26 Oct 2008
By KY-LLER
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 not reading disc

22 Replies 16,487 Views Created 26-10-2008

Unfortunately, my PS3 is no longer able to read discs (of all kind).

It occured when beginning to play Resistance this morning. After inserting the disc, I had managed to get to the main menu screen of the game, but had realised that I had not switched on my internet connection.

I used the PS button to acces the XMB (to go to Network Settings) and enable my network connection, of which, it gave me the prompt that I had to exit the game in order to do so.

I chose 'Yes' to exit the game, and did what I needed to do from the XMB.

When I went back to load up the game, the blue light just flashed for a while with no response.

I ejected the disc, switched off the machine and tried again a few minutes later, only to discover that it would not read any discs at all - although the little disc spinning logo in the top right corner still appears.

I may answer my own question when I say that I have read through other parts of the forum, and it appears that there is no 'fix' as such, apart from getting a replacement. Is this still the case?

This leads me to ask, in anticipation of having to get my PS3 replaced, can I just use any external HDD to backup all of my data?

And will I definitely be able to restore all this data onto another PS3?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23 (16,487 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 not reading disc

Back up your data to a FAT32 formatted external harddrive. Downloads can be re-downloaded from the store.

:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23 (16,496 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

hi

i have same probleem i had ps3 for 4weeks and it didnot read audio,dvd,foto's nothing 

i whent back to the store they told mi the blueray is brock i'm still wating for repair 3weeks now

KY-LLER schreef:

Unfortunately, my PS3 is no longer able to read discs (of all kind).

It occured when beginning to play Resistance this morning. After inserting the disc, I had managed to get to the main menu screen of the game, but had realised that I had not switched on my internet connection.

I used the PS button to acces the XMB (to go to Network Settings) and enable my network connection, of which, it gave me the prompt that I had to exit the game in order to do so.

I chose 'Yes' to exit the game, and did what I needed to do from the XMB.

When I went back to load up the game, the blue light just flashed for a while with no response.

I ejected the disc, switched off the machine and tried again a few minutes later, only to discover that it would not read any discs at all - although the little disc spinning logo in the top right corner still appears.

I may answer my own question when I say that I have read through other parts of the forum, and it appears that there is no 'fix' as such, apart from getting a replacement. Is this still the case?

This leads me to ask, in anticipation of having to get my PS3 replaced, can I just use any external HDD to backup all of my data?

And will I definitely be able to restore all this data onto another PS3?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23 (16,483 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

tbh that wasnt rly much of a solution more of a cop out

is there atchually some wayh to fix the ps without getting a replacement?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23 (16,468 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I've backed up my data, which was, literally, as easy and simple as hitting a button - don't know why I didn't do it before.

Also, called up the careline, and I must say that I'm rather impressed. Managed to get through with a minimal wait, and the process took less than 10 minutes, with a desired outcome - courier coming round next week to pick up the faulty PS3 to be fixed.

I've just got to survive a week or two without the console.

Thanks to the replies.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23 (16,406 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi guys, my PS3 also get the same problem. I called the care center and they say the will help after I do the system restore and everything (to check whether it is sufficient to solve the problem). Unfortunately the system restore does not solve the problem and I wil call em again this monday.

Do you know how much they charge you to pick up your PS3? Do you live in the Netherlands? Do you have to pay for the repair? Tx in advance.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23 (16,221 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just got my PS3 back today, and once again, I must say how impressed I am - it has taken less than a week to receive my fixed PS3 [since when it was originally collected].

Thank you Sony!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23 (16,112 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

what a joke.... I've had my PS3 since April 2008 played it maybe a few times a month, watched plenty of DVD's on it, it just stopped reading games and DVD's last week when I updated to play my new game tekken 6, plenty of mates had the same problem and either paid $150 or got it done free to get it fixed but when I rang yesterday they told me it will cost $250. What a f****n ripoff just bought a few new games and I gotta pay $250 to play them and wait God knows how long to get it back, maybe after xmas if I'm lucky.... VERY RUDE AND UNFAIR!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23 (14,865 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

what a joke.... I've had my PS3 since April 2008 played it maybe a few times a month, watched plenty of DVD's on it, it just stopped reading games and DVD's last week when I updated to play my new game tekken 6, plenty of mates had the same problem and either paid $150 or got it done free to get it fixed but when I ran...g yesterday they told me it will cost $250. What a f#####n ripoff just bought a few new games and I gotta pay $250 to play them and wait God knows how long to get it back, mayvbe after xmas if I'm lucky.... Rude *****!!!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23 (14,864 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i have the same problem , i am an owner of a ps3, 80gb model, it stopped reading discs. The other day after about 5 months of not playing a playstation game, although i did use it watch movies from an external drive, i turned it on to play a new game i purchased and found the blu ray drive no longer detecting my games, dvd's and blu rays. i went on google and researched and found many people had the same problem, most say it was because of a firmware update, another was that it wasnt used enough and the laser had died. well i called sony and some other repair stores to find its going to cost me $250 to repair since i am conveniently (to sony) outside the warranty period.

i have tried all the solutions, from formatting the drive, to re-calibrating the blu ray laser (holding the eject button for a while), restoring to factory defaults, blowing air into the blu ray drive slot to dislodge any dust.

Also, since buying it,  it hasnt moved from a well ventilated area in my tv cabinet, and in fact there wasnt even any dust on it thats how clean i have maintained it.

i hate sony so much right now...and i beleive they know they are at fault, but will not admit to it, its clear they have a fault in their product and i am proof of that, if i had played the thing every day maybe i would concede it was my fault, but i hardly played it...and for that sony is at fault, and sony should  honour the agreement when a consumer purchases a product that it will work.

i for one, will overlook buying sony next time...and since being a big fan of sony ps2, the next gaming device will definetly not be a playstation,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23 (14,319 Views)
0 Kudos