03 Mar 2012

Playstation Staff

PS3 can't obtain a wireless IP address!

11 Replies 51,738 Views Created 03-03-2012

Hi, my PS3 decided it'd be fun to make my life difficult.

Just this Thursday, my PS3 just lost connection to the internet. Normally when this happens, all i have to do is either test the internet connection, or go to internet connection settings, and then everything is back to normal. But no, not this time. My PS3 just refuses to find my IP address, and at one point, it has shown me an error code. This error code was "80029020". I have tried easy configurations, and there wasn't an IP address found. I have a Belkin N600DB router that has been providing me the internet since December, after my old router fried. My computer and my iPod can connect to the internet just fine, but this PS3 can't because it can't find an IP address. I've reset and shut off my router for 30 seconds to 10 minutes and nothing has helped. And I've unplugged and re-plugged the cords. Nothing has helped.

Please, is there an actuall solution out there that actually works? I always have no luck finding solutions to fixing this Sony device, and it's driving me to the limit.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (51,738 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 can't obtain a wireless IP address!

Can't you enter the IP adress manually when setting up?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (51,733 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i just got the same problem today, have you got it sorted yet?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (51,273 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

The Error code 80029020 points to "Network connection Timed Out". In the knowledge base it gives this advice. Maybe it'll be of some assistance:

80029020 Network connection timed out

Description: The PlayStation®3 system timed out when trying to connect to the Internet. If on a wireless connection, the PlayStation 3 wasn’t able to detect the wireless access point.

Try this:

•  Make sure the wireless access point (router) is turned on or try moving the PlayStation 3 closer to the access point.
  •  If you continue to have issues, click on the type of connection you have and try some troubleshooting steps.
  1. Wireless Connection
  2. Wired Connection

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (51,267 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi, I just got the same problem and had it since Tuesday, still not solved would appreciate to find out if you have a solution since the post, cheers
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (51,264 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi, I got the same problem. It first happen this wednesday, I just couldn't connect on internet with my PS3 slim. It never happen that bad before. Usually a simple resetting of the router was working, but I tried it and nothing changed. I also tried to enter manually some of the DNS that was proposed by some people, but it still couldn't connect to internet. I know that it is not the router in itself because I had no problems with any other devices that use the wireless connection.

I don't know if it is a PSN problem?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (51,260 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Did you try the tips on the ends of the two links I posted?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (51,254 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I tried most of them that applied to my problem. The only one I haven't try yet is to restore to default settings. I can try it, but I doubt it will work.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (51,252 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

I agree that that one probably won't work. I reckon it's a problem with the way the network is set up being incompatible with the PS3, or interference with another network. You could try changing the Channel of the network in the router settings as a neighbour might be using the same one and causing the PS3 difficulty.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (51,247 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have checked that possibility and basically I don't think that is possible because when I manage my routeur I don't see anything else than my computer and my PS3 on it. I didn't change anything on my system lately, but I know that I have been seing some problems with the shared documents from the computer with PS3. I put that option on disable, but it didn't put the network on ok.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (51,230 Views)
0 Kudos