26 Mar 2010
Playstation Staff

PS3 Green then yellow then red flashing light?

4 Replies 6,806 Views Created 26-03-2010

Hi all,

A while back I posted a thread saying about a PS3 I bought with a suspected video problem. I received the PS3 today in the post, and rather than a video fault it seems the ps3 wont switch on at all.

Basically, I flick the switch on the back, and the ps3 goes into standby and the steady red light comes on. Then, I press the power on button and the light goes green, the fan whirs, then there is a kind of click that sounds almost exactly like the noise my laptop used to make when it overheated and shut down, its like a click with a quiet whirr after it. The light then goes yellow for a second, and sometimes goes back to green before then going to a flashing red light.

The interesting thing is though, is that right when I switch it on my TV looks like its about to display a picture, like the no signal box disappears, which makes me think perhaps the display section of it isnt broken after all?

What does all that mean?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I'm starting the ps3 without the bluray drive connected but with a hard drive in it (I will try starting it with the bluray drive in it in a few hours)

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (6,806 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Green then yellow then red flashing light?

sounds like YLOD, therefore PS3 FUBAR'd, unless you can do the reflow

***** PS3 bluray laser fitting service available in the Chester area *****
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (6,798 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ah dammit :smileysad:

Does it make a difference that the green light seems to stay on longer each time I turn it on? When I first plugged it in it barely went green but now its green for probably about 3 seconds before going yellow/red.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (6,793 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Supersamtheman9 wrote:

ah dammit :smileysad:

Does it make a difference that the green light seems to stay on longer each time I turn it on? When I first plugged it in it barely went green but now its green for probably about 3 seconds before going yellow/red.

Cheers

probably not

***** PS3 bluray laser fitting service available in the Chester area *****
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (6,782 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

the good news though, is that a YLOD PS3 is a LOT easier to fix than a dead GPU... :smileyhappy:

have a shufty at my YLOD thread link in my sig for some options :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (6,772 Views)
0 Kudos