11 Jul 2010
Playstation Staff

PS3 not playing games, DVDs, or CDs

14 Replies 9,127 Views Created 11-07-2010

Hello there. Recently my PS3 does not play games, DVDs or CDs. My PS3 loads as usual but if I insert a game for instance, the game does not appear. It is as if the playstation doesn't even know it has a game inside it. At first I believed it may have been the laser. If therefore tried playing a game which doesn't require the laser to play - PS3 Home. However, this game fails to load and freezes on a black screen. I therefore tried other games I have on my PS3 hardware such as battlefield 1943, tekken 5 yet they all fail to load. I therefore concluded that it wasn't my laser playing up.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

The PlayStation I have now was a replacement of my previous PS3 as it unfortunately got the "Yellow Light of Death" as some call it. Because of this, Sony replaced it without any charge even though my warranty had expired.

I have no idea what is wrong with my PlayStation. It was working fine the day before, but then it just packed in. It has been like this for the last week.

Anyone with any advice is greatly appreciated. However, I would appreciate a Sony employee contacting about this situation.

Regards,

James

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (9,127 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 not playing games, DVDs, or CDs

Hi James

I'm not a Sony employee, but hopefully have some advice that MAY help.

My initial guess would be that your PS3 has corrupted some important drivers along the way somewhere.

To try and get it to sort itself out, you can use safe boot mode, option 3 - see link below, but be sure to read about the implications of choosing the wrong option.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

Note that occasionally, a second safe boot may be required, choosing option 4 this time.

Backup of game saves are always a good idea before you do option 4, just in case.
You have 2 options - individual saves to usb stick, or a full backup to external usb HDD

good luck! :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (9,129 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

excatly the same problem as me. cant find whre to fix it anywhere. so if you find a solution pleease please post it up!!! i would love to know. thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (9,119 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

sizzelman - did you try my suggestion above?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (9,115 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

yea, i did them about a week ago. I did all of them just to be sure. deleted all my games and everything and nothing has changed..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (9,105 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

to be hones ti dont really min dabout having to take it somehwere to get fixed. and then them removing the sticker. I just want it fixed so i can play :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (9,105 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

your best bet is either to go direct to Sony (£130 ish), or google for a PS3 repairer who is close-ish to you, or does repairs by mail.

Once you have a list of names and prices, pop back into the PS3 General Discussion board and see if anyone else has used, or can recommend them :smileyhappy:

A 3rd party repair will be cheaper, but may have ramifications further down the line if you ever decide to sell the PS3 (as it won't have the warranty sticker, which will immediately tell the buyer that it has been opened)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (9,103 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

aparntly its the laser broken . do you no where to buy a laser from? ive jsut taken my p3s apart and found it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (9,097 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

If you are intent on going down the DIY route, your best bet is to search (google) for whichever unit you need, and then look for a lot of positive comments on the seller :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (9,091 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

how do i tell how big my unit is? i brought it a while ago and forgot how big it is is there a way to tell?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (9,055 Views)
0 Kudos