02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Slim problems. Help?

26 Replies 29,456 Views Created 13-11-2009

Ok, here's a quick sitrep.

I have a 120GB PS3 Slim. And it has something I like to call Chronic Cooling Disorder, or CCD. Either way, it gets warm pretty fast, and therefore my games have lots of visual glitches and occasionally freezes. Although I haven't determined that it is definitely the problem, I can't think of any other reason. Game glitching and freezing go hand in hand with overheating right? Here's the twist though.

The thing is, I'm running it in a cupboard. Before you jump to conclusions, it is a really, really big cupboard and it is the last place that gets hot in the house. Also, I've got the PS3 sitting on top of a notebook cooler and I turned it around so the vent facing away from the wall. Despite all these measures, all my games start glitching after a while and that really, really ***** me off (By glitching I mean like lots of random walls of unfiltered texture spreading around the screen.) I've tried running it outside the massively cold cupboard with identical results.

I even took it back to JB Hi-Fi to see if they could diagnose the problem. The problem was that on that particular day, when I was running it in that store, it decided not to glitch. So, JB sent me packing with information I'd already guessed. As a result, my guarantee (3 months is it?) is rapidly running out. If I can't get a solution to this, I'm going to run out of warranty and have to pay money or something to diagnose the problem. I considered sending back to Sony, but I'm not quite prepared to send it away for like 6 weeks.

My friend owns a 'fat' PS3 and he runs his a tiny shelf that it barely fits in, and he never has overheating problems. This is because of the front air intake right? 

Is there any solution to my dilemma that doesn't involve spending large amounts of money?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Farscape247

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Farscape247
Accepted Solution
why do you only have 3 months warranty, did youbuy it pre owned, also check your cables as if it works at the shop it should work athome, also take it out of the cupboard for a few hours and put it on  a hard surface and play and see if that stops it, if it does then you will have to keep it out of the cupboard
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Slim problems. Help?

Play More Live More
/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

Farscape247 wrote:
why do you only have 3 months warranty, did youbuy it pre owned, also check your cables as if it works at the shop it should work athome, also take it out of the cupboard for a few hours and put it on  a hard surface and play and see if that stops it, if it does then you will have to keep it out of the cupboard

What is the standard warranty when you buy it new? (Because that's what I did)
0 Kudos

/16

FlunkYou2

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FlunkYou2
Accepted Solution
you have 12 months from the day u brought it :)
0 Kudos

/16

DirkPitt39

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DirkPitt39
Accepted Solution

Braden_rules wrote:

The thing is, I'm running it in a cupboard. Before you jump to conclusions, it is a really, really big cupboard

Does not matter how big of a cupboard it is.  Once it gets full of hot air, your PS3 starts sucking in hot air, from that point on, it's called thermal runaway, as because it's sucking in hot air, the hot air coming out the back is even hotter, which means the hot air it's drawing in is even hotter...  And so forth until your system fails...

Power it up on a table in free air, and then test it again...  (if you haven't broken it already).

0 Kudos

/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

DirkPitt39 wrote:

Braden_rules wrote:

The thing is, I'm running it in a cupboard. Before you jump to conclusions, it is a really, really big cupboard

Does not matter how big of a cupboard it is.  Once it gets full of hot air, your PS3 starts sucking in hot air, from that point on, it's called thermal runaway, as because it's sucking in hot air, the hot air coming out the back is even hotter, which means the hot air it's drawing in is even hotter...  And so forth until your system fails...

Power it up on a table in free air, and then test it again...  (if you haven't broken it already).

It's a really big cupboard and I left the door open as well...Maybe cupboard isn't the best description, maybe small office is closer to the size but if this problem persists when I take it out, does this mean something is definitely wrong? A few weeks back, I woke up one morning and tried turning the PS3 on and the light started flashing red. This is the overheating symbol right? Thing was, it was like really cold and I hadn't used it for ages. I just kept trying and it decided to turn on. This strange phenomenon has happened twice a few months back but hasn't occured again. Has the system suffered damage? Is there any way to verify that it has a problem and will it be covered under warranty?
0 Kudos

/16

H_online

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
H_online
Accepted Solution

if your PS3 is blinking red lights it means you have a hard ware problem. fat ps3s get it somtimes followed by the yellow light. if you have a blinking light because of overheating then SONY is your answer. talk to them. your ps3 has fried. get it fixed before you lose everything you have done on your ps3, although i havent heard of a slim ps3 getting the yellow light, but anything is possible. my fat ps3 has died to a yellow light but it also blinks red, i have to give my ps3 up becuase i have run out of waurenty. you have option of them fixing it which is 6 weeks or you can exchange your ps3 for a referfished one eitherway your harddrive will be wiped clean. stopid thing is you cant back your stuff up. well youcan but you have no chance of loading it back to a ps3.

0 Kudos

/16

Yukicore

72%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yukicore
Accepted Solution

are you saying that your ps3 slim is lagging and getting slower? i got that problem, and i am very dissapointed... my ps3 loadings are getting way more longer and games where the loading happens while playing (draw disitance) are allmost unplayable....

0 Kudos

/16

Richy-R10

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Richy-R10
Accepted Solution

Its probably just a faulty ps3 or something wrong with the blu ray laser, anyway take it back to where you got it and get another, also you have a 1 year warranty from the day you bought it

0 Kudos

/16

Kaos5150c

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kaos5150c
Accepted Solution

No help here but I have a problem too. I bought a brand new PS3 slim 120 gb system 10 days ago. I loved it for the first 9 days. In those days I also had a glitch problem only when playing Battlefield 1943. I have a nice cool apartment and my PS3 sits on an open air shelf. All the sudden it started freezing up. Even when I unpluged the internet it still was freezing. Movies from Netflix were freezing. I called sony support and did all kinds of stuff. Then after all that now I cant even get to my menu. Its fuc*ed. Its done. Now I have to wait 2 weeks 4 a new one and I think its BS. I have a 5 year old PS2 that works all day every day, whats up with that???? I think Sony should give me something 4 my trouble and loyalty to playstation. maybee a $50 network card. I donno somehting.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

dwad69

• Beta Tester
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dwad69
Accepted Solution
Almost all of the problems you have described i had in my previous Slim, but it would also cause Audio to judder as well. It was no more than a month old so I took it back to game and swapped it over for a new one, this one has been running just as well as my Fat and not had any audio judder. The problem slim even did the red light flash as well, so everything seems to be pointing to a fault on your slim bud. I hope you manage to get something sorted asap :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
Hey Braden_rules call Sony on 0844 7360595 and tell them about it, I think they will get you to run through some tests if that doesn't fix it you will either need to get it replaced in the store you bought it from (assuming within 12m warranty) or Sony might be able to arrange an exchange.
0 Kudos

/16

buddahalmighty

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
buddahalmighty
Accepted Solution

I seem to be having a simular issue. Ive had my ps3 for just over a year and this has just occured recently. My ps3 is on its side and is close to my tv. I will put a game into the ps3 and it will try to load and it really struggles. Eventually most of the time after about 6 attempts it will load. But on alot of occasions it wont and it is really bugging me. It will try and load and then after a while it will make an eject noise and then try and load up again. When im trying to load a game after about 5 mins in the console it is rather hot. Can anyone help me ???

0 Kudos

PS3 Slim problems.

/16

bwo-squable

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bwo-squable
Accepted Solution

ya even me i bought a 120 g ps3 and for a week it was working fine. and then the next week it was freezing and i started to panic. and think about this i was playing mw2 and then my ps3 spit out my disk like it wanted to kill me. and you want to know wat else i find weird i went to my friends house and he has a slim too and i put a disk in his ps3 and when i put it in i noticed that it was quiter than mine and his didnt freeze so i started to freak out. then i called sony and they made me run tests on my ps3, it worked for a couple of days and then it started glithcing and freezing again. then i went to gamestop and they told me that dust was building up on the vents of my ps3. so i went home took a vacume cleaner and took out the dust and after that i tried to play again and my ps3 just froze. im confused i have a ps2 and i keep it on  all night when i used to play it and that even had a smaller fan. at least i have a 1 year waranty but sony fuc*ud up on it and i want them to fix the soloution. and you know wat realy bits me in the *****, the fact that they dont make the fat ps3 anymore and even that the stores dont sell them. this bites, i need help!

0 Kudos

/16

Darkforce15

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Darkforce15
Accepted Solution

i have tht same problem with my mw2. when im getting ready to launch in an online game sometimes it would freeze on me. sometimes i can quit the game and others i cant and i have to press the button to shut it off. i have a 120GB ps3 slim. im just wondering if it might be the same problem.

0 Kudos

/16

RADEN912

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RADEN912
Accepted Solution

I had 3 slim 120gb go bad in a 1 month period. I had the first one play fine up until 2 days before the 30 day return period at gamestop expired. I was watching a blu-ray movie and turned to talk to my brother for 1 sec and it shut off and the power light was flashing red. It took 20 mins to get it to turn back on, this was sitting on a desk with plenty of breathing room in an air conditioned room. I got the disc out then it shut off again, the next time i got it on i formatted the drive and then it didnt turn back on. The 2nd one messed up immediately, the audio cut out completely after loading a game, or movie. the 3rd one didnt even turn on. i got a full refund from gamestop at that point. this was all some time last year, i recently bought a 250gb slim after giving sony some time to work the bugs out, still got a bad one. this one i couldnt even access the web browser or go online. played fine for a while then it started freezing constantly while playing red dead redemption. so i formatted the hard drive and took it back to gamestop and got a refund. ive stayed away from ps3 for a while now. i dont own any gaming consoles anymore, just thought i would share my experience with the slims. 

0 Kudos

/16

FRENZIC6464

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FRENZIC6464
Accepted Solution

if there r smears on the game disk or finger prints on the game disk. the game will be loading slow & playing slow. if u want your games to stop being slow or freeze, alway make sure before u put it in the ps3 it is cleaned with a smooth cloth do not clean in circle all the time. it could damage your game! another reason is it could just your ps3 getting too warm. to solve that problem is to get a intercool for your ps3.there r 2 kinds, 1 for slim and 1 for the origional fat ps3. for best performance keep the fan speed on low.u probally have both of these problem. a way u fin out if u have a heating problem is by the game disk is really warm and the on top of the ps3 is really warm in the area where u put the game disk in.

0 Kudos

Re:helping with your ps3 problems

/16

FRENZIC6464

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FRENZIC6464
Accepted Solution

i had the same problems with my ps3 slim. it stoped doin those things right after i got the slim intercooler and i think a ps3 update will help too. a intercooler cost under $20 at fredmeyers.

0 Kudos

Re: helping with your ps3 problems

/16

TooEasyGaming

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TooEasyGaming
Accepted Solution

how long have you owned this system? i own a 40 gb fat, (currently suffering the loss of its Blu Ray laser. it died out.) 

Anyways, the first month i had my system it got HOT. after that, it runs cool for hours. idk why it happened like that, but after being broken in, it will be absolutely fine.

0 Kudos

/16

Otono_Kakuei

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Otono_Kakuei
Accepted Solution

I just happen to pass by this thread :).. I'm about to buy my first PS3 (the slim one) this week, but am right now a bit afraid because of this thread T.T Is the problem that is posted here a universal problem for all PS3 slim users? Will I be able to play using the slim for approximately 8-10 hours a day without worrying of it overheating? Thanks for the reply :)

0 Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never heard of me before?? You'll hear my name often enough from now on ;)
Beta Tester
/16

dwad69

• Beta Tester
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dwad69
Accepted Solution
@Otono dont let this thread put you off bud I have a slim and it runs like a dream as do thousands of other people. With anything made in a factory a small percentage will have a fault thats just the way its. Now go get yourself a PS3 bud :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel