30 Apr 2012

Playstation Staff

PS3 Won't start

6 Replies 3,015 Views Created 30-04-2012

My PS3 has a serious error, and i haven't been able to find out what the problem is.  I was in the middle of a game, when the PS3 suddenly shut down completely.  I went over to the PS3 to find that the light was off as well.  I thought, ah ,this must be a power supply failure, but when i hit the power button, the red light came on.  I thought that it must have just been a power cut or something, so i hit the power button again.  The green light same on, the PS3 made an odd noise, and it shut off again.  No red light, nothing.  So i hit the power button again, and the red light came on again.  It follows this same pattern whenever i turn it on.  Is this a serious issue? if so, what can i do to fix it, as this is the third PS3 that has broke on me, and i'd like to keep it a little longer :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (3,015 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Won't start

Hi arrowwind11,

It does sound like your console has developed a fault but before you consider a repair/replacement give the steps in our PlayStation 3 power problem guide a go.

Please let me know how you get on.

SFZ

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (3,012 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

All of the tests are fine, however i can't check on a different PS3, or with a different cable, so that may be the issue.  Its just i'd rather not buy a new cable unless i'm sure that that is the problem.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (3,009 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

This does sound like a power supply unit failure as a common sign of it is the power light switching off.

You may be able to get a plug for the PS3 by "borrowing" one from your PC. You'll need to check the voltage and current and fuse are the same, which you can check by reading the plug and cables. If you aren't sure, then don't do it as you may risk further damage.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (3,004 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Nothing to worry about, if when you pressed the power button it made three beeps, just means your PS3 froze. My PS3 bricks all the time >< if you wanted it to be repaired make sure you've still got the warantee on it, not worth paying for a replacement otherwise.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (3,000 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Alish_Lockheart wrote:

Nothing to worry about, if when you pressed the power button it made three beeps, just means your PS3 froze. My PS3 bricks all the time >< if you wanted it to be repaired make sure you've still got the warantee on it, not worth paying for a replacement otherwise.

From the OP, the person appears to be having power supply issues as the front light is switching off completely, rather than just flashing.

Also, if you hit "My Settings at the top of the page Alish, you can make your signature appear in all posts without having to manually insert it. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (2,998 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I'm new to the forum X) thanks though! xD

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (2,995 Views)
0 Kudos