22 Jul 2010
By Khai-FX
Playstation Staff

PS3 Slim 120GB (CECH-2003A Model) really hot... Cracked a Game.

17 Replies 7,841 Views Created 22-07-2010

I know the "my PS3 cracked my Game" thing has been shouted about before, but I had no idea of the frequency of it. After so many Xbox's broke over the world I am starting to think that the PS3 is no better.

My PS3 has cracked my Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 disc. In the crack going approx 3mm outwards. The issue is not so much about that but about the heat of the system. It appear that this thing hardly "pushes" any air out of the back and the tucked away in-take and general lack of, means my PS3 Slim gets hot.

Due to the direction in which my house faces, opening my windows doesn't allow any air to come in. (House faces North West, but the air flow in most southern areas of the UK comes in from the South West. This means that opening my windows does absolutely nothing. All my electronics must line the back wall, well away from the window and also far away from the radiator, since it sits underneath. My door is tucked away in a corner away from my electronics and is actually closer to the window, so should any rare breeze actually come in, it immediately goes out the door. If I close the door, there is no current, so again, air doesn't move. Rearranging my room is not an objection, due to it's shape, location of windows, the door, the direction inward to my house and the plug.

Almost 2 days ago now I was playing my PS3 Slim in a 26, possibly 27 degree room. Since getting my console in the later part of MAY (2010) everytime I played it I touched the top of the PS3 (in the centre) and thought... "WOAH.. that's hot", but given it was my first PS3 I thought perhaps the way it was. Anyway a day before checking my discs I read A LOT of threads over the web about cracked games and that simply made me think Sony are just about as useless as Microsoft. I decided never to play my console in the hot weather again. 1 day later (2 days ago) I checked my discs and BEHOLD! A crack has formed!

When my room is regularly 26+ degrees (Sun sets behind my house. I have a black out blind too but that does nothing in keeping heat out from direct sunlight, heat still gets in, no breeze, no air, etc. ridiculous. Physics sucks) what the hell do I do?

My PS3 is in a nice open space. Has about 7 inches of space at the back, and about 20 on one side and 10 on the side. It sits openly on top of a stand with nothing above it and the wooden slats it sits on have gaps in which means more surface area underneath is exposed. Everytime I play the console for 2 hours, it's raging hot. Whenever I eject a disc, it's almost to the point of burning me. No doubt this has caused my game to crack by weakening the plastic.

I've spent well in the region of £1200 this generation on failing Xbox's, games and accessories and when I bought a PS3 Slim, I though woot, finally... some reliability. This doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe another £240 wasted?

I cannot afford AC (Air Conditioning) and I do not wish to use a clip on fan which will simply break my console anyway. Everyone knows heat rises. If I go downstairs it's cool. It's all laminated down there. I come up here and halfway during the journey upstairs you can feel the temperature increase many degrees. My room also has laminate wood flooring. This HD Monitor for my PC is also used for my PS3. It churns out a lot of heat. I also have a PC but that's not hot.

I'm tired of replacements, terribly designed hardware, newer models of everything which result in your first purchase being completely out of date... this generation is a disaster. I still have a PS2 Phat which is well over 7 years old. I gamed on Playstation Online during the Socom 1, 2 and 3 era and played BFMC2. It was practically always on. It still works to this day. Sure the Xbox failed. It got repairs though didn't it, and it never once broke my game, which unfortunately, CANNOT BE REPAIRED.

Ideas? How can I cool my room a bit. Maybe put my PS3 on the lowest part of the open stand (few inches from the floor) to be the coolest? This is driving me nuts! Sorry for the long post. I wish Sony didn't put a HDD under the Blu-Ray Player and perhaps opted for an external power brick.

FX

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18 (7,841 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Slim 120GB (CECH-2003A Model) really hot... Cracked a Game.

Right, lets see if I can narrow done the problem

Has any other game cracked in your collection? Where is the crack on the disc? As it is possible that the case the game comes in can be a bit tight and it can crack there (had an Iron Maiden DVD that did that, from the case, not the player/PS2/PS3).

Some mass produced discs do crack as they can be weaker then others, remember the orginial pressings of Halo 3, none have survived and they all cracked.

