29 May 2008
By: StewWoo Member 31 Posts
Level 1

PS3 won't play games

27 Replies 34,422 Views Created 29-05-2008

I've just turned on my PS3 to set up a game for my son and no matter which game I choose, whether it be on BD or HDD it just won't play.   The HDD indicator light flashes for a few seconds and then stops and all you're left with is a blank screen.   The only choice available is to switch off the PS3 on the front and switch on again to reset - there is no response from the controller at all.

It's definitely not the HDD as I can play music and video files just fine.   Anyone got any ideas?   It was fine last week.

Cheers,

Stewart

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28 (34,422 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: PS3 won't play games

suggest giving 08705 99 88 77 Sony customer service a ring mate
---------------------------------------------------------
Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight??
---------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28 (34,366 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

To be honest mate, it sounds like the Blu-ray drive has given up the ghost. Try a DVD, see if it works. Also, if you have a 60GB, turn off PS2 upscalling if its on, i know it sounds odd but has worked for one or two.

Honestly though, other than the advice of leave it off for an hour then try it again, id call Sony!

Alan Sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28 (34,353 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Same thing happened to me, i phoned Sony and they gave me a replacement machine. They come round take the knackered one and give you a new one.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28 (34,332 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Rastaban wrote:
Same thing happened to me, i phoned Sony and they gave me a replacement machine. They come round take the knackered one and give you a new one.

Not brand new of course.

They send you a refurbished system.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28 (34,350 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

My 60 GB blu ray drive has failed. Their supposed to be giving me a replacement refurbished on tomorrow. I hope they come early because Ive had this week off and when I finally get some game time the ps3 breaks on sunday night two days after my birthday. Good job though because Ive only got a month and a week left on my warranty but Sony said that they will extend it now for free. The only game that I can play atm is Warhawk because it works off the hard drive. GTA is sitting there teasing me!!!

Wanted List: GTA V, FIFA 13
Currently Playing: Starhawk, FIFA 12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28 (34,336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

tommo23 wrote:
My 60 GB blu ray drive has failed. Their supposed to be giving me a replacement refurbished on tomorrow. I hope they come early because Ive had this week off and when I finally get some game time the ps3 breaks on sunday night two days after my birthday. Good job though because Ive only got a month and a week left on my warranty but Sony said that they will extend it now for free. The only game that I can play atm is Warhawk because it works off the hard drive. GTA is sitting there teasing me!!!
I recieved mine around 1pm but it all depends on how close you live to the courier's base.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28 (34,332 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

emokill00 wrote:

tommo23 wrote:
I recieved mine around 1pm but it all depends on how close you live to the courier's base.

Wouldn't happen to know where the courier's base is would you mate? (Yes sad I know but almost a full week without anything but Warhawk is giving me withdrawl symptoms lol)

Wanted List: GTA V, FIFA 13
Currently Playing: Starhawk, FIFA 12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28 (34,316 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Ok, I gotta say this. Does anyone else feel liike there is one of
these threads almost every week now? whats happening?? Could the PS3 be
going down the RROD route with its BD laser?? I know that the failure
rate is considerably lower than an XBOX 360 but what if......

I'm worried........

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28 (34,482 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

It doesn't matter whether I try a DVD, PS2 game, PS3 game (on BD) or a game from the PSN Store loaded from HDD, the same problem occurs.   You select the game, the PlayStation 3 logo appears, the screen goes black and then the HDD light stops flashing.
The upscaling is set to off (I only have an SD TV) and as far as I can see, no other options have been changed.   I spoke to my wife about it and she said it was ok this morning when our son was playing Burnout Paradise and it has not been used since then.
I'm going to phone Sony in a minute and see what they say.   At least I've managed to copy all my game saves onto USB stick.

Stewart
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28 (34,475 Views)
0 Kudos