13 Nov 2009
Playstation Staff

PS3 Slim problems. Help?

26 Replies 29,052 Views Created 13-11-2009

Ok, here's a quick sitrep.

I have a 120GB PS3 Slim. And it has something I like to call Chronic Cooling Disorder, or CCD. Either way, it gets warm pretty fast, and therefore my games have lots of visual glitches and occasionally freezes. Although I haven't determined that it is definitely the problem, I can't think of any other reason. Game glitching and freezing go hand in hand with overheating right? Here's the twist though.

The thing is, I'm running it in a cupboard. Before you jump to conclusions, it is a really, really big cupboard and it is the last place that gets hot in the house. Also, I've got the PS3 sitting on top of a notebook cooler and I turned it around so the vent facing away from the wall. Despite all these measures, all my games start glitching after a while and that really, really ***** me off (By glitching I mean like lots of random walls of unfiltered texture spreading around the screen.) I've tried running it outside the massively cold cupboard with identical results.

I even took it back to JB Hi-Fi to see if they could diagnose the problem. The problem was that on that particular day, when I was running it in that store, it decided not to glitch. So, JB sent me packing with information I'd already guessed. As a result, my guarantee (3 months is it?) is rapidly running out. If I can't get a solution to this, I'm going to run out of warranty and have to pay money or something to diagnose the problem. I considered sending back to Sony, but I'm not quite prepared to send it away for like 6 weeks.

My friend owns a 'fat' PS3 and he runs his a tiny shelf that it barely fits in, and he never has overheating problems. This is because of the front air intake right? 

Is there any solution to my dilemma that doesn't involve spending large amounts of money?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27 (29,052 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Slim problems. Help?

why do you only have 3 months warranty, did youbuy it pre owned, also check your cables as if it works at the shop it should work athome, also take it out of the cupboard for a few hours and put it on  a hard surface and play and see if that stops it, if it does then you will have to keep it out of the cupboard
To Infinity and Beyond
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27 (28,897 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Braden_rules wrote:

The thing is, I'm running it in a cupboard. Before you jump to conclusions, it is a really, really big cupboard

Does not matter how big of a cupboard it is.  Once it gets full of hot air, your PS3 starts sucking in hot air, from that point on, it's called thermal runaway, as because it's sucking in hot air, the hot air coming out the back is even hotter, which means the hot air it's drawing in is even hotter...  And so forth until your system fails...

Power it up on a table in free air, and then test it again...  (if you haven't broken it already).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27 (28,868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

DirkPitt39 wrote:

Braden_rules wrote:

The thing is, I'm running it in a cupboard. Before you jump to conclusions, it is a really, really big cupboard

Does not matter how big of a cupboard it is.  Once it gets full of hot air, your PS3 starts sucking in hot air, from that point on, it's called thermal runaway, as because it's sucking in hot air, the hot air coming out the back is even hotter, which means the hot air it's drawing in is even hotter...  And so forth until your system fails...

Power it up on a table in free air, and then test it again...  (if you haven't broken it already).

It's a really big cupboard and I left the door open as well...Maybe cupboard isn't the best description, maybe small office is closer to the size but if this problem persists when I take it out, does this mean something is definitely wrong? A few weeks back, I woke up one morning and tried turning the PS3 on and the light started flashing red. This is the overheating symbol right? Thing was, it was like really cold and I hadn't used it for ages. I just kept trying and it decided to turn on. This strange phenomenon has happened twice a few months back but hasn't occured again. Has the system suffered damage? Is there any way to verify that it has a problem and will it be covered under warranty?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27 (28,824 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Farscape247 wrote:
why do you only have 3 months warranty, did youbuy it pre owned, also check your cables as if it works at the shop it should work athome, also take it out of the cupboard for a few hours and put it on  a hard surface and play and see if that stops it, if it does then you will have to keep it out of the cupboard

What is the standard warranty when you buy it new? (Because that's what I did)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27 (28,819 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

you have 12 months from the day u brought it :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27 (28,799 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

are you saying that your ps3 slim is lagging and getting slower? i got that problem, and i am very dissapointed... my ps3 loadings are getting way more longer and games where the loading happens while playing (draw disitance) are allmost unplayable....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27 (27,378 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Its probably just a faulty ps3 or something wrong with the blu ray laser, anyway take it back to where you got it and get another, also you have a 1 year warranty from the day you bought it

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27 (27,371 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

No help here but I have a problem too. I bought a brand new PS3 slim 120 gb system 10 days ago. I loved it for the first 9 days. In those days I also had a glitch problem only when playing Battlefield 1943. I have a nice cool apartment and my PS3 sits on an open air shelf. All the sudden it started freezing up. Even when I unpluged the internet it still was freezing. Movies from Netflix were freezing. I called sony support and did all kinds of stuff. Then after all that now I cant even get to my menu. Its fuc*ed. Its done. Now I have to wait 2 weeks 4 a new one and I think its BS. I have a 5 year old PS2 that works all day every day, whats up with that???? I think Sony should give me something 4 my trouble and loyalty to playstation. maybee a $50 network card. I donno somehting.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27 (26,171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Almost all of the problems you have described i had in my previous Slim, but it would also cause Audio to judder as well. It was no more than a month old so I took it back to game and swapped it over for a new one, this one has been running just as well as my Fat and not had any audio judder. The problem slim even did the red light flash as well, so everything seems to be pointing to a fault on your slim bud. I hope you manage to get something sorted asap :Thumbs:
Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27 (26,417 Views)
0 Kudos