devil_spawn666

76%
04 Rank
Progress

PS3 three beeps, restart, flashing red light... but no YLOD?! Help please

23 Replies 16,081 Views Created 01-11-2010
01 Nov 2010
By devil_spawn666
I have a launch day 60gb PS3 running the latest firmware, and without any major hiccups, has today decided to die. I think. Here's how the day panned out. I had the PS3 on most of the day since about 11am this morning, I was looking to get in on some Red Dead Redemption, played some Gang Matches and Free For All matches with no problems whatsoever. Exited out to the XMB,. Turned off the PS3. No worries. After lunch turned the PS3 back on, XMB loaded up fine. Sat on the PC, came into the forums set up a couple more online meets, went to boot up Red Dead and before the first R* logo came up I get 3 beeps and flashing red light. At which point I freaked out, went straight onto google to find out what it meant, and what my course of action should be. After researching, switched off the PS3 from the mains, disconnected all the leads and gave it a good dusting down, vaccuumed out the vents, connected it back up but left it off and let it cool down for about an hour. In the meantime I checked the forums here and read all about people with YLOD but I had never seem the lights turn colour, just go from blue and green, straight to red with the three beeps. Rebooted the PS3 and it got to the XMB and ejected Read Dead disc, promptly froze. Held down the power button for 2 seconds, and it switched off. Tried it again, got to the XMB and automatically signed in. Message received. Read the message, replied, sent. Then froze again. Held down power. Shut down and tried turning on again. This time I booted up in safe mode. Restored default settings, went through all the signing up and in to Playstation Network. Everything fine until it gets to the XMB where it freezes. In the end I repeated the safe mode log in and chose all options from 2 down to 5 and have since resotored the PS3, meaning to it's factory settings and deleting everything from the HDD. Tried playing Red Dead again, loaded up fine, managed the mandatory install and loaded a new single player campaign but during the intro cinematics it seemed very juddery and staticky, so I immediately ejected the disc and booted down the console. Tried a test where I would play a CD, then a DVD, then a Blu-ray to see if it could manage different formats. But after booting up the PS3 and inserting a fairly new CD it played but was extremely juddery and slow. So, what does this mean? Is my PS3 on it's way out, is it something to do with the Blu-ray drive or is it the onset of YLOD? Is it something that can be repaired or would I be better casting it off and upgrading to a slim. Any helpful comments would be appreciated! (sorry for the lengthy post)
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

yoAndrew

64%
02 Rank
Progress
yoAndrew
Accepted Solution

It sounds as if its on its way out. 

**Use paragraphs next time, its hard on the eyes to read all that in one go.

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 three beeps, restart, flashing red light... but no YLOD?! Help please

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

djreplay

60%
02 Rank
Progress
djreplay
Accepted Solution

Yeah I think its a case of YLOD, mine went again last week. Luckily when mine first went in January I had an extended warranty, still bought a slim for while it was being fixed and only plugged my launch back in last month cause of PS Move and all the USB ports.

The suldering just keeps re-breaking on the fat PS3's and its pointless getting it fixed  or buying a refurb as they always go after 3 months. I would suggest buying a 160 gig from Sainsburys, only £199.99 at the moment Good luck

0 Kudos

Rolling Brownouts aren't a savoury snack

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

devil_spawn666

76%
04 Rank
Progress
devil_spawn666
Accepted Solution
Thanks for the responses. I'll keep my eyes out for decent bargains.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I meant to go back through and break it up but wanted to get it all listed out first.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mosavon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
mosavon
Accepted Solution
Yep, the red flashing light is a machine shutting down due to excessive heat, an is a classic symtom of a future YLOD PS3 im afraid...act now is my advice
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Modern-Rock

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Modern-Rock
Accepted Solution
REFURBS DON'T 'GO AFTER THREE MONTHS' I'VE HAD MINE NEARLY A YEAR.

/rant.
0 Kudos

I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution

Modern-Rock wrote:
REFURBS DON'T 'GO AFTER THREE MONTHS' I'VE HAD MINE NEARLY A YEAR.

/rant.
My 60gb was replaced under Cont Play in August 2009 and touch wood is still working fine too....
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Modern-Rock

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Modern-Rock
Accepted Solution
Mines an 80GB
0 Kudos

I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

chaospunx82

53%
02 Rank
Progress
chaospunx82
Accepted Solution

happened to me last year "60gb unit" used to go through the cycle you have been doin worked for a bit then would freeze wouldnt stay on long enough to play a game so thought it was ylod comeing on so didnt turn it on for ages when i did it flashed up i needed to update i knew if it turned off during the update it would kill it but i went for it anyway it updated fine and ive never had another problem since i now never update through wifi always off a usb stick

0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OldMiley

92%
02 Rank
Progress
OldMiley
Accepted Solution

I'm not boasting or anything here but I have only had two 60g PS3's since launch (and the fault with the first was the BR drive). I must have got very lucky!

Sorry to hear about your woes OP, looks like a slim may be the ebst option.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thecabbage

81%
05 Rank
Progress
thecabbage
Accepted Solution

This happened to me.  I switched it on a few times to hear the three beeps and looked carefully.  sure enough there was a brief flash of yellow in there.  sorry bud.

0 Kudos

Sign up for SICK KIDS SAVE POINT - 24 hour gaming marathon for Sick kids - www.sickkidssavepoint.org

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xshaihuludx

92%
03 Rank
Progress
xshaihuludx
Accepted Solution

Yep, does not sound good.

I'm on my 4th 60GB now, 3rd refurb. Fans are turning themselves up alot more now, getting a bit worried myself :(

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

DNAtlantic

• Beta Tester
97%
08 Rank
Progress
DNAtlantic
Accepted Solution

xshaihuludx wrote:

I'm on my 4th 60GB now, 3rd refurb. Fans are turning themselves up alot more now, getting a bit worried myself :(

4th 60GB? 3rd refurb? That would be your fault because you keep buying older and refurbed models.... Instead of carrying buying that, just go out and buy a new slim because with the money you spent on those things you could have probably got yourself 2.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xshaihuludx

92%
03 Rank
Progress
xshaihuludx
Accepted Solution

DNAtlantic wrote:

xshaihuludx wrote:

4th 60GB? 3rd refurb? That would be your fault because you keep buying older and refurbed models.... Instead of carrying buying that, just go out and buy a new slim because with the money you spent on those things you could have probably got yourself 2.

Sorry, what's my fault?

I spent over £600 on launch night. My launch model died just out of warranty, I got two replacements through CP, my first refurb died after a week and the second one lasted about 4 months. After CP ended Sony sent me another 60gb as a good will gesture. The engineer I spoke to actually said that it was totally unacceptable to have that many failures and if this unit failed they would be looking at sending me out a newer model - My PS3 is well kept and in a well ventilated room - blah blah blah.

Bugger me, but I actually use the PS2 BC and memory slots. I'm not made of money either, I plonked down £425 for the PS3 so no, I'm not going to go out and get a slim - which also has less features than the unit I have now.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

UberKai

21%
02 Rank
Progress
UberKai
Accepted Solution

Hey original post starter chap,

I'm in the same boat, s'ept about 6 weeks ago I had to strip the machine down and do the heat gun fun to rectify a YLOD. Gave it a huge clean aussi.

Been fine since, but after a 6 hour cod session two night ago, it did the 3 beeps, red flashes and shutdown. Powered up again but decided to shutdown and let it cool.

Started it up next day and was ok to play dvds and use all the features, but wouldnt last long playing any games before another beep-beep-beep shutdown. Gutted. (and cried a little)

Today however, I've been on FFXIII for a few hours and its still ok.... I'll have to wait and see i think, but though i love my launch model, I'm seriously tempted to upgrade to a little one for the heavy work, and let this bad boy live out his days with light dvd work and the odd Resi One stint.

This post probably isnt that helpful, but as i've had a YLOD already, and the unit is 'working' again, thought it might save you a few bob by trying it in a day or two and see if it works...

All the best.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Basilisk5

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Basilisk5
Accepted Solution

this is what mine did while playing GT5.... then later on it YLOD'd.

mine is a 60GB and i did the gilsky fix and modded the fan control so i can adjust the fan speed manually.

lets see how long it works as this can last anything from 3 hours to indefinitely - im hoping the latter as when it overheated it was MEGA hot. now its rather loud but i dont care if it stays cool and doesnt YLOD again. its all about core temperature.

0 Kudos

[url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Basilisk5/] [img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Basilisk5.png[/img] [/url]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Meg40

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Meg40
Accepted Solution

Mine has just gone south this week and I am angry and confused.

Bought my PS3 in march 07, 60GB backwards model, and never had a problem with until now. Have always been loyal to the Sony brand as usually good products, PS, PS2 and PSP.

So if there is an inherent fault in the original PS3, which only real fans would have bought at that price, why are Sony not using that brand loyalty and coming clean/providing more assistance.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JaySuthEFC

88%
02 Rank
Progress
JaySuthEFC
Accepted Solution
Its gna blow man...
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

x-Ghostbuster-x

92%
03 Rank
Progress
x-Ghostbuster-x
Accepted Solution

I was having similar problems on a 250gb ps3 with Red Dead, getting that crazy stuttering screen thing then only option for me was to reset with the power switch, it never messed my with mine as much as yours by the sounds of it, but red read redemtion has been shelfed for the meantime, I'm gutted had only played it for a few days, no other games cause the problem.

Pop red dead in and it stutters to a stop, then hard reset.

I read a post on another random forum about someone else having the stuttering image problem with red dead then his console won't restart now either he had an original style ps3 too but I cant remember what model it was.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kehora

25%
02 Rank
Progress
kehora
Accepted Solution
THE was a problem with temp sensors the system cooked it self to death that is my conclu. same ***** happened when i had my 640GB ps3 lol funny thing is i never used more than 4gb any was ur system was over heated

u could try to get in the 6 menue options and try to reinstall the firmware prob=50/50

send it to sony for fix it will work prob=100

or bios batt rest worinking prob=5 not recomened if a backwards compatible ps3 better send it in its worth a lot
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mantisb

22%
02 Rank
Progress
mantisb
Accepted Solution

I have issues guys,I have never had a problem with my ps3 and after leaving my ps3 60gb (from Launch) on overnight to install the new COD:Black Ops patch got up this monring thinking i'll get some rounds in. It loaded up pretty fine then it gave me the infamous 3 beeps and off. It now goes to fire up and shuts down again.

Dont tell me its game over please :'(

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel