21 Dec 2009
Playstation Staff

Ps3 Won't read the disc but BLUE light is on?

12 Replies 21,689 Views Created 21-12-2009

My ps3 has stopped reading discs even though the blue light is on. Sometimes I can get it to work by switching the ps3 on and off several times before the disc will appear on the ps3. This is a real pain and sometimes it doesn't even work at all. Any ideas ? :'(

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (21,689 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 Won't read the disc but BLUE light is on?

Sounds like the blue ray going not much you can do or a dirty lens

Repair it

Or

Phone sony to repair it

Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (21,664 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (21,641 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I Just needed to ask, did you manage to fix it yourself?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (21,601 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Nope no luck :smileysad: Although it doesn't take as many turns on and off as it use to. lol
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (21,547 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Hello dudes!

Have you tried using the PS3's recovery menu to restore the file system? This usually fixes problems that people experience when games don't load and such.

You've got nothing to lose regardless, so it's probably worth giving a go!

It's recommended that you back up your save game files before attempting this, although you shouldn't lose any data attempting this fix.

It's a simple enough thing to do. These are the kind of videos you may want to take a look at if you want to try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pVJ3q_MGIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLiX4j2M3o

Otherwise, you could always contact Sony and see what they have to say about it. They may be able to offer you some assistance with the issue. Details are below:

Playstation Customer Service Number
UK: 08705 99 88 77
Eire: 0818 365 065

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (21,542 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Wow, Thanks for all the info :smileywink:

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (21,514 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I had the same problem. i used a can of AirDust (I used Memorex Brand, but any can of Air will work - it's basically the same thing you would use to clean out a computer keyboard) and blew the air it into the disc drive for a few seconds. And that did the trick for me. Must have been a dirty lens or something.
I also used a DVD cleaner Disc before using the can of Air. So it might have been the combination of the two that helped me. Either way it worked for me.
I know you're thinking how did I use the DVD, well despite the fact that a BluRay Game Disc doesn't show up on the PS3, the DVD will show up. You just have look for it in a different place. I can't recall the heading, but if you scroll through the different headings on your PS3 you'll see it . At least mine showed up and I was quite surprised. I hope this helps someone. Try both the Air and the DVD Cleaner Disc. You have nothing to lose and my PS3 is working great now.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (19,640 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

So I replaced my bluray drive with another ps3's drive and nothing has changed.. has anyone figured this out yet?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (16,186 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Furrbz wrote:
So I replaced my bluray drive with another ps3's drive and nothing has changed.. has anyone figured this out yet?

depending on how you did that, it may well not work - you can't just swap the entire unit.

more details in my blu ray thread, in my sig line

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (16,172 Views)
0 Kudos