22 May 2010

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 no signal?

[ Edited ]
16 Replies 54,692 Views edited 23-12-2011

hello, in advanced i apologise for the pure rage in this post

My ps3 has slowly but surely stopped being recognised by and TV. In my old flat it was run through the hdmi cable and it was fine. i moved to Germany left my ps3 at home and my GF said that it wasn’t working, all cables attached and no TV signal. when i poped back home for the weekend i got it working but it was very intermittent, some times it would come up others no signal. i brought it to Germany with me for red dead and now my tv wont pick it up at all, bought a new scart cable and nothing.

to summarise i think the rgb/scart out on my ps3 is broken but since this web site is so terrible their support consists of fellow ps3 users. i cant find a number or email address on this supposed "support" web site.

Suggestions welcome :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (54,692 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 no signal????

did you bring the hd cable with you? or do you have the hd cable plugged in now??
If you used a hd cable on your ps3 before, sometimes it does not work with a tv if it doesnt have a hd cable in again.
Hope i helped ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (54,685 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

It could well be that your PS3 is still trying to output on HDMI, but you're using composite, so nothing is going out via that lead :smileyhappy:

from standby, hold the front on/off button until it beeps twice, which resets the video to standard settings - your should then get a picture and the options to change resolutions etc :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (54,674 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

No, actually this is a problem with a lot of PS3's.  Mine is having this problem right now... again.  I tried unplugging everything, switching HDMI inputs (physically & by remote selection), holding down the power for 5 seconds, taking the disc out, turning the unit upside down (for no good reason), and almost every combination of the afore mentioned. 

If Sony has publicly addressed this VERY COMMON issue, please let us know.  Otherwise, it would seem that they are trying to ignore/deny that this actually happens at totally random intervals, and it's not a user error.  I used to be a video technician and fixed video gaming machines, so I know it's not user error that's causing this, because I'm 100% sober. It's most likely some poor design of the circuitry in the signal path to the HDMI outputs.  If anything gets changed in newer models, is there any way for the public to find out? Or can Sony choose not to disclose that information?  I've had my PS3 for only 6 months. 

This is the only advice I can find that Sony gives... which doesn't help: 

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C453814

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17 (54,621 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I had the problem and TTDegs solution worked for me.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (52,866 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I had the same problem. I still can't get the HDMI output to work, so I am now using the AV output, though it is only 480p, but at least it is better than nothing. I tried to reset the HDMI connection from the settings, but to no avail.  I also tried holding the startup button for two beeps as recommended by the manual but this did not help. Is there a software solution, or does the circuitry need to be physically replaced?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17 (52,037 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Try a different HDMI lead, make sure its at least ver 1.3  and that its good quality. Poor quality leads work exactly the same as good quality ones at first but they do seem to die easier.

Good luck

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17 (52,029 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I also have this same issue and it is really starting to give me the sh*ts!

I have my PS3 linked up to a Yamaha amp / receiver and then to a projector. It worked great for about 8 months and then I noticed a slight flicker at the bottom of the screen every so often. Over a period of a month the flicker increased to half the screen blanking out.  This progressed to the 'no signal' flicking on for a second or 2 and at times cuts out more often than it is on. I replaced all my HDMI cables (with others I have around the house that I know work) and still no signal. I tested the amp on all other inputs / outputs and and the amp was ok. To make sure I also bypassed the amp and linked the PS3 directly to the projector, I still had no signal. As the projector was still under warranty I took the opportunity to take it back to the shop. They sent it off for analysis but when it came back they said it was working 100% and had no problems. When I linked it all back up it all worked OK and I had a picture again so put it down to the projector. However, after a few months the problem started again in exactly the same way. This time I unplugged every cable (power, HDMI) for the complete system. After a couple of hours I plugged it all back in again and hey presto it worked again. This has happened several times now and can only put it down to a static build up in either the HDMI cable or output from the PS3. The only issue now is that the problem seems to happen more often and I really want a permanent fix.

Any ideas????

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17 (51,469 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

DUDE U ARE LIKE MY HERO RIGHT NOW ;D

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (50,036 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

its really getting on my nerves now!!!!!!!!!!:Help:

sometimes if u are on standby u press and hold the on/off button till it beeps twice

HOPE IT WORCKS!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17 (40,775 Views)
0 Kudos