Technical Help

18 Apr 2012
By: PRM1968

4 Posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 won't start - safe mode and repair not working

[ Edited ]
4 Replies 2563 Views edited 18-04-2012

Hi. I may be jumping the gun, but our PS3 recently decided that - when switched on - a blank black screen would be all we'd see on the tele.

Reading another post I followed the instructions to start in Safe Mode and tried Restore the File System.

This seemed to work, but after repairing bad bits on the hard drive, it tried to start and unfortunately went back to the screen saying there were bad sectors on the Hard drive and to Click OK to repair.

I am just about to try Rebuild database, much to the anger of my son who will lose all his saved stuff.

Is this the right thing to do ? Should I be working my way down the options in Safe Mode ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Peter

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (2,563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: PS3 won't start - safe mode and repair not working

I would suggest that you try resetting the display settings. If the PS3 is starting in safe mode then your TV cables are okay. When you turn it on, and nothing appears, are you able to turn it off normally using the front button/controller? (even though you can't see)

Try turning it off, and pressing and holding the power button till you hear the second beep, then let go. The display should reset to 576i and boot up in SD. You can then set the resolution again in Display Settings.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (2,562 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try, but why would it keep saying that there's problems with the hard drive ?
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (2,558 Views)
0 Kudos

Well, the PS3 is working, but I had to choose the optin "5.Restore PS3 System" which unfortunately wiped the whole PS3 memory.

My son is devastated.

At least the machine is working again.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (2,546 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

That usually appears as a precautionary measure when the PS3 is switched off incorrectly. Always use the on screen options or front button and wait for the standby light to turn red. If the system is unresponsive hold the front button till it turns off.

NEVER unplug or use the rear switch to power off.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (2,541 Views)
0 Kudos