StewWoo

60%
02 Rank
Progress

PS3 won't play games

27 Replies 37,520 Views Created 29-05-2008
29 May 2008
By StewWoo

I've just turned on my PS3 to set up a game for my son and no matter which game I choose, whether it be on BD or HDD it just won't play.   The HDD indicator light flashes for a few seconds and then stops and all you're left with is a blank screen.   The only choice available is to switch off the PS3 on the front and switch on again to reset - there is no response from the controller at all.

It's definitely not the HDD as I can play music and video files just fine.   Anyone got any ideas?   It was fine last week.

Cheers,

Stewart

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

the_baby_jebus

64%
02 Rank
Progress
the_baby_jebus
Accepted Solution
suggest giving 08705 99 88 77 Sony customer service a ring mate
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 won't play games

---------------------------------------------------------
Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight??
---------------------------------------------------------

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

StewWoo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
StewWoo
Accepted Solution

the_baby_jebus wrote:
suggest giving 08705 99 88 77 Sony customer service a ring mate

I phoned Sony - only had to wait in the queue for a minute or two.   I explained the problem and they suggested doing a full PS3 Restore.   Before I do this I will take a backup to a USB drive as at least it will save me having to download everything from the PSN Store again.

If a PS3 Restore doesn't work then they will arrange a replacement.   I made a point of asking whether I would get a like for like replacement of a 60GB version and the guy said that I would.

That's something at least.

btw, a standard audio CD works perfectly.

Stewart

EDIT: Right, now I am thinking it might be some sort of profile and/or corruption problem. I created a new user profile and logged in. The problem games on BD (GT5p & Burnout Paradise) and on HDD from the PSN Store (Grid Demo, High Velocity Bowling & Pain) are working properly for the test user but not for the existing users. They still sometimes hang when exiting though.

I'm going to go ahead with the backup and reset tonight and see what happens.

Message Edited by StewWoo on 29-05-2008 06:19 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Zastai

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Zastai
Accepted Solution

Did you create a PSN account for that test user? If not, it could be the games online update check that is hanging.

Do the games still fail to load (from the "real" user accounts) if you unplug the network cable and sign out of PSN before starting them?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

StewWoo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
StewWoo
Accepted Solution

Zastai wrote:

Did you create a PSN account for that test user? If not, it could be the games online update check that is hanging.

Do the games still fail to load (from the "real" user accounts) if you unplug the network cable and sign out of PSN before starting them?

I didn't create a PSN account, no.   I can't see how that would have made any difference to be honest as the games weren't even beginning to load let alone start checking for online updates.   I signed out from the PSN on the real accounts and they still didn't load.

Currently performing a full PS3 System Restore.   It initially calculated 3hrs 40m at 2% and is now at 3hrs 1m at 19%.   Either something is not right with their calculations or there's a lot to do after the HDD is formatted.

The backup failed too with the error 8001002A (I think that's what it was from memory) which after a big of a Google search turns out to be caused by trying to back up the corrupted area of the HDD.   Fortunately I have managed to save off my photos, music, videos and game saves so there's only the downloads from the PSN Store to worry about...oh and the 6.5GB update to GT5p.

Stewart

EDIT: interestingly, there are a number of people having similar problems with games not working after playing GTA4.   I don't have GTA4 (yeah, yeah, yeah ;-)) so that's not the issue here.

Message Edited by StewWoo on 31-05-2008 09:37 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

StewWoo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
StewWoo
Accepted Solution

Ok, good news.   The PS3 System Restore did the trick and I now have a fully functioning PS3 again.

Stewart

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

showershorts

40%
02 Rank
Progress
showershorts
Accepted Solution
i'm doing the same now, hope i have as much luck as you!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZenitArshavin

21%
02 Rank
Progress
ZenitArshavin
Accepted Solution
my ps3 is frustrating me! i can use my ps3's internet fine play music and go on any game i want while im signed out so im offline. If im signed in and go to play fifa cod5 or whatever game it will crash b4 it reaches the main menu usually resulting in a black screen and having to restart the ps3 from the switch. When i sign in when im already on the game it will just instantly crash.any ideas people? most appreciated
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ALBOSOLDIER313

21%
02 Rank
Progress
ALBOSOLDIER313
Accepted Solution

ayyyy if you put your stored stuff to a disk drivewilll everything be saved for example i have call of duty modern warfare 2 and i am level 50 if i use the disk drive it will save my online thing to right please reply to my eamail adress instead of this... silvanopopaj@yahoo.com thankss

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
23%
02 Rank
Progress
OpTiC_GiNgEr_PrO
Accepted Solution

the number is 08447360595 cheers

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

smileyrifle

24%
02 Rank
Progress
smileyrifle
Accepted Solution
Are you sure that that is the number because I have a few. I have 08705998877 and 08447360595
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Rebmahc

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Rebmahc
Accepted Solution

To be honest mate, it sounds like the Blu-ray drive has given up the ghost. Try a DVD, see if it works. Also, if you have a 60GB, turn off PS2 upscalling if its on, i know it sounds odd but has worked for one or two.

