02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

PS3 not reading disc

22 Replies 18,998 Views Created 26-10-2008

Unfortunately, my PS3 is no longer able to read discs (of all kind).

It occured when beginning to play Resistance this morning. After inserting the disc, I had managed to get to the main menu screen of the game, but had realised that I had not switched on my internet connection.

I used the PS button to acces the XMB (to go to Network Settings) and enable my network connection, of which, it gave me the prompt that I had to exit the game in order to do so.

I chose 'Yes' to exit the game, and did what I needed to do from the XMB.

When I went back to load up the game, the blue light just flashed for a while with no response.

I ejected the disc, switched off the machine and tried again a few minutes later, only to discover that it would not read any discs at all - although the little disc spinning logo in the top right corner still appears.

I may answer my own question when I say that I have read through other parts of the forum, and it appears that there is no 'fix' as such, apart from getting a replacement. Is this still the case?

This leads me to ask, in anticipation of having to get my PS3 replaced, can I just use any external HDD to backup all of my data?

And will I definitely be able to restore all this data onto another PS3?

0 Kudos
LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

TomBeta

84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TomBeta
Accepted Solution
Back up your data to a FAT32 formatted external harddrive. Downloads can be re-downloaded from the store.

:)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 not reading disc

/16

TomBeta

84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TomBeta
Accepted Solution
Back up your data to a FAT32 formatted external harddrive. Downloads can be re-downloaded from the store.

:)
0 Kudos

/16

danboitan69

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
danboitan69
Accepted Solution

tbh that wasnt rly much of a solution more of a cop out

is there atchually some wayh to fix the ps without getting a replacement?

0 Kudos

/16

KY-LLER

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KY-LLER
Accepted Solution

I've backed up my data, which was, literally, as easy and simple as hitting a button - don't know why I didn't do it before.

Also, called up the careline, and I must say that I'm rather impressed. Managed to get through with a minimal wait, and the process took less than 10 minutes, with a desired outcome - courier coming round next week to pick up the faulty PS3 to be fixed.

I've just got to survive a week or two without the console.

Thanks to the replies.

0 Kudos

/16

santa_clown

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
santa_clown
Accepted Solution

Hi guys, my PS3 also get the same problem. I called the care center and they say the will help after I do the system restore and everything (to check whether it is sufficient to solve the problem). Unfortunately the system restore does not solve the problem and I wil call em again this monday.

Do you know how much they charge you to pick up your PS3? Do you live in the Netherlands? Do you have to pay for the repair? Tx in advance.

0 Kudos

/16

KY-LLER

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KY-LLER
Accepted Solution

Just got my PS3 back today, and once again, I must say how impressed I am - it has taken less than a week to receive my fixed PS3 [since when it was originally collected].

Thank you Sony!

0 Kudos

/16

douaihy

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
douaihy
Accepted Solution
what a joke.... I've had my PS3 since April 2008 played it maybe a few times a month, watched plenty of DVD's on it, it just stopped reading games and DVD's last week when I updated to play my new game tekken 6, plenty of mates had the same problem and either paid $150 or got it done free to get it fixed but when I ran...g yesterday they told me it will cost $250. What a f#####n ripoff just bought a few new games and I gotta pay $250 to play them and wait God knows how long to get it back, mayvbe after xmas if I'm lucky.... Rude *****!!!!!
0 Kudos

/16

alex-chase

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
alex-chase
Accepted Solution

i have the same problem , i am an owner of a ps3, 80gb model, it stopped reading discs. The other day after about 5 months of not playing a playstation game, although i did use it watch movies from an external drive, i turned it on to play a new game i purchased and found the blu ray drive no longer detecting my games, dvd's and blu rays. i went on google and researched and found many people had the same problem, most say it was because of a firmware update, another was that it wasnt used enough and the laser had died. well i called sony and some other repair stores to find its going to cost me $250 to repair since i am conveniently (to sony) outside the warranty period.

i have tried all the solutions, from formatting the drive, to re-calibrating the blu ray laser (holding the eject button for a while), restoring to factory defaults, blowing air into the blu ray drive slot to dislodge any dust.

