[EN] Archive

Technical Help

Technical Help

15 Jul 2010
By: Lethal073

3 Posts

PS3 stopped playing blu-ray and dvd movies

8 Replies 1131 Views Created 15-07-2010

I own a 60GB PS3 and it is running version 3.4 software. I am running video through HDMI and audio through optical (and have been doing so for some time).

I have recently been unable to load blu-ray or dvd movies, yet it will load PS3 and PS2 games ok.

Each time I go to load a movie (it sometimes loads a little bit at the start) when it is going to load the movie menu, the screen goes black and the only way to get out of it is to turn off the system at the back.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Does anyone know a solution?

I am in the middle of backing up and going to do a system restore also.

Can anyone help please?

Cheers, Leigh

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (1,131 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: PS3 stopped playing blu-ray and dvd movies

personally i`d say you need a new blu ray laser unit

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (1,129 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Sounds like your bluray drive has gone, you need to phone the sony helpline and get a refurb replacement for £130, or buy a new PS3, i presume yours will be out of warranty.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (1,074 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Sony stopped their extended warranty didn't they?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (1,070 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

ish . its there but not for new customers . just buy a new laser unit . they are pretty cheap .
Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (1,050 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm sorry to buck the trend, but I don't think it's the blu ray :smileywink:

True, when failing, they can fail and then work for a bit, and then fail (repeat till final fail), but for it not to be playing blu ray movies and DVDs, and yet happily playing PS2 and 3 games - I'm not convinced...

When you say "recently" - how recently, and did anything change around that time?

You may also wish to read by "blu ray" thread, linked to from my sig, which details how to try a few bits and pieces that MAY help :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (1,045 Views)
0 Kudos

I'm not convinced the blu-ray drive or lens has gone, as it is still playing games ok. Unfortunately it is out of warranty, i have had the machine for over 3 years.

I am heading towards the thought that is a sofware issue.

The problem with getting a refurb from sony, there is no guarantee i will get a 60gb model back or even the same one (the rest of it is in great condition)

Thanks for your thoughts

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (1,035 Views)
0 Kudos

It has been about 2 months since it has stopped playing movies, but a couple of menths before that I hd installed an updated software.

The first time I noticed it was when I loaded a blu-ray movie (Astro Boy to be precise) and it loaded the opening segment (advertising etc), but when it went to load the main menu, the screen went black and I couldn't turn off or reset etc.

I was able to load another Blu-Ray movie at the time, but that was the last time.

I'll have a look at the thread and see what i can do.

Cheers, Leigh

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (1,033 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

welcome Leigh :smileyhappy:

Just for note, if you DO end up paying Sony £130, they will send you a refurbed replacement 60Gb - sometimes (rarely), if pushed, they MAY offer to fix yours, but that obviously takes longer :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (1,018 Views)
0 Kudos