09 May 2009
By: chalky1108

5 Posts

PS3 Wont play Blue Ray DVD's or PS3 games

11 Replies 4,797 Views Created 09-05-2009
Hello
I have had my PS3 60GB unit for a year and half now but it has stopped playing games and blue ray films. DVD,s, CD,s and games from the hard drive are working fine but it seems that the blue ray lens is having problems picking up the games, well when i say that it picks the game up (it shows the disc in the game menu) and it will load but after say 5 to 10 mins it just freezes and stops working so i have to switch it off from the back of the machine because nothing else works, if i then take the disc out after switching it back on and put it back in it will do the above again. I have tried many games and i get the same problem.
I have called sony (not so helpfull) help line who told me to re-formate it and try it again and if that don't work call back with proof of purchase and they will arrange for it to be picked up so i done the above and it didnt work so i called back and was told it was out of warrenty and that it would cost me £150 pounds to get a recon machine sent out. Well i think after spending £350 on a machine it should last alot longer than 17 months and the fact that so many people ( i mean 1000,s) have had the same problem you (sony) should be repairing these for Free.
I have already emailed the careline to tell them how unhappy i am and they have replyed by telling me a memeber of management will call me back but 3 days later i have heard nothing. I see people say the Sony's careline is very good but i think they don't care about you once your machine is over 1 year old.
I have a op on Wednesday so i am going to be laid up for 2 weeks with nothing to do now because sony wont pull there finger out, i wont be buying another PS3 as i don't have £300 or £150 for a recon unit (which only has 3 months warrenty) so unless anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem it looks like i will have to trade my games in to fund a Xbox but i really want to stick with my PS3.
Can anyone help me please
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (4,797 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: PS3 Wont play Blue Ray DVD's or PS3 games

Try this http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=147&thread.id=28562

If it doesn't work then try using a dvd or blu ray lens cleaner on the PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (4,770 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks
I have tried this solution already and now it does not read any discs at all, i have also tried a DVD lens clearner and this has done nothing. I think its just about had it and me too
Thanks for the info
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (4,771 Views)
0 Kudos

hey! thought you might like to know this as i had the same problem....my ps3 is 13 months old. then suddenly wouldnt play cds dvds blue ray or games blah blah blah...and i tried every method shown on every forum

just got off the phone with sony cs and they basically told me to ***** off, they said because it was 13 months old they wouldnt do anything for me apart from sell me a new one. i said it was disgusting that  they would be so crappy when microsoft picked up my 360, repaired it, gave me another years warranty all for free and this was when my warranty was 2 years out of date! microsoft great customer service, playstation awful. ill never buy another sony machine again no wonder playstation sales are so dire i used to think that sony stood for quality build and service but i guess not!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (4,679 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, i got there carecentre manager to call me but he said the same, no warranty so no repair but they will sell me another unit for £145 but that only comes with 3 months warranty so i said thanks but no thanks. I took all my games into Game and traded them in for a Xbox as i think it is wrong that Sony wont help me and i will never buy another PS3 again.

This is the first time i have used a Xbox as i have always been a Sony man but to be fair i think the product is just as good, its taking me a little while to get use to the dashboard and online is so much better.

So we are just another two people on top of the 1000's who have just walked away from Sony, if i was the man in charged i think i would be doing something about it now but never mind i have my Xbox now

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (4,660 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Same as me, my 60 GB dies after 9 months so I got a refurb one.

The refurb one is now a vacuum cleaner, but they will only repair it for £ 145 as its 14 months old now, so get lost is the message.

Have XBOX 360 now as well and the new models are so quiet, and with 3 years warranty.

Sony have a load of 60 GB vacuum cleaner fan models generating so much heat they fry and dont last long. Until they acknowledge its a DUD then its tough.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (4,644 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Good luck with you're 360.If you think you've had problems with the ps3, then you've got 10x more heading your way now!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (4,628 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Question to the OP:

Did this start happening after system software update 2.76?

60gb console YLOD- 20/3/10 :smileysad: Now a happy owner of a 250gb PS3 Slim :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (4,585 Views)
0 Kudos

no i dont think so but i had just got the new motorstorm and i had to do a update on that b4 i could play it and since then i have had nothing but problems with playing disc's
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (4,582 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

mine died after updating to 2.76. I called Sony and they are happy to take $375 NZ of me to repair it. The girl who answered gave me the standard BS saying that they have had NO REPORTS of this happening to anyone else. 

They don't listen to anything from google according to Lisel on the NZ/Aus help line.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (4,564 Views)
0 Kudos