Honestly though, other than the advice of leave it off for an hour then try it again, id call Sony!

0 Kudos

Alan Sig

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Rastaban

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Rastaban
Accepted Solution
Same thing happened to me, i phoned Sony and they gave me a replacement machine. They come round take the knackered one and give you a new one.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

emokill00

90%
04 Rank
Progress
emokill00
Accepted Solution

Rastaban wrote:
Same thing happened to me, i phoned Sony and they gave me a replacement machine. They come round take the knackered one and give you a new one.

Not brand new of course.

They send you a refurbished system.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tommo23

60%
02 Rank
Progress
tommo23
Accepted Solution
My 60 GB blu ray drive has failed. Their supposed to be giving me a replacement refurbished on tomorrow. I hope they come early because Ive had this week off and when I finally get some game time the ps3 breaks on sunday night two days after my birthday. Good job though because Ive only got a month and a week left on my warranty but Sony said that they will extend it now for free. The only game that I can play atm is Warhawk because it works off the hard drive. GTA is sitting there teasing me!!!
0 Kudos

Wanted List: GTA V, FIFA 13
Currently Playing: Starhawk, FIFA 12

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

emokill00

90%
04 Rank
Progress
emokill00
Accepted Solution

tommo23 wrote:
My 60 GB blu ray drive has failed. Their supposed to be giving me a replacement refurbished on tomorrow. I hope they come early because Ive had this week off and when I finally get some game time the ps3 breaks on sunday night two days after my birthday. Good job though because Ive only got a month and a week left on my warranty but Sony said that they will extend it now for free. The only game that I can play atm is Warhawk because it works off the hard drive. GTA is sitting there teasing me!!!
I recieved mine around 1pm but it all depends on how close you live to the courier's base.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tommo23

60%
02 Rank
Progress
tommo23
Accepted Solution

emokill00 wrote:

tommo23 wrote:
I recieved mine around 1pm but it all depends on how close you live to the courier's base.

Wouldn't happen to know where the courier's base is would you mate? (Yes sad I know but almost a full week without anything but Warhawk is giving me withdrawl symptoms lol)
0 Kudos

Wanted List: GTA V, FIFA 13
Currently Playing: Starhawk, FIFA 12

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jai163

76%
05 Rank
Progress
jai163
Accepted Solution

Ok, I gotta say this. Does anyone else feel liike there is one of
these threads almost every week now? whats happening?? Could the PS3 be
going down the RROD route with its BD laser?? I know that the failure
rate is considerably lower than an XBOX 360 but what if......

I'm worried........

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

StewWoo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
StewWoo
Accepted Solution
It doesn't matter whether I try a DVD, PS2 game, PS3 game (on BD) or a game from the PSN Store loaded from HDD, the same problem occurs.   You select the game, the PlayStation 3 logo appears, the screen goes black and then the HDD light stops flashing.
The upscaling is set to off (I only have an SD TV) and as far as I can see, no other options have been changed.   I spoke to my wife about it and she said it was ok this morning when our son was playing Burnout Paradise and it has not been used since then.
I'm going to phone Sony in a minute and see what they say.   At least I've managed to copy all my game saves onto USB stick.

Stewart
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Turnitdown

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Turnitdown
Accepted Solution

jai163 wrote:

Ok, I gotta say this. Does anyone else feel liike there is one of
these threads almost every week now? whats happening?? Could the PS3 be
going down the RROD route with its BD laser?? I know that the failure
rate is considerably lower than an XBOX 360 but what if......

I'm worried........

Everything Breaks, Its just all the guys that have got broken ones have posted on here

If we looked at 360's forum i bet there'd be one of these threads every day!

Once a week is pretty good when you look at the massive machine

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
23%
02 Rank
Progress
OpTiC_GiNgEr_PrO
Accepted Solution
oh ok is it suggested to ring them? and will they definitely bring one back?
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel