01 Nov 2010
Playstation Staff

PS3 three beeps, restart, flashing red light... but no YLOD?! Help please

23 Replies 14,989 Views Created 01-11-2010
I have a launch day 60gb PS3 running the latest firmware, and without any major hiccups, has today decided to die. I think. Here's how the day panned out. I had the PS3 on most of the day since about 11am this morning, I was looking to get in on some Red Dead Redemption, played some Gang Matches and Free For All matches with no problems whatsoever. Exited out to the XMB,. Turned off the PS3. No worries. After lunch turned the PS3 back on, XMB loaded up fine. Sat on the PC, came into the forums set up a couple more online meets, went to boot up Red Dead and before the first R* logo came up I get 3 beeps and flashing red light. At which point I freaked out, went straight onto google to find out what it meant, and what my course of action should be. After researching, switched off the PS3 from the mains, disconnected all the leads and gave it a good dusting down, vaccuumed out the vents, connected it back up but left it off and let it cool down for about an hour. In the meantime I checked the forums here and read all about people with YLOD but I had never seem the lights turn colour, just go from blue and green, straight to red with the three beeps. Rebooted the PS3 and it got to the XMB and ejected Read Dead disc, promptly froze. Held down the power button for 2 seconds, and it switched off. Tried it again, got to the XMB and automatically signed in. Message received. Read the message, replied, sent. Then froze again. Held down power. Shut down and tried turning on again. This time I booted up in safe mode. Restored default settings, went through all the signing up and in to Playstation Network. Everything fine until it gets to the XMB where it freezes. In the end I repeated the safe mode log in and chose all options from 2 down to 5 and have since resotored the PS3, meaning to it's factory settings and deleting everything from the HDD. Tried playing Red Dead again, loaded up fine, managed the mandatory install and loaded a new single player campaign but during the intro cinematics it seemed very juddery and staticky, so I immediately ejected the disc and booted down the console. Tried a test where I would play a CD, then a DVD, then a Blu-ray to see if it could manage different formats. But after booting up the PS3 and inserting a fairly new CD it played but was extremely juddery and slow. So, what does this mean? Is my PS3 on it's way out, is it something to do with the Blu-ray drive or is it the onset of YLOD? Is it something that can be repaired or would I be better casting it off and upgrading to a slim. Any helpful comments would be appreciated! (sorry for the lengthy post)

check out my littlebigplanet level: The Temple of the Lost
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24 (14,989 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 three beeps, restart, flashing red light... but no YLOD?! Help please

It sounds as if its on its way out. 

**Use paragraphs next time, its hard on the eyes to read all that in one go.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24 (14,981 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yeah I think its a case of YLOD, mine went again last week. Luckily when mine first went in January I had an extended warranty, still bought a slim for while it was being fixed and only plugged my launch back in last month cause of PS Move and all the USB ports.

The suldering just keeps re-breaking on the fat PS3's and its pointless getting it fixed  or buying a refurb as they always go after 3 months. I would suggest buying a 160 gig from Sainsburys, only £199.99 at the moment Good luck

Rolling Brownouts aren't a savoury snack
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24 (14,950 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep my eyes out for decent bargains.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I meant to go back through and break it up but wanted to get it all listed out first.

check out my littlebigplanet level: The Temple of the Lost
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24 (14,929 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yep, the red flashing light is a machine shutting down due to excessive heat, an is a classic symtom of a future YLOD PS3 im afraid...act now is my advice
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24 (14,922 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

REFURBS DON'T 'GO AFTER THREE MONTHS' I'VE HAD MINE NEARLY A YEAR.

/rant.
I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24 (14,869 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm not boasting or anything here but I have only had two 60g PS3's since launch (and the fault with the first was the BR drive). I must have got very lucky!

Sorry to hear about your woes OP, looks like a slim may be the ebst option.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24 (14,865 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

This happened to me.  I switched it on a few times to hear the three beeps and looked carefully.  sure enough there was a brief flash of yellow in there.  sorry bud.

Sign up for SICK KIDS SAVE POINT - 24 hour gaming marathon for Sick kids - www.sickkidssavepoint.org
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24 (14,846 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yep, does not sound good.

I'm on my 4th 60GB now, 3rd refurb. Fans are turning themselves up alot more now, getting a bit worried myself :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24 (14,838 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Mine has just gone south this week and I am angry and confused.

Bought my PS3 in march 07, 60GB backwards model, and never had a problem with until now. Have always been loyal to the Sony brand as usually good products, PS, PS2 and PSP.

So if there is an inherent fault in the original PS3, which only real fans would have bought at that price, why are Sony not using that brand loyalty and coming clean/providing more assistance.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24 (14,802 Views)
0 Kudos