03 Oct 2011

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 controller charging failed

6 Replies 2,094 Views Created 03-10-2011

My controller only works when plugged in.

Is there any ways to fix that so i can use it wireless?
Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (2,094 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 controller charging failed

When did this start happening? How old is the controller? It may have just lost sync with the console. You can reset the controller by inserting a pin, needle or some other small pointer into the little hole on the back of the controller. It's in the top-right corner of the middle section to the right of a larger screw hole.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (2,088 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

It happened today, it charged fine last night. i bought the ps3 (slim 160 gb) a month ago,still brand new.The thing is as soon as i unplug it,it shut down.can i reset it while it's plugged?

Image0513.jpg

this is what it looks like on the "turn off the system" screen.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (2,083 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Looks like a battery issue. You can replace controller batteries, but getting the unit back together again can prove fiddly.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (2,066 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

bangbng80 wrote:

My controller only works when plugged in.

Is there any ways to fix that so i can use it wireless?
Thanks

Hi bang,

You can certainly try resetting the controller via the back with a small pin. Additionally if you are able to try a different USB cable to check if this makes any difference to the charging of the console and to check the issue doesn't lie elsewhere.

If there is indeed an issue with the controller battery internally, there is a years warranty to cover this. The controllers purchased independantly of the console are covered with the store it was purchased from.

The controller with the console is covered under the manufacturers warranty, so it might be worth contact the support line for help.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (2,064 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I didnt even know the controller battery can be replaced ( thanks Nakatu_Hime) let alone a reset button ( thanks chimpanzee).These two options will come in handy later in life.

I called the support helpline (thanks Rabidwalker) and they suggested since it was a lil over a month i should contact the store i bought the ps3  and ask if they can replace it( plan A) or send the controller to SCE customer services and fix it but it will take 7 days from the day they receive it ( plan B) .

Frankly 7 days without playing my ps3,i think my fingers will get arthritis.(excuse my ignorance)

Thanks for the help guys

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (2,055 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi.

I just replaced my console, and found the USB lead I had used before wasn't liked by the new console.

End result I had to use a different USB lead to charge my controller.

It might not be the same thing for you, but it is worth trying :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (2,051 Views)
0 Kudos