[EN] Archive

Technical Help

Technical Help

03 Aug 2010
By: khalid-999 Member 9 Posts
Level 1

Please help.. An ethernet cable is not connected!

17 Replies 9307 Views Created 03-08-2010

Hi

I recently starded to get this message.

It was working perfect, then suddenly it started to blink this message constantly: "an ethernet cable is not connected".

I tried switching off my PS3, trying another cable, resetting my router.. and none of this worked.

Please note that every device in my house works fine, so it has nothing to do with my router,

I have a 250GB Slim.

If you search over the web, other people are having the same problem.

Does anyone have a solution please?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (9,307 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Please help.. An ethernet cable is not connected!

have you tried unplugging the cable from both the PS3 and the router and blowing any dust out, also blow any dust off the cable connectors too before plugging them back in

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (9,304 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I tried another cable and it didn't work. I also used another port in the router (that was working perfectly with another device).

There was no dust in the PS3 connectors. The cable is always pulgged in anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (9,300 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

bear with me here, it will sound weird... :smileywink:

Can you unplug the ethernet cable.
Run the 'internet connection test'
choose WIRELESS, and then easy.

It should now scan for available SSIDs (wireless networks).

IF it finds any, stop there - the key thing we are testing is actually if the wireless card is working.

This assumes that there is actually a wireless network to find! But unless you are miles from anyone, there usually is :smileyhappy:

report back on the results and we'll go from there :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (9,292 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I've done that, and there are wireless networks showing up.

I can connect to my router via wireless, but I find it better, and more quality to connect through a wired connection. Due to my slow connection, I have a lag-less online experience with EVERY game I played until now while connecting via a wired connection, but when I connect via a wireless connection, I experience some lag.

Thats why I want to connect to my router via a wired connection.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (9,289 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

absolutely! :smileyhappy:

Wired is better than wireless in every respect :smileyhappy:

However - the reason for doing the wireless test is that typically if the wired ethernet port on the PS3 dies, it usually takes out the wireless aspect with it (and vice versa).

By being able to connect via wireless, it gives us a (very) strong indication that the actual network 'card' within the PS3 is working - which is a good thing :smileyhappy:

Given that this is the case, we are left with less possibilities as the root cause - again a good thing :smileyhappy:

So...
As you have already ruled out both the cable and the router ports, the most likely culprit is corrupted drivers.

In which case, we're looking at safe boot mode, option 3 - see link below, but be sure to read about the implications of choosing the wrong option.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

Note that occasionally, a second safe boot may be required, choosing option 4 this time.

Backup of game saves are always a good idea though before option 4, just in case.
You have 2 options - individual saves to usb stick, or a full backup to external usb HDD

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (9,283 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

So just to be sure.

I'll run my system of safe mood, then choose option 3 (3. Restore File System), then after if finishes, I'll try to setup a wired connection and do a connection test.

If that didn't work, I'll run my system on safe mode again, and choose option 4 (4. Rebuild Database).

If that didn't work, I'l get back to you again :smileytongue:

Is there anything wrong with what I'm about to do?

Also, will my PSN games, games patches/updated and other gaming stuff get deleted?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (9,279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

with option 4 yes but if you purchased them through the playstation store you can download the games via transaction management.

The Game updates will automatically update when you put the relative game disc in.

Demo's are the same as games, download through transaction management.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (9,273 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks to everyone. I'm now done with doing option 3 operation. Before doing it, my brother told me that it was working normal then it got disconnected again. Now I'll wait for one day and see if that problems comes again or not. So please keep this thread opened, in case if I had some difficulties. Again, thanks for your help.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (9,243 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I had the same problem again.
I don't want to do option 4 because it deletes my PSN games and the other things that I downloaded.
Downloading everything again will take a long time.
It's better that I send my PS3 to service center, I don't even think that option 4 will solve the problem.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (9,213 Views)
0 Kudos