05 Nov 2008
By reubsy
Playstation Staff

PS3 making clicking/grinding noise?

11 Replies 23,042 Views Created 05-11-2008

wondering if anyone can help me with this, my ps3 has just started making a weird noise, i have looked for videos on you tube etc but cannot find any similar problems.

when the ps3 is turned on as normal or i am playing games off the HDD or browsing there is no problem, its when i put in a game (disc) it makes a very annoying clicking/grinding sound. it sounds like the sound a laptop would make. the sound is constant throughout the time the disc is in the PS3 and stops once the disc is removed, so im guessing its the laser reading the discs? is it normal? its not very loud and all games are workin fine i just dont want the system burnin out on me lol, ill get a video up soon as.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (23,042 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 making clicking/grinding noise?

Don't worry, theres nothing wrong with your PS3 it's just the Disk drive reading, I get it too, nothing to worry about. =)

Though if it gets really really bad I would call Sony.
Oh, and would I be right in saying that's louder on certain games? That's just the speed the laser is reading it.

Hope that helped :smileyhappy:
I wub moshii :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (23,060 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

yea it gets faster at certain times
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (23,056 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

oh that sweeet, yea sometimes its louder wehn playing certain games, it just worried me coz it was constant throughout the game, like it wouldnt stop making the noise until the game had been quit.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (23,055 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

yea that makes sense w/ laser speed and  all but mine just started doing it it hasnt been making that noise for any game and i got my ps3 like in fall of 08 had it for 1 year now no probs until today working fine no skipping or freezing but just grinding sound
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (22,275 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

oh yea and its not fans cuz i hear it louder when i put my ear to disc slot than i do in the back of ps3
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (22,274 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

my Slim does it aswell, but when it 'clicks' the game stutters (only noticed it during FIFA though), is this still normal?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (22,274 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Mine just recently started making that noise, and its getting worse.  I think something has to be going out on it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (22,000 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

This might be related to the increased bluray disks reading speed in the 3.01 update.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (21,962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yo,

My PS3 makes the same weird indescribable noise. It all started when i played the Fifa10 demo, the same thing happened with Fifa09 and Fifa10..  I thought it was Fifa, so i tested my GTA IV game.. the same ***** happened! It really makes me mad, because i paid a lot and i don't have my PS3 for a long time. 

Some symptoms:

1. Weird clicking/grinding noise starts with Fifa.

2. It only occurs while a game is playing, not in the main menu.

3. It is annoying. 

Should i ask a new PS3? because i have 1 year guarantee! 

or,

Should i contact the retail store?

thanks!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (21,937 Views)
0 Kudos