14 Jan 2010
By: TSplitter Member 2,839 Posts
Level 3

PS3 Disc Sensor problem (Blue light)

[ Edited ]
4 Replies 12,888 Views edited 14-01-2010

The disc sensor on my PS3 doesn't seem to working. When I insert a disc the drive draws the disc in fine, but the blue light does not come on - so when the disc is inside i cannot eject it.. meaning I have to take the disc out manually.

What's strange is, I have looked at various videos on Youtube and the disc sensor is visible on top of the drive at the front.. but it's nowhere to be seen on mine :smileyfrustrated:. Im thinking that might be because they are the American model - I have the original PAL 60 Gig model.

Basically - The PS3 is not detecting any discs.

Does anyone know what I could do here? Please help.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (12,888 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: PS3 Disc Sensor problem (Blue light)

Hey.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your Blu-ray drive is knackered.

Also, you should have 2 lights at the top of your PS3 (below the 'Standby' touch button); a green one, and a blue one. Green one is basically the power button, and the blue one should come on when there's a disk inside the PS3.

It sound like you'll need to get the PS3 fixed regardless.

I think that Sony will offer to replace your drive for about £99 - £101.50. They'll also give you a 3 month warranty on the fix/refurbished model. You can inquire further about this using the number(s) below:

Playstation Customer Service Number
UK: 08705 99 88 77
Eire: 0818 365 065

Alternatively, you could try a few things in the PS3's recovery menu that may get it working again; if you're interested in those, I've stuck them below for you anyway:

You'll need to access the PS3's recovery menu and try a few of the options in there. The information below should help you to do just that.

1) Restore File System:

Here's the general procedure:

1. Turn off PlayStation 3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
7. Choose to 'Restore File System' and follow the process through.

You may want to take a look at the video below if you want to try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2YnGGUOJks

Not the best but just to give you a rough idea and that.

2) If the 'Restore File System' option doesn't work, try the same procedure but this time choose 'Rebuild Database'.

Give those a go and see how you get on with them.

-------

Also, you could try option 5 'Restore PS3 System' (or something similar); this will however restore the PS3 back to factory settings meaning you'll lose all of your data and such.

Good luck with it all and I hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (12,855 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Darn - could have sworn I'd replied to this! :smileysad:

what I basically wrote last time (but obviously failed to post...)

Namorodo mentioned a disc sensor when he was taking his to pieces - but I THINK it was to say that he couldn't find one.

I have no idea what it looks like, but this http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=70948 is the thread I used when replacing mine - is the sensor shown in any of the pics?
I'm guessing that the spinny clock thing doesn't spin on the XMB when inserting a disc too?

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (12,853 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Does anyone know where the disc sensor is in the PAL 60Gig model?? Because it's not in the same place as the models i've seen on You Tube, which were all American I believe.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (12,850 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I'm just getting a like for like replacement from Sony. Going to cost me £131.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (12,825 Views)
0 Kudos