I have a 120gb 2000A Slim, and as far as I am aware, none of my games have cracked and my slim is getting warm due to the higher temperatures. I have a room fan blowing air on me and my PS3 to keep it cooler, also my console is sitting on a laptop tray, so it has another fan blowing the underside of the console, its powered by a charge dock for my pads via the mains, not by the consoles USB's putting more strain on the machine.

320gb PS3 Slim, 120gb PS3 Slim, 60gb PS3, PSVita. PSP, soon PS4
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18 (7,849 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I only have 3 games. Dead Space and Oblivion came with it. As a result, I picked an old bundle which was in-line with the times when the PS3 Slim first came out. If I'd picked the RDR package (if it was in stock) I'd probably have the slightly newer Slim which has better power efficiency. (45% less as opposed to my current Slim's 34%). MW2 is the only game cracked. The crack starts from the centre and is about 3mm long. It goes just past the little "bump" near the centre's first ring.

My most recent purchase (about 6 weeks ago) was MW2. Even though I played that game a hell of a lot on PC I always new those games (even under P2P) were more fun on Consoles. I paid £26 on Ebay.

My room is so hot there is sadly nothing I can do. Even when it's not warm out my room is well into the 20's. Opening my door and windows does nothing. My PC isn't warm so it doesn't churn out heat but my HDTV does. I have wood flooring and a breeze never rolls into my room. The sun sets behind my house so when it's sunny I have to close the black out blind. All this does is cause my large window (6ft width by 4ft high) to act as a radiator behind the closed blind. Opening the window still leaves the hot air there. Most of my surfaces for putting things on are wooden. This absorbs heat. Even though there is plenty of space I fear the wood absorbs the heat and reflects it back, so I was thinking of putting my PS3 on a large bathroom tile. Since it's so hot in my room, whenever the PS3 sucks it air, it just breathes boiling hot air.

What can I do? An btw sure it may be that the cases crack the games, but I have not a single doubt that the sheer heat (far too excessive for a disc) weakens it a lot and when applying it to the spindle in the case, causes it to split. It makes perfect sense. Expanded plastic is weaker. I am always so very careful with the stuff I purchase. I'm not heavy handed.

Thanks for any help given.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18 (7,849 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Here is an idea, most won't like it, but have the PS3 vertical (need to buy a stand for this for the Slim). It increases the amount of air around the console and a bare minimium is touching the surface. Mine ain't vertical yet, but if it gets any warmer then yeah, I'll do the same for the summer months.

Word of advise, don't put that disc in the console as it will crack further due to the speeds it spins inside the machine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18 (7,895 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Right so... put simply: Spend more money because Sony has terrible cooling solutions and there should never have been a slim version in the first place. Right?

This is the next gen. Cramming next gen stuff into a small space was always a bad idea. My room is always warm though. Won't putting it on a bathroom tile do much? (poor conductor of heat... thus doesn't radiate heat back into the PS3 as wood does)

I really wish Sony had put more grills on this thing. Looks aren't everything. A working piece of kit does.

Doesn't putting the PS3 Slim into a stand cover some of the holes up? Underneath the edges of each side is a gap. Look for yourself. That means one end of intake holes is covered. Lets say that's 20% of intake fans covered. Also.. with the heat of my room, when vertical won't that extra surface area just be exposed to very warm air? I mean sure, it wouldn't be as bad as the bottom of the PS3 being exposed to warm wood with it being radiated back into the bottom of the PS3 but having it side ways... how is that going to improve? Do Sony sell an official vertical stand?

Will disc temp improve? I don't expect any disc to survive the current temperatures my PS3 Slim is throwing at it and the reason I am asking all these questions is because I am literally poor after all these purchases. Note I've got a cat, there is a risk of that PS3 going flying. Is the Blu-Ray discs held inside?

Do I have to throw that MW2 disc away?

To date: Sony owe me £26 + the cost of a Vertical Stand. I am not at all impressed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18 (7,908 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

There are a few cheap stands for a PS3 Slim and they have a gap for the vents on that side, tiles could work or a sheet of metal which will conduct it away. I''ve not seen an official Sony stand, but 4gamers makes one as does GAME.

There should be a number in the booklet to ring Activision about replacing your CODMW2 disc, they may charge, they may not for the replacement disc.