Also, since buying it,  it hasnt moved from a well ventilated area in my tv cabinet, and in fact there wasnt even any dust on it thats how clean i have maintained it.

i hate sony so much right now...and i beleive they know they are at fault, but will not admit to it, its clear they have a fault in their product and i am proof of that, if i had played the thing every day maybe i would concede it was my fault, but i hardly played it...and for that sony is at fault, and sony should  honour the agreement when a consumer purchases a product that it will work.

i for one, will overlook buying sony next time...and since being a big fan of sony ps2, the next gaming device will definetly not be a playstation,

0 Kudos

/16

KY-LLER

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KY-LLER
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately, my PS3 has had the same problem as my original post in this thread.

Can't help but feel slightly disappointed...

0 Kudos

/16

pogobull

63%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pogobull
Accepted Solution

Playstation death
Your February Lounge article about streaming music videos coming to the Playstation 3 interested me. I bought a PS3 mainly for the Blu-ray feature but personally don’t think the PS3 is suitable for music or movies. The noisy fan switches on after about 10 minutes, drowning out any quiet bits and that’s without a DVD loaded.

In addition, my PS3 failed after 18 months with the “Yellow Light of Death” (YLOD). Internet forums suggest failure with the YLOD at around 18 months is quite common. This problem is obviously a design fault but I had to fork out over $300 to get it fixed.

However, the fan still started up on the replacement machine. I took the machine back to Hill & Stewart and they said I’d have to pay around $35 to get it looked at, even though I’d only just collected it three days before. I would expect a Playstation to last five years or more, like amplifiers, computers, DVDs etc. But the store manager thought 18 months was an acceptable life for a Playstation! I refused to pay any more, so I’ve now put the PS3 away.

I have now bought the Panasonic Blu-ray player (DMP-BD60GZ-K) as reviewed in PC World and I’m very happy with it. So, as for streaming music videos via Playstation, I say, why bother? Get a Panasonic and you can watch and hear YouTube via VieraCast.

0 Kudos

/16

redhawk74

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
redhawk74
Accepted Solution

I'm having the same prob but noticed that it will detect an audio CD when inserted but wont play it. It jumps to playing display but no audio and cant access options (when u press triangle). This rules out a faulty drive, I have also replaced drive with another as the original wasn't spinning up. I have an niggling suspicion that all this started happening after update 3.50 which enables BLURAY drive to play 3d titles i think. Is there anyway to revert back to a previous software version to test this suspicion?

0 Kudos

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

redhawk74 wrote:

I'm having the same prob but noticed that it will detect an audio CD when inserted but wont play it. It jumps to playing display but no audio and cant access options (when u press triangle). This rules out a faulty drive, I have also replaced drive with another as the original wasn't spinning up. I have an niggling suspicion that all this started happening after update 3.50 which enables BLURAY drive to play 3d titles i think. Is there anyway to revert back to a previous software version to test this suspicion?

Firstly there is no way to roll back the firmware from 3.50

I am not at all sure that your premise that disk detection but no sound proves the drive is ok holds true. In fact I would say it points towrds a faulty laser. But before you do anything else try a safe boot option 3. Instruction link.

When you changed your drive over you did swap the drive controller boards didnt you. The PS3 will ONLY communicate with its own drive controller board even though the drive versions may be identical.

Good luck

0 Kudos

/16

jambon316

53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jambon316
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

/16

RicarSouljah

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RicarSouljah
Accepted Solution
I had the same problem as well today. Turned on console to find the disk whether game, DVD, or cd would not load Spent 30 minutes on phone to Sony resetting the console blah blah blah That didn't work............. Started reading through some forums and this solution has worked, all disk are Now being read. Start playstation as normal and load a disk, you'll see the little loading icon spinning but still no disk is being read. Now press the eject button, the disk will eject but leave it half way in. Now press and HOLD the eject for at least 10 seconds, the disk should do a little in and out dance in the load tray then go fully into the console. The disk should be read by the console and the disk icon should now show in which ever menu part it's required for (film, music, game) Hope this works you as it did for me. :)
0 Kudos

/16

MTP_LMC

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MTP_LMC
Accepted Solution
I have had the same problem with the PS3 not playing discs. It seems to be only blueray format movie discs, my games still work. This seems to be a complete paradox to me as to my knowledge the games are on the same format disc. My PS3 makes terrible noises when a Blueray movie is inserted, all sorts of clunking and grinding then it clicks like the disc is going to be ejected and locks up totally. Hard reboot is the only way to retrieve the disc.

This has been going on for a month now, i'm lucky i am still within the warranty period although the fact that the machine is only a few days away from being one year old is unacceptable. I am also glad that i bought an extended warranty from the retailer so if it happens again i am covered.

Machine is 120gb slim, latest update via COD Black Ops, i think it is 3.50

Shame on you Sony, i am very disappointed that i have to wait a week while it is fixed. And the fact that i will not receive a brand NEW unit, only a refurbished one.

That is not good quality control and it reflects badly on your company.
0 Kudos

/16

kirky1971

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kirky1971
Accepted Solution

Hello Mate

I have the sae problem could I ask what number you called and how much you paid for the repair thanks

Regards Craig

0 Kudos

/16

pfjsteel

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pfjsteel
Accepted Solution

hi

i have same probleem i had ps3 for 4weeks and it didnot read audio,dvd,foto's nothing 

i whent back to the store they told mi the blueray is brock i'm still wating for repair 3weeks now

KY-LLER schreef:

Unfortunately, my PS3 is no longer able to read discs (of all kind).

It occured when beginning to play Resistance this morning. After inserting the disc, I had managed to get to the main menu screen of the game, but had realised that I had not switched on my internet connection.

I used the PS button to acces the XMB (to go to Network Settings) and enable my network connection, of which, it gave me the prompt that I had to exit the game in order to do so.

I chose 'Yes' to exit the game, and did what I needed to do from the XMB.

When I went back to load up the game, the blue light just flashed for a while with no response.

I ejected the disc, switched off the machine and tried again a few minutes later, only to discover that it would not read any discs at all - although the little disc spinning logo in the top right corner still appears.

I may answer my own question when I say that I have read through other parts of the forum, and it appears that there is no 'fix' as such, apart from getting a replacement. Is this still the case?

This leads me to ask, in anticipation of having to get my PS3 replaced, can I just use any external HDD to backup all of my data?

And will I definitely be able to restore all this data onto another PS3?

0 Kudos

/16

douaihy

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
douaihy
Accepted Solution
what a joke.... I've had my PS3 since April 2008 played it maybe a few times a month, watched plenty of DVD's on it, it just stopped reading games and DVD's last week when I updated to play my new game tekken 6, plenty of mates had the same problem and either paid $150 or got it done free to get it fixed but when I rang yesterday they told me it will cost $250. What a f****n ripoff just bought a few new games and I gotta pay $250 to play them and wait God knows how long to get it back, maybe after xmas if I'm lucky.... VERY RUDE AND UNFAIR!!!
0 Kudos

/16

skypar

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
skypar
Accepted Solution

this has also happened to me
im not sure if i should call sony and pay out loads to get it rapaired or wait for the next update, which hopefully should fix the problem, but that could be months

went to gamestation and they were no help at all, so im stuck
any ideas?

0 Kudos

Skypar_93
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
various details in my blu-ray thread, linked in my sig line below :)
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

bradsd01

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bradsd01
Accepted Solution

Hi

The same problem with my ps3 started last night. I had just brought Black ops and played an online game. When the game had finished and tried to return to the lobby my ps3 froze. I waited five miutes and nothing happened so I pressed the power button to turn it off. The screen went black and it didn't turn off. After another five minutes I had to turn it off from the mains. When I turned the ps3 back on the problem with the discs started. When I insert a disc the ps3 makes a few noices and the game does not load at all. The spinning disc icon comes up on the top right corner but nothing happens. This problem occurs with all discs.

I really don't want to have to buy a new ps3. What shall I do??  

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel