's unlikely you'll be £100 out of pocket, but I suppose you'll have to find out what's wrong with it. If it does get resolved, post what the problem was as I'd be interested to know :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (20,457 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

To anyone who shared the problem (now resolved personally):

- I contacted CURRYS (where I bought it from) with my RECEIPT and quote the Sale of Goods act.

- They said that if I contact SONY and get a quote, they will pay the bill.

- Contacted SONY, got a quote of 131 pounds.

- Contacted CURRYS, they paid 131 pounds into my account.

Sorted :smileyhappy: (thanks to Currys not SONY though!! Still unimpressed with the fact you have to pay for a manufactorung fault...)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (20,338 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi All

I have had exactly the same situationand mine was very well ventilated/ cleaned and under used.

To get it back on I have  o take out the power cable and plug it back in ( which leads to making the odd sparking noise every so often- can't be healthy)

I bought mine last September from HMV so the warrenty is out on that.

- Is the £130 a standard repair fee?

- Is it worth speaking to HMV?

- This sucks...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (20,140 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have the very same problem. I live in Ireland and bought mine in December 09. Its still in warranty but I dont have a receipt. Is there anythingwe can do???

There must have been a bad batch made at that time...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (20,132 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I just tried holding down the power button for 5 seconds until it beeped and RESET.

So far its stayed on since! I would recommend trying the reset- might be a chance?!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (20,119 Views)
0 Kudos