19 Jun 2009
By Samadoo

Playstation Staff

PS3 Keeps freezing during gameplay

85 Replies 66,261 Views Created 19-06-2009

Hi there

My Playstation 3 (60GB) keeps freezing up during game play and Blu Ray playback it, Starts off with a loss of sound and then the game / Film usually freezes completely I have noticed a clicking noise where the laser is trying to read the disc over and over again and the right hand side of the console is quite hot. The unit then takes an eternity to go back to the main menu / quit the game

Ive done a full system restore and repair and the unit is in a well ventilated area and it still happens, DVD playback seems to be unaffected by the "freezing" which makes no sense at all!!, ive also contacted sony who want £140 to replace my unit with a new one due to it being outside of the warranty peirod any help to fix it and avoid the complete rip off for a replacement would be much appreciated!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 86 (66,261 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Keeps freezing during gameplay

hi i am having the same problem, did you ever get it resolved?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 86 (66,121 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Nope its still doing it, looks like im gonna have to cough up the £140 for a replacement which is just greeeeaaaaattt
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 86 (66,094 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

These symptoms could be that of a broken blu ray laser (dvds & cds unaffected). Since you are out of warranty and sony are asking for £140, you can either pay this and get it expertly repaired or do it by yourself (voiding any & all warranty with sony) by purchasing a new KEM-400AAA laser assembly (the 60GB only works with this).

N.B.

the KEM-400AAA can be in the region of 50-90 GBP so is a sounder investment if you are fluent in repairing things.

Message Edited by flembobs on 29-06-2009 06:53 PM
* *(&)** flembobs **(&)**

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 86 (66,074 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeah thats what I was thinking due to the clicking noise and the high heat output from the side of the console where the player is located, thanks for the info my warrantys expired anyways it maybe worth a crack at fixing it myself (or finding a uni mate that can lol)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 86 (66,042 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i have the same probllem and all i have done is stand it up and it works fine u could try that but make sure it has alot of space behing it for cooling 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 86 (63,033 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOLY ***** MY PS3 DOES THE EXACT THING... first i play at least one full online game on cod or fifa or anything then the second game the sound stops and then the game freezes but i watch dvds all the time on it wtfff is up with that? any1have a suggestion on how to fix it?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 86 (60,942 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

hello

i am currently experiencing the same problems as you mentioned in your online forum over a year ago.

is there any way you could inform me of how you resolved this problem, because it is nearly impossible for me to play any game for any length of time

many thanks

david wright

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 86 (59,904 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

PLZ PLZ PLZ Help it keeps freezing when it dose i have to turn off the main plug  off then on but only with only one of my games

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 86 (56,781 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

your game wouldn't happen to be black opps wud it? my copy had small hole in the disk that u can see if you hold up to the light. the game kept freezing and crashing the console when loading or saving. my replacement plays better but still not 100% and still has holes in but not as many. i think its time for a 3rd copy.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 86 (56,618 Views)
0 Kudos