13 Jun 2010

Playstation Staff

Playstation 3 not connecting to network

16 Replies 522 Views Created 13-06-2010

Playstation has been working for a year, now it isn't connecting to the network. Just played today and now nothing. Running check network connection for 15 minutes and is still running... Any clue?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Playstation 3 not connecting to network

could be all sorts of things, unfortunately.

might be worth you reading my psn connection problems thread - link is in my sig line below :smileyhappy:

As in that thread, if it doesn't sort it out, post back in this thread with the answers to the questions at the top of that one and we'll go from there :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (503 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

hi, my 60gb PS3 has not been able to connect at all since the 3.00 update, before then my connection had no problems. I've contacted Netgear, and followed their advise to the letter, but still cannot connect. I also now have another problem, I restored to default settings to see if it might help, but now I cannot access my game save data for PS3 games, as it says I need to sign up. Obviously I cant sign in, as I can't connect anymore.

Is there any way I can access my save data, if I cant get back online?

1) any error messages you are getting .... the connection to the access point timed out

2) when the problem happens .... unable to connect at all

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all ... no

4) run the network connection test ... fails on obtaining IP

5) who your ISP is .... AOL

6) what make and model your router is .... Netgear DG834G v3

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router .... wireless

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work .... worked with no problems until the 3.00 update

9) what DNS servers you use .... 208.67.222.222,  208.67.220.220 as advised by Netgear

10) if you have changed your MTU .... 1500, tried 1400 but doesnt help

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ .... at the moment no, but tried that too with no success

do you have any ideas plz? thanks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (495 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

connection restored

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17 (449 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

fab - what did you do? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (428 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

unfortunately I'm still unable to connect at all, whats bugging me most atm is not being able to access my save data :smileysad:
Is there any advice you could give me plz?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17 (420 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

your base problem is all going to be stemming from the 'fail to obtain IP'.

which (as you are wireless) could be due to 3 basic reasons:
1) your router has wireless broadcast turned off (do you have any other wireless devices that can see it?)
2) your PS3 is too far away to get a good signal (can you move router and or PS3 closer together to check?)
3) your PS3 network card is dead :smileysad:

there are some other, less likely but possible things - like MAC address blocking or incorrect WPA password too, but lets rule out the first 2 options first :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17 (418 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

we have 2 laptops and 2 Wii's all of which get an excellent connection. My PS3 is about 15 ft from my router, with 1 wall between and always worked excellently before. unfortunately its not possible to move them closer, or to use a wired connection.

I wondered about the network card, but when the PS3 tries to connect the green light still flashes.

Also, if I connect the ethernet cable from my laptop to my PS3 it finds the PS3's IP .... sorry I'm not technically minded so I don't know if that means anything :?

The WEP password is correct, and the correct MAC address was entered too, Netgear say the router is working correctly, and both they and the PC expert in the house cant find any reason why it wont work. the router recognises the PS3. But the PS3 no longer seems to recognise the router .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17 (413 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

all good tests there :smileyhappy:

are you trying to connect via easy, or manual?
if via manual, you may have mis-typed one of the IPs, and ended up with your PS3 in the wrong sub-group or something?

Via the PC, go to the router's control page, and click on the 'attached devices' option on the left - which should then show you what the router thinks is connected to it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (408 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

the PS3 is allowed access on the router, and both the router and PS3 have the latest firmware updates.

IP's check out ok I think .... PS3 192.168.0.57 .... router 192.168.0.1

oh, I've tried both easy and manual 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17 (406 Views)
0 Kudos