24 Dec 2009
By Ianomo

Playstation Staff

PS3 Shuts Down Randomly

12 Replies 3,875 Views Created 24-12-2009

Hello,

I had an original PS3 which i sold and replaced with the new PS3 slim which i love. As of late it seems to be shutting down after a certain amount of time with no warning as if i had a power failure but every other thing that is plugged into the sockets stay on its just the PS3. I have tried just about everything reformatting it restoring the hard drive downloading the new firmware and installing it it still shuts down tho if i leave it off for long periods of time it'll last about 5-8 min then shut down reducing the time it will be on each time i start it up. Sometimes it sounds as if the fan just shuts off because it is completely quiet. Also this is another predicament i am in. I am in the US Navy stationed overseas I purchased my PS3 from the NEX and I cant take it back to them they say because I've had it for to long and i don't think i can ship it to get repairs from Japan. If there are any fixes out there or some kind of help some1 can give me i would greatly appreciate it. Like i said before I think its a power issue and there is no warning before it shuts down it just turns off after an amount of time. Thank you again for your help and/or reference.

V/R

Ian

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (3,875 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Shuts Down Randomly

Does it happen whilst you are using it gaming/movie or is it just when you leave it on?. Is nex a US shop or UK?..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (3,857 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

it shuts down if im playing watching or just letting it stand. The Nex is kinda world wide but only on military bases.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (3,841 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Same thing happened to me, just powers off, no light on have to turn it off at the wall and then turn it back on. I sent it away to get repaired and it arrived back yesterday after the maximum 3 weeks with no contact from them. Guess what?? Same thing happened, shutting down as before, not very happy they are now wanting me to send it back to get repaired again and wait another 3 weeks. First will be writing a letter saying how unimpressed I am with all this.

Good luck I recommend you send it away and hope it gets repaired.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (3,711 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

veg-freak wrote:

Same thing happened to me, just powers off, no light on have to turn it off at the wall and then turn it back on. I sent it away to get repaired and it arrived back yesterday after the maximum 3 weeks with no contact from them. Guess what?? Same thing happened, shutting down as before, not very happy they are now wanting me to send it back to get repaired again and wait another 3 weeks. First will be writing a letter saying how unimpressed I am with all this.

Good luck I recommend you send it away and hope it gets repaired.

Cheers

The exact same thing happened to me! I just got the PS3 back from repair and it's turning off randomly again! Ahh

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (3,008 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

This may be kind of irrelevant, but I had this problem with my PS2 slimline - turns out the problem was cracked solder in the power supply leading to a dodgy connection, I'm not sure accessible the power supply is in the PS3, but just re melting the solder on that could fix it. (Although this will void your warranty)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (3,004 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Does anyone has a solution for this? Or did anyone had it fixed successfully? =(

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (2,469 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

heat sink problemget a new one on ebay for 15 bucks n plug it in

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (1,853 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Does the PS3 feel hot when it turns off? it may be overheating
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (1,845 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

no when the ps3 gets close to overheating the screen changes to a message saying the system will shut down now due to heat and after 30 seconds it shuts off and wont come back on unitl its cooled down a bit

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (1,833 Views)
0 Kudos