20 Jul 2011
By rymanb
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 Hard Drive Corruption Problem

10 Replies 1,433 Views Created 20-07-2011

I've been having problems with my PS3 recently and want to know what exactly is the problem, and if it is the PS3, will Sony replace it for me (my Slim is still in warranty).

I was recently playing Enslaved when the screen started flickering and a message came up saying something along the lines of "Game data is corrupt. Please re-install game data." The PS3 reset itself and I started up Enslaved again, only to find that it didn't load properly (it came up with an error saying the load operation failed).

I tried other games such as inFamous 2, which loaded the Sucker Punch logo and "The beast is X miles away", but then that just stayed on a black screen too. I had the same trouble with Gran Turismo 5 too, so I thought maybe the disc drive had died (although it was still reading discs, sort of).

Anyway, I heard that this sort of problem can be fixed by restoring the file system in the PS3 recovery menu, so that's what I did. After about half an hour the PS3 restarted and displayed "Hard drive corrupted. THe system will attempt to restore files", starting the whole process again. This kept repeating for about 5 or 6 times, until I decided just to restore the entire system and format the hard drive.

After that, all games loaded properly again, so I thought I'd fixed the problem and decided to download all my old games off of the store again. However, whilst downloading games like Tumble, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and Deathspank, the download would stop (usually around 40%) even though the status was still 'Downloading'.

Whenever this happened, the PS3 would really begin to slow down whilst navigating the XMB, and in some cases the icons wouldn't load when I turned the system on. When this happened, I'd turn the PS3 off (it would then beep 3 times but fail to turn off so I'd have to hold the power button down), and afterward, the system would tell me that the hard drive had corrupted again.

What I want to know is, what is causing the problem here? Is it the Store's downloads (which I doubt)? Is it my hard drive? Or is it my PS3? My PS3 is still in warranty, so would Sony replace it ?

Thanks for any help (and sorry for the long post)!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (1,433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Hard Drive Corruption Problem

It might be worth going into the safe mode menu selecting option 4 rebuild the database it will try fixing corruption in the operating system.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/627262

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (1,423 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I've just tried that, and the download is still freezes when it gets to 46% (for Tumble) :smileysad: The system still begins to struggle while the download is still 'running' - the only way I can then cancel the download is to disable the internet connection via network settings and then restart the system from there.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (1,416 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Does this happen with all PS3 downloads?

Can you download something (of similar size) on your PC without problems?

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (1,407 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Well, Tumble is approx 1600MB, whereas I downloaded Final Fantasy VIII fine (1800MB) as well as RA3: Commander's Challenge (2300MB). Yeah, I have no trouble downloading large files on PC so I don't think its my ISP throttling speeds or anything. 

I thought it might be to do with Trial and Unlocks (Tumble and Lara Croft: GoTL are, and I've had problems with them) but then I downloaded Alien Breed, which is a trial and unlock, and that downloaded with no problem at all.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (1,405 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

I would fit a new hard drive in and see if you get the same problems with it.

the current one seems to have gone a bit unreliable.

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (1,400 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

That's what I thought, I ordered a new hard drive last night. Hopefully it fixes the problem, otherwise it'll be difficult to explain to Sony's customer services - "Well you see, it all works fine, but it doesn't download some games" :smileyhappy: - I doubt they'd replace the PS3 to be honest, they'll probably just blame my ISP or home setup :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (1,397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

rymanb wrote:

That's what I thought, I ordered a new hard drive last night. Hopefully it fixes the problem, otherwise it'll be difficult to explain to Sony's customer services - "Well you see, it all works fine, but it doesn't download some games" :smileyhappy: - I doubt they'd replace the PS3 to be honest, they'll probably just blame my ISP or home setup :smileysad:

Hi rymanb,

It's an unusual issue, let me know how you get on with the new hard drive in there- if you continue to have issues I will look into this further for you.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (1,392 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

RabidWalker wrote:

Hi rymanb,

It's an unusual issue, let me know how you get on with the new hard drive in there- if you continue to have issues I will look into this further for you.

Rabid

Thanks! :smileyvery-happy: Hopefully the new hard drive will arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know if I continue to have problems.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (1,384 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Well, I put the new hard drive in and the PS3 came up saying the system software partition was corrupted, so I inserted a USB stick with firmware 3.66 on it and the system eventually started up fine.

Just tried downloading the three games which weren't working, the first one has downloaded all the way and I'm just trying the other two, but it looks like that has fixed the problem. My guess would be that part of the system software partition in the old hard drive became corrupted and that is what was causing the problems.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (1,362 Views)
0 Kudos