13 Dec 2008
By: ZeroTech82

2 Posts

PS3 not reading Blu-Ray Discs, but wait...

15 Replies 67,613 Views Created 13-12-2008

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me with this.

I know there have been a lot of posts about the PS3's not reading discs but mine will eventually read them if i follow the following steps.

1. Put the disc into drive(does not load even if disc autostart is on)

2. Load a Demo or Game from the Hard-Drive.

3. Press the PS button

And hey presto the disc appears on the XMB everytime. So i just load the game from there and quit whatever game i'm in.

Now this has only happened me 2 days after downloading the 2.53 update but the unit was not used during those two days. So my question is is this a hardware problem or software!!! I have contacted Customer Service and they will replace my console even though i have it 18 months now. But in the same week 2 of my mates consoles had the same problem bar being able to load the discs from the XMB through another game. So where do we stand is Firmware updates causing Blu-Ray Drive Malfunctions or are the drives so tempremental that there are so many fixes to what seem like the same problems....

PS3 CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE GREAT FOR REPLACING THE UNIT. BUT AN ANSWER IS REQUIRED AS TO THE CAUSE OF THESE FAULTS. DO I BLINDLY TAKE THE REPLACEMENT(REFURBISHED UNIT) WAIT 3 MONTHS TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT ON THAT THEN HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ALL OVER AGAIN?

BTW - PS3 Model is 60gb.

Regards,

ZeroTech82

http://media.playfire.com/site/trophy_widget/psn/ZeroTech82.png
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (67,613 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 not reading Blu-Ray Discs, but wait...

Don,t go for a refurb been there done that, only had it back less than 2 weeks.

am going to try your three steps to try get it working but a solution needs to be done mine is a 60 GB console too

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (67,479 Views)
0 Kudos

Add me to the list as well :smileysad:

60gb

Will read dvd's,cd's and blu-rays bu give it a  game now and it fails to read it. When I give it a game and then go into a demo then it will play the game :smileysad:

I'm just trying to find a contact number for support right now and see what they say :s

Cheers

JIM

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (67,137 Views)
Level 8

Hey Jim heres the customer support number  08705 99 88 77

There is a possibility that the HDD has become corrupted (turning off the PS3 from the back is a common culprit) and as a result the drivers for the blu ray drive aren't working reuslting in no games being read.

I've taken to solution below from this thread, thanks to Sonnyjimba for creating it.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=147&thread.id=28562

The current version of the ps3 firmware has a “recovery console”. 
You access it by 

1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)

2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try) 

4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button

You will now have a screen with these options

1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.

CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. The one that fixed my blu-ray drive is option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (67,136 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks I did find the number and they recommended creating a new user and trying with that user or a full system restore :Cry: which I was less enthused about having to try!

It is interesting though that the games will read but not without a bit of a kick...

I'll post back when I've tried but thanks again :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (67,131 Views)
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Thank you very much :smileyvery-happy: Job done

I think that Sony support might have told me to try that first though rather than telling me to bin everything and start again !

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

<goes back to working from home safe in the knowledge that the ps3 is in a happier frame of mind :smileywink: >

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (67,131 Views)
0 Kudos

Sir you are a genious, been onto Sony for a couple of days. After a full re install and still not working they asume the problem is hardware. My 60gb works perfetcly apart from not reading Bule ray (which happened just after an update)

Just ran through your solution and Bob has just become my uncle.

I'll pass on the tip giving you full credit, as I feel this proves the hardware vs software issue.

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (66,600 Views)
0 Kudos

Hey guys, I have the same problem, I did a full system restore that took 3 bloody hours, and stillnothing, which I'm pretty ***** off by. I have fixed the corrupt files on the drive via going into the system menu and choosing option 3 countless times, and still nothing, I've also called Sony a few times, and they tell me the same thing, that I have to send it away and pay *****ing money to get it *****ing fixed, which I shouldn't have to do..! There has to be a simple answer..!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (64,624 Views)
0 Kudos

i have tried both of these ways (playin demo and reset with option 3 ) none have worked it only happened the other day after a update on my orignal 60gb but my new 120gb is fine? my 60gb is my 3rd recontioned one aswell

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (64,506 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

may I humbly point you in the direction of my "FAQ - what to do when your blu-ray fails" thread? :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (64,488 Views)
0 Kudos