21 Apr 2011
By: RabidWalker Beta Tester 3,743 Posts
Level 6

PSN Outage and FAQ- Updated Tuesday 17th May

[ Edited ]
20 Replies 19,005 Views edited 17-05-2011

[Update 17/5/11]

If you have any queries regarding the PSN outage, please click on the link below. This will hopefully answer some of your questions. If you have any addtional queries please post them in this board and I will update the FAQ.

* FAQS for PSN Outage* 

Includes details of the 'Welcome Back Pack' and also password reset help.

Also if there are any issues-

I am having issues resetting my PSN Password? (error code 80023156)

[Update Monday 16th May]

Please see our FAQ guide regarding the PSN Outage which can be found on our Network Solution Board here.

You can also add any queries to the thread, and I will incorporate them into the FAQ.

The following functions should now be available on the PSN:

• Online Gaming
  • Trophy syncing
  • Friends List

I will update this thread with more information and when the PSN resumes normal operation.

For more information:

Spanish Community please see here

Portugese Community please see here

French Community please see here

Italy Community please see here

German Community please see here

[Update 10/05/11]- Nick Caplan- Head of Communications, SCEE

I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

[Update 09/05/11]

Regarding the aim of  the full restoration of PSN services by the 31st May : -

Restoration of Online Gamplay is the FIRST phase of the plan to restore the PSN.

[Update 07/05/11] Nick Caplan- Head of Communications, SCEE

As you may know, we’ve begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We’re still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.

As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.

When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage.

[Update 06/05/11] Nick Caplan- Head of Communications, SCEE

As you will have read in the letter from Sir Howard Stringer, that we posted a few hours ago, in the US we are offering all PSN users one year’s free access to an identity protection scheme. I can assure you that here in the SCEE region, we are working incredibly hard to offer you something very similar. As is often the case here, with so many countries in our region, this is a very complicated thing to achieve, but we are close.

F.A.Q.'s posted recently on the Blog:

Q: Will our download history/friends list/settings be affected by the PSN downtime?
A: No, they will not.

Q: Will trophies that were earned in single-player offline games during the outage be intact when the service resumes?
A: These trophies are intact and will be re-synched when the network is once again operational.

Q: Will my PS+ cloud saves be retrievable?
A: Yes, once PSN is restored.

Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?
A: From Sony Online Entertainment: “We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a “make good” plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.”

Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven’t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?
A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Thank you for your continued feedback.

Q: Are you working with law enforcement on this matter?
A: Yes, we are currently working with law enforcement on this matter as well as a recognised technology security firm and local law enforcement to conduct a complete investigation. This criminal attack against our system and against our customers is a criminal act and we are proceeding aggressively to find those responsible.

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code, sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) and expiration date may have been obtained.

Q: What steps should I take at this point to help protect my personal data?
A: For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your statements.

Q: What if I don’t know which credit card I’ve got attached to my PlayStation Network account?
A: If you’ve added funds to your PlayStation Network wallet in the past, you should have received a confirmation email from “DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net” at the email address associated with your account. This email would have been sent to you immediately after you added the funds, and will contain the first four digits and last four digits of your credit card number. You can also check your previous credit card statements to determine which card was attached to your PlayStation Network or Qriocity accounts.

Q: When or how can I change my PlayStation Network password?
A: We are working on a new system software update that will require all users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. We will provide more details about the new update shortly.

Q: Have all PlayStation Network and Qriocity users been notified of the situation?
A: In addition to alerting the media and posting information about it on this blog, we have also been sending emails directly to all 77 million registered accounts. It takes a bit of time to send that many emails, and not every email will still be active, but this process has been underway since yesterday. At this time, the majority of emails have been sent and we anticipate that all registered accounts will have received notifications by April 28th. Consumers may also visit uk.playstation.com/psnoutage and www.qriocity.com for notices regarding this issue. In addition, we have taken steps to disseminate information regarding this issue to media outlets so that consumers are informed.

Q: What steps is Sony taking to protect my personal data in the future?
A: We’ve taken several immediate steps to add protections for your personal data. First, we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and, second, we are enhancing security and strengthening our network infrastructure. Moving forward, we are initiating several measures that will significantly enhance all aspects of PlayStation Network’s security and your personal data, including moving our network infrastructure and data center to a new, more secure location, which is already underway. We will provide additional information on these measures shortly.

Q: Has Sony identified the party or parties responsible for the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent theft of personal information?
A: We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation and are working closely with a recognised technology security firm in order to find those responsible for this criminal act, no matter where in the world they might be located.

Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.

For latest information please check out our EU Blog

PM me, or catch me on Twitter @RabidWalker

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (19,005 Views)
Level 2

Re: Maintenance scheduled today Thursday 21st April 2011

You av seriously put my mind at ease cuz right about now im screwin! Iv been having alot of problems signing in for a couple weeks now n there worse by the day but since this morning i keep gettin error code 80710A06 please tell me this wont affect my system permantly as yesterday everythin was cool even HOMEFRONT worked! i never downloaded nothing n and as this is a code from a corrupted download iv already stared deleting recently updated GAME DATA n its made no difference! any chance u know why im gettin this code please bro?

I DONT NEED LUCK? I GOT AMMO!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21 (18,935 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

F1NG3RZ- wrote:
You av seriously put my mind at ease cuz right about now im screwin! Iv been having alot of problems signing in for a couple weeks now n there worse by the day but since this morning i keep gettin error code 80710A06 please tell me this wont affect my system permantly as yesterday everythin was cool even HOMEFRONT worked! i never downloaded nothing n and as this is a code from a corrupted download iv already stared deleting recently updated GAME DATA n its made no difference! any chance u know why im gettin this code please bro?

Hi F1NG3RZ,

This error code is a result of the current outage so is not reflective of any issues with your console. When the outage has finished and the PSN is back on I'll let everyone know so you can give it another go getting online. Don't worry I've had a few issues the past week on my console getting on so it's not your specific console I believe.

Hope this helps :Thumbs:

RabidWalker

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21 (18,889 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Hiya guys, i turned on my ps3 this morning & it wont sign in, error message comes up. ok so there is a problem with PSN (relax Chums) lol, thanks for news RabidWalker, stupid question coming @ RW what's this "outrage" thing you talk of....lol, cheers,
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (18,807 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Lol, i ment "outage" coz i know what "outrage" means,Lol
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21 (18,595 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

RABIDWALKER you a dimand! Thanks for the info you'v answerd nearly every problem iv ever looked for on here since iv been online n usually befor iv had 2 ask! it was thinking my system was done for that u dont need thirst thing in the mornin! lol can i ask 1 quick question tho i tryed 2 change my avatar on here 2day n as u can see im stuck with " 50 pence" n cant change it!!! there is a list of avatars but if i cick on em nothin happens and " 50 pence" is'nt really the look i was going for! lol cheers mukka!

I DONT NEED LUCK? I GOT AMMO!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (18,104 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: PSN Outage today Thursday 21st April 2011(80710A06)

thanks for the info hope it gets fix i was going to go on killzone 3 y todays update was going on but cant do that to bad.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (17,565 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

F1NG3RZ- wrote:
RABIDWALKER you a dimand! Thanks for the info you'v answerd nearly every problem iv ever looked for on here since iv been online n usually befor iv had 2 ask! it was thinking my system was done for that u dont need thirst thing in the mornin! lol can i ask 1 quick question tho i tryed 2 change my avatar on here 2day n as u can see im stuck with " 50 pence" n cant change it!!! there is a list of avatars but if i cick on em nothin happens and " 50 pence" is'nt really the look i was going for! lol cheers mukka!

There has been some issues with Forum registration at the mo, which maybe why you can't change it. I would try changing it when this is a bit more stable...I fear you may be stuck with 'Fiddy' a few days longer :Shame:

Rabid :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (16,572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks for the info Fewww i thort i had another NAT type 3 saga on my hands then and was getting ready to have a big modem saga ps3 network over the last month daytimes has been funny not signing in and updates errors codes ect..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (14,973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: PSN Outage today Thursday 21st April 2011(80710A06)

That  was Thursday- this is Saturday April 23rd...Does the Network ever intend to resume, At least some of the dedicated users of Playstation Network may like to know, should we begin selling our Playstation Three's ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21 (6,445 Views)
0 Kudos