23 Feb 2008

Playstation Staff

PS3 Wont display main menu

5 Replies 248 Views Created 23-02-2008
Hi There
Sorry if this appears twice I tried to post it before and it didnt seem to work.

I have just loaned my PS3 to a mate and have just got it back from him and reconnected it to my tv. The system comes on but only shows a blank screen. However if I keep pressing x eventually the game that is in will start and seems to display correctly (although the sound isnt working)

If I quit the game the screen just goes black again but I know the system is on.

Te only thing I can thin is that he has changed display settings for his TV and it wont diplay correctly on mine (but why does the game display correctly?) he has a top spec HD Tv and mine is the one down from it. Normally I would just take it back to his and change the settings back but he lives miles away and it isnt convenient to do this.

Does anyone agree that this is my problem? if so does anyone know the seqence of button presses from turning on to change the settings back?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Wont display main menu

Easy fix matey, turn the PS3 off, (into standby) hold down the power button till it bleeps twice, this will reset the display settings, then let the good times roll. :Thumbs:
I am not a member of the PlayStation Support Team, nor am I affiliated with Sony in any way, shape or form.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (248 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for that.
I had found another post that gave the button presses to change to composite and managed to guess the hdmi setting.

Out of interest though I did try the reset but as soon as I press the power button the system turns on. Should I just keep holding it down? This happens when I press the button on the PS3 or on the controller. I would like to know for future reference.

Thanks again
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for that.
I had found another post that gave the button presses to change to composite and managed to guess the hdmi setting.

Out of interest though I did try the reset but as soon as I press the power button the system turns on. Should I just keep holding it down? This happens when I press the button on the PS3 or on the controller. I would like to know for future reference.

Thanks again

Yes it will boot up but holding it down roughly about 10 seconds should enduce the bleeps and reset the display settings. Another method incase anything goes wrong is do a warm reset, by turning the console to standby then switching off the console for 30 seconds by the power switch on the back. It clears the cache on the console so may clear problems. Handy to know. :smileyvery-happy:
I am not a member of the PlayStation Support Team, nor am I affiliated with Sony in any way, shape or form.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (248 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for this. I will keep this in mind if I have any problems again in future
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

No problem, I assume you got it sorted? If so, happy playing. :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (248 Views)
0 Kudos