27 Aug 2008
By: Tibe9mm

3 Posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 HDMI output problems

[ Edited ]
8 Replies 4856 Views edited 14-11-2011

Day 1 - everything was working fine.

Day 2 - I turned on my PS3 (60GB) while my TV was still off. The sound came through seperate speakers so I noticed that I had left my Guitar Hero disc inside the system. As soon as I heard that the system was automatically going to run the game, I ejected the disc. Then when I turned on my TV, there was no picture. I waited for a while and when nothing happened, I restarted the system with the power button in front. There still was no picture.

I tried two different cables, both of the TV's HDMI inputs (which I tested separately to be functioning) and tried unplugging the power cord for a while, but nothing changed. Then i plugged the console to the TV with composite cable and switched the console on by pressing the power button for ~5 seconds. I got the SD picture via composite. The system asked if I wanted to use HDMI output as it noticed that the HDMI cable was connected. I selected "yes" but got no picture.

I have the latest firmware.

Only thing I can think of is that the PS3 is now broken. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could/should do?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (4,856 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Re: PS3 suddenly stopped giving HDMI output

Turn your PS3 off, then when turning it back on leave your finger on the on button for 8 seconds until your PS3 beeps again. This will re-establish new display settings and will look for an output.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (4,844 Views)
0 Kudos

Looks like the problem might be the TV

Day 3 - Things are getting weirder. I tried connecting the PS3 to my monitor with HDMI and it worked. Then I was supposed to connect the PS3 to my amplifier and the amplifier to the TV. But when I got as far as connecting the amplifier to the TV with HDMI, the screen went green and the amplifier gave a message "HDMI error, HDCP error". Same thing happened with two different cables and both HDMI inputs.

I had the amplifier connected to the same TV a long time ago with HDMI and there were no problems then. Both HDMI inputs work fine when they are connected to the computer with DVI-HDMI and full HD resolution.

My TV is LG 42LF65.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (4,825 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Re: Looks like the problem might be the TV

Tibe9mm wrote:

Day 3 - Things are getting weirder. I tried connecting the PS3 to my monitor with HDMI and it worked. Then I was supposed to connect the PS3 to my amplifier and the amplifier to the TV. But when I got as far as connecting the amplifier to the TV with HDMI, the screen went green and the amplifier gave a message "HDMI error, HDCP error". Same thing happened with two different cables and both HDMI inputs.

I had the amplifier connected to the same TV a long time ago with HDMI and there were no problems then. Both HDMI inputs work fine when they are connected to the computer with DVI-HDMI and full HD resolution.

My TV is LG 42LF65.

If you follow my instructions I'm sure this may be a fix to your issue.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (4,816 Views)
0 Kudos

As I said in the first post, that's one of the things I tried first.

Anyway, I was able to try my PS3 on another TV and there it worked fine. Then I tried another PS3 on my TV and it didn't show any picture either. It is pretty clear now that my TV is the one that is broken.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (4,796 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

this is what happened to me, thought my ps3 was broke so exchanged it for a new only to find i had the same hdmi problem. tried it on another tv and the ps3 picked the hdmi straight away, don't know why but the tv decided it didnt want to connect with the ps3 via hdmi but it will still connect with a dvd player via hdmi on the same cable in the same port ?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (4,782 Views)
0 Kudos

This has been happening to me on and off since I got the thing. Every once and a while it decides not to want to use hdmi. I usually hook it to my TV via hdmi and another smaller TV using the conventional cords. When you turn on your ps3 a window should pop up on the smaller TV asking if u want to use hdmi. I select yes, this works sometimes but at times like right now it doesn't and usually by a couple days it decides to work again.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (4,220 Views)
0 Kudos

I had the same issue and I looked at the inside of where the hdmi plugs into the ps3 and noticed that one of the gold things around the middle of it was bent back.

Has anyone had the same issue? If u sent it in how long and how much was it?
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (3,028 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi Tibe9mm,

I would advise running through the troubleshooting guide on our website. 

If you are still having issues then let me know.

Cheers,

SuperFastZombie

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (3,012 Views)
0 Kudos