03 Jan 2011
By DrTucci

Playstation Staff

PS3 will not turn on

6 Replies 11,425 Views Created 03-01-2011

Hello,

My PS3 has suddenly decided not to turn itself on.  I have a steady red light but as soon as I press any of the buttons it will turn green for barely a second and then all the lights will go out.  It is as if there was no longer had any power.  It does not get as far as providing a screen or anything on the TV.  The only way (as far as I can tell) to get the red light back is to turn it off and on again at the mains.

Last night I was playing Fallout New Vegas and I had just quit the game before watching something on TV.  I had not ejected the disc or turned the system off, as I would normally do.  Approximately 2 hours later I went to restart my game and I noticed that the system was turned off and it was on the steady red light not the green light that I had left it on.  At this point I tried turning on the system and thus my problems started.

My game disc is still in the machine.

I am unaware exactly when the machine turned itself off, as I was not really paying attention to it while I was watching TV.  Previously when I have not turned it off it has remained on.

I have recently updated the system for the first time ever (last week) as my recent purchase of Fallout New Vegas (last week) required a more up-to-date system software.  This had been the first time since purchase that I had connected the machine to the Internet.

I have owned the machine for just over a year (purchased 16 November 2009) and have had no problems in all this time.

So far I have checked that all the cables are connected properly and connected the plug to a different plug socket.  I have tried holding down the power button but this has no effect as soon as any of the buttons are pressed all the power vanishes and the system will not turn itself back on regardless to how many times the buttons are pressed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bye

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (11,425 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 will not turn on

it doesn't sound at all healthy, but you could TRY safe boot mode, option 3 - see link below, but be sure to read about the implications of choosing the wrong option.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (11,412 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately this does not work.  As soon as the power button is pressed there is a single beep.  The green light comes on for barely a second and then both lights go out.  The machine is quiet and as far as I can tell completely inactive and powerless.  Holding the power button for any length of time has no effect (I have tried holding it down for progressively longer period of times up to over a minute).

There are no further beeps, no messages on screen (the screen stays black this entire time).

As such I am unable to execute the safe mode start up procedure.

The only way to get the red light back (that I have found) is to turn the main power off, and then to turn the main power back on again.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (11,395 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey mate I have the exact same issue, it just happened then while I was streaming a tv show. Did you solve the issue? Help.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (11,232 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

not sure how I missed that earlier reply, sorry!

Unfortunately what you are describing sounds rather like a YLOD failure I'm afraid.

more details are in the link in my sig line below.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (11,207 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am facing the same issue. Were you able to resolve your problem? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (8,969 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Option for this one is to bring the PS3 back to vendor unless the PS3 is under warranty, i did that and waited for 8 weeks max! :smileysurprised:

btw, your PS3 is not jailbreak/modified right?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (7,394 Views)
0 Kudos