19 Sep 2009
By jamesy2

Playstation Staff

PS3 40gb won't read discs

7 Replies 2,564 Views Created 19-09-2009

Arrrr, prepare to be boarded!, 

I have a 40GB PS3 that i actually got from Sony as a replacement for my last PS3 that had the exact same problem as my current one has. Basically... i was playing Beatles Rock Band and it kept crashing on the opening titles, it did this about 3 times, on the 4th time when i went to load it back up thar was no disc icon thar. I have tried DVD/CD/Blu Ray and i just don't get the disc icon come up, the loading circle in the top right just keeps loading.

In terms o' warranty i am not sure where i stand.. my first PS3 which i bought about 2 years ago was under warranty when it had this exact same problem and Sony replaced it for free which was great.  I got the replacement PS3 probably about 1 and a half years ago from Sony... and it has now got the disc issue. Will Sony replace it even though it came from them as a replacement for my first PS3? also bearing in mind they replaced it well over a year ago? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (2,564 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 40gb won't read discs

They will replace it but it will cost around £145.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon and that's pretty damn close

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (2,552 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Arrrr, prepare to be boarded!.

I think the warranty on refurbished/replaced models is only 3 months. Therefore, I think you'd need to pay the fee o' £128 to fix your Blu-ray drive; they might just send you a refurb PS3 though. thar are other places which offer to fix your PS3 such as Console Doctor, but I'm not sure what they charge. I think it's a bit less.

You'll need to give Sony a ring and see what they say. Here's the number:

PlayStation Customer Service Number 

UK: 08705 99 88 77

EIRE: 0818 365 065

Hope that helps..If you have any other questions/queries then feel free to ask. All the best. :Thumbs: 

Message Edited by fords30 on 19-09-2009 11:20 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (2,551 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

do you know if this issue it limited to a batch o' PS3s and i have been unlucky? i don't want to get the replacement and then another die on me and have to pay about another £145... thinking i should just get a new PS3 slim and hope it lasts a Ahoy, good Aye few years! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (2,546 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I'd imagine that it is just bad luck more than anything.

If anything I'd say that the 60GB PS3's are more likely to break as opposed to the 40/80/160 and such. It's hard to say though because the 60GB has been out the longest so it's starting to hit that 3 year point where generally 15% o' all consumer electronics will fail.

You might be better off selling your current PS3 on eBay or something; you'll probably get a bit o' money back for it even though the Blu-ray drive could be broken.

It might be better to pay a bit more to get a brand new PS3 (comes with a 12 month warranty from Sony), as opposed to paying out £130 odd for a refurbished PS3 with a 3 month warranty. Say in 6 months time it breaks again, that's another £130 etc. So it's probably a more sensible decision to pay a bit more and have that security o' the warranty. (Might also be worth getting an extended warranty in store - I think it's like £30 for an additional year at Game/Gamestation etc) 

Have you tried playing a DVD in the PS3? How about a CD? Do they play or is it just Blu-rays that don't work? 

Message Edited by fords30 on 19-09-2009 11:34 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (2,543 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

It won't play anything, it can play demos etc from the hard drive fine but CD/DVD/Blu Ray are all FUBAR, i think i may just go for a new one with the security o' a 12 month warranty rather than 3 month!  Thanks for the replies! 
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (2,537 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

No problem; happy to help.

It does indeed sound like it's knackered. One last thing would be to try a disk cleaner but I'm not sure if you'll have any luck with that. If you do manage to get it working, I'd still sell it regardless.

Best o' luck with that anyway. :Thumbs: 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (2,534 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have one of the original 40gb ps3's (bought Dec 2007), the drive just stopped playing any discs this week. I spoke to Sony who said they hadn't heard of this happening before...yeah right!

They want to charge me £99 to repair it.

I'm waiting for a supervisor to ring me back as I don't think they should charge to repair a 2 year old console which cost nearly £400.

A little research on the internet reveals that this problem is very common. 

The PS3 is great, but they need to look after their customers better than this. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (2,287 Views)
0 Kudos