Least you don't have a 60gb, they struggle more in this heat then the Slim does.

Hot air rises, so vertical its pointing the area near the serial number at the highest point, thats the area that blows hot air out at that point.

Discs are held inside as I have seen inside a 60gb and it holds in a similar way the PS2 does (not PS2 Slim). And held much better then in a 360 which scratches the disc when you move them.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18 (7,895 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I know for a fact Activision will not replace it. I haven't tried and I don't expect there be a point. Here is how the conversation will unfold:

Me: - Hello, just calling to say my Sony PS3 Slim 120gb console has cracked my Modern Warfare 2 disc. Is there any chance of a replacement?

Activision: - No. It was caused by the console so we are not held liable for damages. Unfortunately we cannot replace it. Would you like to purchase another copy?

Me: What? For that piece of crap for a game? No thanks.

That is how it'd go. So really my only choice is a stand? What annoys me the most is that for years and years of having an Xbox 360 and it breaking, I not once heard how bad the PS3 was. I was always told to get a PS3. Then when I do get a PS3...surprise!!!!!! People who had a PS3 sell it and get a Xbox 360 claiming the PS3 sucks. I've wasted well over £1000. I'm really angry.

My PS3 sits about 2 feet from the ground. If I were to lower it on the lowest point of the stand (2-3 inches from the ground) and then place the feet on a bathroom tile (poor conductor of heat) and leave a little gap between the feet of the back and front, would this improve cooling? Since it being as low to the ground/laminate flooring as possible would technically mean the lowest, naturally cool part of my room?

Check it out. No electronics been on in my room all day and it was only 18 degrees outside. Room was boiling. Impossible?

This is a joke. Can't even play my PS3 without the risk of it breaking my games. Should I even buy new games for it? I was thinking of Buying Demon's Souls within the next 2 weeks, I suppose if I play that for 6-7 hours constantly it'd break wouldn't it? Poor design...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (7,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Everyone expects every electrical device to never fail?! It's impossible!!! It happens, it's nobodys fault.

Is the console broke? If so ring Sony. You can pick up another COD4 for £20 if that.

I understand you're frustrated, but these things CAN and WILL happen at some point.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18 (7,874 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

There is actually a VERY good chance that the conversation with Activision will actually go along the lines of:

Me: - Hello, just calling to say my Sony PS3 Slim 120gb console has cracked my Modern Warfare 2 disc. Is there any chance of a replacement?

Activision: - Certainly sir, we're sorry to hear that. If you pop the disc in the post to us, once we receive it, will will send you another copy. Once again, we're sorry to hear that your enjoyment of our game has been spoiled by this, and can assure you that this happening is a very rare event.

You may have to pay a (small) amount towards postage costs.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18 (7,853 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

OK. I'll give Activision a ring on Monday. I don't think it'll go down well though. First of all, before I even play my PS3 (I've not played it since it broke my MW2 game about 4 days ago) I need to figure out how to cool it. Check this. Yesterday it was about 18 degrees in the evening right... I had no electronics on. My PC was actually on stand by and my monitor was off. It was still warm in here. Windows were open. How?

I can't spend a even a small fee on replacements for the MW2 disc let along buy a vertical stand. Not only that but Sony recommends it stays horizontal and last of all, it LOOKS ***** Vertical!

Surely there are other ways of countering this heat problem. I'm not even bothered the PS3 is hot. It's the fact the Discs are which are annoying me. It could sit and break all of my DVD's, Blu-Rays / Games, and that be more of a hassle than the console breaking simply because not all major companies are going to replace stuff for free are they? At least with a console it's OK under warranty. How long is the warranty btw? I fear 1 year is simply not enough.

An yes I understand that people shouldn't expect electronics to not fail. But last gen everything was so awesome. 1 PS2 phat lasted 7 or 8 years and it still works today. The thing was practically on 24/7 and I was one of the first people playing Playstation online. Socom 1, Socom 2... then I went to Socom 3 and BFMC2. I've spent welll over £1000 on this generation. I think these big corporate companies should stop messing people about. I'm betting there is 100,000's of people like me when it should be more in the region of only 1000's.

:smileysad:
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18 (7,850 Views)
0 Kudos