tobyloby

88%
03 Rank
Progress

PS3 not playing games, DVDs, or CDs

14 Replies 10,647 Views Created 11-07-2010
11 Jul 2010
By tobyloby

Hello there. Recently my PS3 does not play games, DVDs or CDs. My PS3 loads as usual but if I insert a game for instance, the game does not appear. It is as if the playstation doesn't even know it has a game inside it. At first I believed it may have been the laser. If therefore tried playing a game which doesn't require the laser to play - PS3 Home. However, this game fails to load and freezes on a black screen. I therefore tried other games I have on my PS3 hardware such as battlefield 1943, tekken 5 yet they all fail to load. I therefore concluded that it wasn't my laser playing up.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

The PlayStation I have now was a replacement of my previous PS3 as it unfortunately got the "Yellow Light of Death" as some call it. Because of this, Sony replaced it without any charge even though my warranty had expired.

I have no idea what is wrong with my PlayStation. It was working fine the day before, but then it just packed in. It has been like this for the last week.

Anyone with any advice is greatly appreciated. However, I would appreciate a Sony employee contacting about this situation.

Regards,

James

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
Hi James

I'm not a Sony employee, but hopefully have some advice that MAY help.

My initial guess would be that your PS3 has corrupted some important drivers along the way somewhere.

To try and get it to sort itself out, you can use safe boot mode, option 3 - see link below, but be sure to read about the implications of choosing the wrong option.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

Note that occasionally, a second safe boot may be required, choosing option 4 this time.

Backup of game saves are always a good idea before you do option 4, just in case.
You have 2 options - individual saves to usb stick, or a full backup to external usb HDD

good luck! :)
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 not playing games, DVDs, or CDs

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sizzelman

28%
02 Rank
Progress
sizzelman
Accepted Solution

excatly the same problem as me. cant find whre to fix it anywhere. so if you find a solution pleease please post it up!!! i would love to know. thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
sizzelman - did you try my suggestion above?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sizzelman

28%
02 Rank
Progress
sizzelman
Accepted Solution
yea, i did them about a week ago. I did all of them just to be sure. deleted all my games and everything and nothing has changed..
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sizzelman

28%
02 Rank
Progress
sizzelman
Accepted Solution
to be hones ti dont really min dabout having to take it somehwere to get fixed. and then them removing the sticker. I just want it fixed so i can play :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
your best bet is either to go direct to Sony (£130 ish), or google for a PS3 repairer who is close-ish to you, or does repairs by mail.

Once you have a list of names and prices, pop back into the PS3 General Discussion board and see if anyone else has used, or can recommend them :)

A 3rd party repair will be cheaper, but may have ramifications further down the line if you ever decide to sell the PS3 (as it won't have the warranty sticker, which will immediately tell the buyer that it has been opened)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sizzelman

28%
02 Rank
Progress
sizzelman
Accepted Solution
aparntly its the laser broken . do you no where to buy a laser from? ive jsut taken my p3s apart and found it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
If you are intent on going down the DIY route, your best bet is to search (google) for whichever unit you need, and then look for a lot of positive comments on the seller :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sizzelman

28%
02 Rank
Progress
sizzelman
Accepted Solution
how do i tell how big my unit is? i brought it a while ago and forgot how big it is is there a way to tell?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
How big?

as in disc size to work out which laser you need?

Easiest way (assuming you're in the UK) is to look at the front.
If you have 4 USB ports, you have a 60Gb PS3 :)
If you have just 2, you have a 40 or 80Gb

But the very best way is to look at the serial number on the back, which should be in the format CECH 'something' - and the 'something' is the important letter :)
'A' = 60Gb
'G' = early 40Gbs
'H' = later 40Gbs
etc :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sackboy534

21%
02 Rank
Progress
sackboy534
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I just want to thank TTDegs - whoever you are. My son had exactly the same problem as James. Games on both CDs and games he had bought from the Playstation Store and which were stored on the hard disc were both freezing with a black screen (or rather the faint snow storm). So the PS3 was functioning and the cause did not appear to be the CD reader/drive. I was unable to save any game saves to a flash drive. I got an error message "The back up operation could not be completed (8001002A)". My son was not overly bothered by this. He was more concerned about trying anything that would bring his PS3 back to life !

So, I followed the link in your post and went through the Safe Boot process and chose Option 3 to Restore the File System. This quickly came up with a message saying that the Hard Disk's file system was corrupt and would be restored. After about 5 minutes, it finished whatever it was doing and the PS3 started up.

As a precaution (though I don't know against what - probably a suspicion that it might still be in some sort of safe mode !), I decided to power the PS3 down, turn off at the mains and switch it all back on as normal.

And since then (well, 10 minutes ago !) it has been fine. Games on CD are working and games on the HDD are fine. And the plus is that my son's games saves do not appear to have been lost. So he is a happy bunny again and I can have my TV back which he had taken over with the Wii whilst his PS3 was down. Too many games consoles !

So, TTDegs, whoever you are, well done with your post. It has worked. Many many thanks.

Andy.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
Nice one Andy, cheers, glad it worked for you :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EliT3-_PR0T3GE

20%
02 Rank
Progress
EliT3-_PR0T3GE
Accepted Solution

Hello HTTdegs i too am having this problem as we speak, i have tried the link that u posted but the link was down for maintenance, how do i get to the options ofsafe rebooting?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Franck_733

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Franck_733
Accepted Solution

Hi TTDegs

My ps3 has the same problem but it only happenes when i'm singed online do you have any solutions for me.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel