10 Apr 2012

Playstation Staff

PS3 not displaying picture

15 Replies 2,292 Views Created 10-04-2012

I have one of the old style PS3s, 80GB (CECHL03) and there is no meny on the TV, there is also no audio via the amp

PS3 has HDMI to TV and Optical to AV amp

tried the reset where you have in on standyby press and hold powerm, beeps then a few seconds later beeps again, no joy

tried the regular composite connection and tried the reset, no joy

tried on another TV via HDMI, no joy

the light is green on the front

any ideas

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (2,292 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 not displaying picture

Can you get into Ps3 safe mode at all?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (2,285 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

cannot get an image on screen, is safe mode the same as pressing power button for the beeps?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (2,284 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Its ur software on ur hdd thats corrupt either ur bios or an update can walk u thru just hit me up on psn under my user name. Its to do with the booting off ur bios on ur hdd, take ur hdd out and try doing safe mode with just the hdmi or just the av cables should get a display saying carnt read hdd so then u no Its ur hdd. if nothing still comes up then Its ur xmb which involves taking out the battery on the motherboard and updating the the bios on ur hdd which includes formatting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (2,276 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Try connecting your PS3 to the TV via Component or SCART cables and hold for the second beep. This will reset the video settings and display Via that connector. Are you able to get a picture by doing this?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (2,272 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Tried connecting the component options and held for the 2nd beep, still no image of screen. although the screen did flash.

also removed the hard drive and powered on, nothing on screen.

I think it has to do with the back panel of the PS3 ive tried a different HDMI socket and a different TV, no joy.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (2,263 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

It doesn't look too promising. You've changed about everything possible and it's still not working, so I'd have to guess and say it's an internal problem.

You could contact customer support and see if they can give you any advice, but you may be better off just buying a new one :smileysad:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Contact-Us-Playstation-Support-Number/m-p/3751...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (2,259 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

OK, I managed to solve this, after eventually getting it into safe mode.

The hard drive was corrupt, ended up doing a full restore, so lost all the games saves but its a small price to pay.

Now I can only assume this was caused by powering off whilst data was being written, so what is the correct procedure for powering off the PS3

generally I do the following, press the PS button on the controller and ***** down system

when the red light is on i power off from the rear

am i missing anything here and doing it wrong?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (2,256 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Don't use the power switch on the rear of the console at any time. It was only included to comply with stupid EU regulations and can cause more harm than good.
Instead, simply leave it on standby. It's using basically no power in this mode and is the safest way to leave it for the internals :smileyhappy: If you really need to switch it off, turn it off and wait about 10 seconds after the red LED turns on, then use the wall switch.
Another piece of advice for ensuring you don't have issues is turning off remote start. This can cause errors as the system is never fully switched off. (You can tell if remote start is enabled as the WiFi light is on even when the system is off).

If in doubt use the power button on the front. If the system is completely unresponsive, hold the front power button for 15 seconds and a force shutdown will be initiated.

Hopefully that answers your problems :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (2,253 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

leaving on standby isn't really an option so ill do the wall plug option. I dont think remote start is on but ill double check, thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (2,249 Views)
0 Kudos