02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Keeps freezing during gameplay

85 Replies 71,418 Views Created 19-06-2009

Hi there

My Playstation 3 (60GB) keeps freezing up during game play and Blu Ray playback it, Starts off with a loss of sound and then the game / Film usually freezes completely I have noticed a clicking noise where the laser is trying to read the disc over and over again and the right hand side of the console is quite hot. The unit then takes an eternity to go back to the main menu / quit the game

Ive done a full system restore and repair and the unit is in a well ventilated area and it still happens, DVD playback seems to be unaffected by the "freezing" which makes no sense at all!!, ive also contacted sony who want £140 to replace my unit with a new one due to it being outside of the warranty peirod any help to fix it and avoid the complete rip off for a replacement would be much appreciated!!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

schafmatt

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
schafmatt
Accepted Solution
hi i am having the same problem, did you ever get it resolved?
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Keeps freezing during gameplay

/16

myhockey

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
myhockey
Accepted Solution

same but with mw3 and balck ops and NHL 11 AND 10 , AND ALL OF MY OTHER GAMES

i restores it and the same thing happend

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos

/16

Samadoo

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Samadoo
Accepted Solution
Nope its still doing it, looks like im gonna have to cough up the £140 for a replacement which is just greeeeaaaaattt
0 Kudos

/16

flembobs

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flembobs
Accepted Solution

These symptoms could be that of a broken blu ray laser (dvds & cds unaffected). Since you are out of warranty and sony are asking for £140, you can either pay this and get it expertly repaired or do it by yourself (voiding any & all warranty with sony) by purchasing a new KEM-400AAA laser assembly (the 60GB only works with this).

N.B.

the KEM-400AAA can be in the region of 50-90 GBP so is a sounder investment if you are fluent in repairing things.

Message Edited by flembobs on 29-06-2009 06:53 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
* *(&)** flembobs **(&)**

Photobucket
/16

Samadoo

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Samadoo
Accepted Solution

Yeah thats what I was thinking due to the clicking noise and the high heat output from the side of the console where the player is located, thanks for the info my warrantys expired anyways it maybe worth a crack at fixing it myself (or finding a uni mate that can lol)

0 Kudos

/16

Airza1991

20%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Airza1991
Accepted Solution

i have the same probllem and all i have done is stand it up and it works fine u could try that but make sure it has alot of space behing it for cooling 

0 Kudos

/16

KingSlobDamatz7

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KingSlobDamatz7
Accepted Solution

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOLY ***** MY PS3 DOES THE EXACT THING... first i play at least one full online game on cod or fifa or anything then the second game the sound stops and then the game freezes but i watch dvds all the time on it wtfff is up with that? any1have a suggestion on how to fix it?

0 Kudos

/16

twix97

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
twix97
Accepted Solution

lol mine does it too but mine the tv screen changes colors and freezes up...ill tell u how to get a new one for 20 dollars at least... if u still have your warraty trade yours in for 120 gb and u will only have to pay 20 dollars. my uncle did that. im gonna do tha same.

0 Kudos

/16

REALMADRIDcf2

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
REALMADRIDcf2
Accepted Solution
I have the same problem with a 250 gb slim hel please
0 Kudos

/16

daveiscool182

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
daveiscool182
Accepted Solution

hello

i am currently experiencing the same problems as you mentioned in your online forum over a year ago.

is there any way you could inform me of how you resolved this problem, because it is nearly impossible for me to play any game for any length of time

many thanks

david wright

0 Kudos

/16

Espio1998

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Espio1998
Accepted Solution

PLZ PLZ PLZ Help it keeps freezing when it dose i have to turn off the main plug  off then on but only with only one of my games

0 Kudos

/16

silly_sy

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
silly_sy
Accepted Solution

your game wouldn't happen to be black opps wud it? my copy had small hole in the disk that u can see if you hold up to the light. the game kept freezing and crashing the console when loading or saving. my replacement plays better but still not 100% and still has holes in but not as many. i think its time for a 3rd copy.

0 Kudos

/16
21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whos_yourdaddy24
Accepted Solution

my copy of black ops messed mine up also it was working just fine until i got it know it takes awile for it to bring up anything like music and to load other games. I took it to my friends to see if it was the disk but it worked fine on his

0 Kudos

/16
23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_MalboroMan_xx
Accepted Solution

orite guys, from what ive ben told, the blu ray laser is busted.

now you can clean it using 'glasses cleaner' but this involves using tiny screws, and its eay to break lol...

OR

the option im going for is to buy a new/refurbished blu ray disk drive off ebay - there going for around £40-£50, and then fit it myself...

oh and i kept getting kicked out of mw2 matches and it said 'player animation out of range' or some ***** like that....

ill let u now how i get on...

Blame Thatcher.

0 Kudos

/16

xxNEOxGENESISxx

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xxNEOxGENESISxx
Accepted Solution

Same thing man. 

I thought it might me the black ops' disk's got some problem but I tried running 2 more black ops and it still froze and everything else seems to run slow now.

I think Black ops damaged my PS3. Treyarch's trinna break our PS3s.

if there's a fix please someone, let me know.

0 Kudos

/16

dstaylor10

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dstaylor10
Accepted Solution

me and two other friends have the exact same problems ever since purchasing Black ops?!?! its really annoying me and surely treyarch cant get away with this? sony need to do somthing about this. this is some bug coz now eery game i play crashes on my ps3 :@

0 Kudos

/16

jemmo

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jemmo
Accepted Solution

ive had black ops for cpl of weeks my 250gb has been fine for a whole year but since playing this game mine too has been freezing up its s#*t it only a cpl weeks out of warranty  could a game cause all these problems though and are sony aware of it??

0 Kudos

/16

daddystutts

20%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
daddystutts
Accepted Solution
Got black ops two weeks ago loved it!!now my ps3 is Fu@;(d wot do I do???
0 Kudos

/16

jacko-_1

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jacko-_1
Accepted Solution

OMG! dudes ive had the same problems ps3 freezing in the middle of matches but all my other games are fine i think my ps3 is out of warranty?            If Its black ops,     Trearch Are going to pay ill sue them.

0 Kudos

/16

WESTCHRONICS

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WESTCHRONICS
Accepted Solution

Ha no problems till they released Black Ops, the game was already *****ed from the very start!!! It ***** me of for almost 2 weeks, so many lags, connection interruptions, my leaderboards were so off etc etc. First you think to wait for a patch, BUT NOW my PS3 is *****ED. 

How do I know!! I didnt wanna play Black Ops anymore at all so I put in my old and trusted COD4 and gues what? Same ***** what i had with Black Ops, occures now also on COD4. Its so frustrating, so i formatted my HD and it DIDN'T work at all. 

Does someone know where you can report this to Sony straight ahead?

Its insane that Treyarch doesnt care about taking so much money from PS3 ppl.

They had 2 years, with the whole team and what do you get??!!! No better graphics, no better sound effects and on #1 your PS3 KEEPS on FREEZiING!!!

I hope they get sued cause, Microsoft gave them a lot of money 2 release there dlc file the first and made sure it was all good for Xbox. And now they wanna earn money from PS3 ppl by just converting the Xbox dlc to a PS3 file??? I say "Make them PAY!!!' 

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel