30 Jan 2012
Playstation Staff

PS3 on PC monitor?

10 Replies 11,085 Views Created 30-01-2012

Hello all. Now before i say anything i have searched online for a answer to my question but i can't find the information i'm looking for. I'm trying to get my PS3 to work with my PC monitor but it's not going well. I first tried using a HDMI to DVI cable but that didn't work. Apparently you need a HDCP compliant monitor for HDMI to work. mine isn't. So my question is: would a standard RCA (Red/White/Yellow) cable that comes with the PS3 with a RCA to VGA cable work on a non-HDCP monitor?

And i already know about those expensive converter box's/cables but i'm tring to find a cheaper way.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (11,085 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 on PC monitor?

apemax18 wrote:

Hello all. Now before i say anything i have searched online for a answer to my question but i can't find the information i'm looking for. I'm trying to get my PS3 to work with my PC monitor but it's not going well. I first tried using a HDMI to DVI cable but that didn't work. Apparently you need a HDCP compliant monitor for HDMI to work. mine isn't. So my question is: would a standard RCA (Red/White/Yellow) cable that comes with the PS3 with a RCA to VGA cable work on a non-HDCP monitor?

And i already know about those expensive converter box's/cables but i'm tring to find a cheaper way.

Hi apemax18,

Have you had a look at our PS3 to PC monitor guide?

To answer your question it is possible the RCA to VGA will work as they are analogue connections, but officially the console does not support VGA, and the picture may be undesirable. There are cables allowing HDMI/DVI to VGA which would allow for a HD picture however.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (11,068 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yes i did look at your PS3 to PC monitor guide but it didn't say anything about using a RCA to VGA cable. I usually  use my PS3 on a CRT TV using the RCA to scart adapter that comes with the PS3 so would using a RCA to VGA cable be worse than that? Also would the HDMI/DVI to VGA work on a my monitor which doesn't support HDCP?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (11,063 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

apemax18 wrote:

Yes i did look at your PS3 to PC monitor guide but it didn't say anything about using a RCA to VGA cable. I usually  use my PS3 on a CRT TV using the RCA to scart adapter that comes with the PS3 so would using a RCA to VGA cable be worse than that? Also would the HDMI/DVI to VGA work on a my monitor which doesn't support HDCP?

Hi apemax18,

I couldn't tell you or guarentee you this will work, however looking online it looks like it should work although due to the limitations of RCA the highest quality picture you would receive would be 480i.

In regards to the HDMI/DVI to VGA connection, this will convert the digital signal to an analogue one so technically the monitor will not need to be HDCP compliant. There are devices such as the HD Fury which will allow this, however as it is not official and I haven't tested it first hand- I couldn't say for sure if this will work.

If others have used this they may be able to help you out further?

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (11,046 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ok then. Well i use RCA for my TV so the picture quality should be the same as that. I think i'm going to try the RCA to VGA cable first and see if that works. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (11,038 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Shame the ps3 doesnt support an official VGA cabe.

On my old 360,the image is actually better/crisper than HDMI (on my SONY bravia) - Due to there being no scaling or overscan over VGA.(which degrades the picture slightly)

Then again,you cant watch blu-rays over VGA due to HDCP - Still, would have been a nice option for gamers - And a very cheap way for gamers to enjoy HD gaming,if they already owned a bog standard VGA monitor.

Picture quality wouldnt have been an issue - I'm using a 22inch monitor on this PC over VGA.And the picture is pin-sharp - Much better quality than my ps3 on my £800 bravia.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (11,027 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well i got a RCA to VGA cable (This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-S-Video-Converter-Cable-laptop/dp/B0064XJ5SA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=... ) and it didn't work. Monitor doesn't pick up any signal at all with my PS3 and PS2. Any ideas anyone?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (11,007 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

apemax18 wrote:

ahem...

Whilst not specifically mentioning RCA to VGA, there are some hints in there :smileyhappy:

3. VGA Connection

The PlayStation 3 is not designed to be used with VGA which is an analogue PC connection. However there are HDMI>VGA adapters available that say they can be used to allow a signal between the PlayStation and a monitor.

This is not a solution that is technically supported, therefore if there may be unforeseen issues with using such a connection.

Some monitors can cope with a digital VGA input - and for these, the leads may work. It can be difficult however, as frequently the manufacturer of the monitor will not mention this information in the specs of the monitor. If this does work sound will need to be output through a separate cable.

4. VGA(2) Connection

If the above option does not work there is another product available:

The ‘HD Fury’ is a device designed to convert the signal from digital to analogue

Not cheap at about £80 - but still slightly cheaper than a new monitor!

apemax18 wrote:
Well i got a RCA to VGA cable (This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-S-Video-Converter-Cable-laptop/dp/B0064XJ5SA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=... ) and it didn't work. Monitor doesn't pick up any signal at all with my PS3 and PS2. Any ideas anyone?

So - you've kinda tried 3.  which didn't work.

this leaves you with option 4 :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (10,994 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Yeah i'm going into these converter boxs now that i've tried all the cheaper options. Do you know where/what the cheapest one of these converter box is?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (10,981 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

not one I've had to buy myself, sorry.

google may well be your best friend :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.