16 Nov 2008
By ITF-GUV

Playstation Staff

PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

6 Replies 35,303 Views Created 16-11-2008

Ok this is driving me crazy and i dont understand why my ps3 plays some videos but for others says the data type is not supported!

Heres an example of my problem.

Movie : Get Rich Or Die Tryin , Type of file format avi. Audio format MPEG Layer-3,Frame rate 23frames/second, Video compression DivX.  Film plays fine on my PS3 using TVersity also Ive copied it to my 250gb hard drive and still works fine.

Now.....

Movie :The.Chronicles.Of.Narnia-Prince.Caspian[2008], Type of file avi. Audio format MPEG Layer-3,Frame rate 23frames/second, Video compression DivX. Film DOES NOT WORK Data is not supported. Bet yet its exactly the same as Get Rich Or Die Tryin.

And so on with all my other films........ Its like a HIT OR MISS some work fine others wont!!!!! they are all the same format as stated above so why is this dumb shi* not playing my movies that I want to have on my hard drive and watch when i want!???????????

When i first had my ps3 they all played fine so why aint they now and what are you clowns updating in these system updates that have stopped them from working! I want this issue to be solved asap as atm, it is simply not GOOD enough and I know over 60 people personally who have the same issue and they aint happy ethier.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (35,303 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re : PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

Video compression is a lot more complicated than just audio codec, video codec and bitrate.

I have a few DivX files that are not recognized either. It seems it has something to do with one of the encoder's parameters being non-standard, but fairly commonly used by some programs. The DivX codec (or Xvid, or ffdshow, or whatever you use) on PC is a lot more complete and fault-tolerant than the one on PS3 (which is pretty bare-bones). Expect DivX files encoded with older versions of DivX or weird parameters to not work on PS3.

The only advice I can offer is to use a small video and make test conversions with different sets of parameters with a high-quality video editing program until you find settings that work well and look good with your PS3, then use that to re-encode your unreadable movie into a readable format.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (35,250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re : PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

Alright, more info:

Most DivX files are often Xvid files to begin with, this isn't really a problem though... From what I could find, it seems videos encoded with QPEL (Quarter Pixels) or GMC (Global Motion Compensation) aren't supported by the PS3. You'll need to re-encode videos made with these parameters activated.

To check if a movie uses QPEL or GMC, use GSpot. Look at the screenshot on the page below. On the right pane, near the top, if QPEL or GMC are highlighted green after loading a movie file into it, it means these options are used in the movie's encoding and these will not work on the PS3:

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/ss_main.html

Search the web for info on how to re-encode movies, with VirtualDub for example

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (35,245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

Get a programme called 'Super' it encodes a multitude of formats and has PS3 and PSP (along with mobile phone and Ipod) settings pre installed. It is free and it works all the time, no hit and miss!

Here is the url: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

It can even encode MP3's from video files which I find very handy. It does too much to explain fully here so check the link and enjoy using a very goo piece of kit!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (35,214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re : Re: PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

I still prefer VirtualDubMod, I feel I have a higher control over what I do than with SUPER

just did some tests yesterday, and sure enough, QPEL and GMC are the culprits (there might be other reasons, but these settings sure as heck don't work on the PS3)... I'll see if any of my non-QPEL/GMC DivX/Xvids don't work, and investigate further if necessary..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (35,177 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re : Re: PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

OK....

Found one file, AVI container, Video Codec: XVid 1.1.0 Final, Audio Codec: MP3 44800Hz160kbps CBR.

For some reason, the sound is completely garbage, but the video plays well. On PC, everything is ok. Must be simply a bad mux.

I re-encoded to a good format just to be sure, but my guess is that using "Direct Stream Copy" on both Audio and Video and simply remuxing the audio in would probably have worked. Didn't lose much quality during the re-encode, so I don't mind.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (35,080 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Video DivX The data type is NOT SUPPORTED!

hey guys this thread helped me find why my videos werent playing on my ps3

will re encoding these video files to ignore those two options allow me to watch on the ps3? and will i lose any quality? ive never encoded or re encoded anything beforeso if there was a guide it would be very helpful

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (22,209 Views)
0 Kudos