27 Sep 2010
Playstation Staff

Ps3 controller left analog stick won't go left/right!?

6 Replies 7,751 Views Created 27-09-2010

Strangely enough, one day my dualshock sixaxis controller left analog stick won't go left or right! only up down! (this is visually physically it will lol)

I have been playing the past week fine and have no issues with the controller before, anyone know how to fix it?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (7,751 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 controller left analog stick won't go left/right!?

Sounds like your controller has had it. Is it a Dualshock 3 or just the standard PS3 controller? If you don't know, check the underside and it should tell you if it is DualShock 3. Just more of an inquiry, not that important.

I would probably recommend a new controller unfortunately.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (7,749 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

sounds like a chance to take it apart fella

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (7,747 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Took it apart, now can't be bothered/ too fiddly to put it back XD, i'll put it back one day and see. probably get a new controller though. I was hoping there was a solution other than taking it apart but it doesn't seem so :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (7,738 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I had a similar problem this morning. My controller was working last night but this morning when I started the PS3 it immediately moved the X bar to the bottom. Soon, I lost all ability to control any functions with the controller minus the PS button if I pushed really hard. After scouring the web and trying the reset thing I recalled last night that I was playing a demo that used the stick at certain points in the game and I used the left stick. Now I have no control. I then noticed that if I push really hard that I could navigate the X bar using the d-pad but I had to press REALLY hard. I then went back to the demo which allowed you to use the sticks to look around before starting the game (Vanquish) and using the right stick worked fine but the left stick would (up/down) would reset back to to up position after selecting down, in this case on the demo it would return to "game" after selecting "system". After figuring that the stick was possibly preventing the other buttons from functioning I gave the controller a little squeeze/twist at the handle and heard something crack and then all control returned. Somehow something happened during game play that caused something to stick on the stick. Hopefully this will solve your issue since you've taken the controller apart already. If nothing else is wrong with it things should work in the case of things not working. Success.

To the kid in you. PS3
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (7,572 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I know this is an old thread, but i had a similar issue.

When I started my PS3 the menus scrolled to the top.

I was annoyed so i pulled apart my controller and checked everything, cleaned it all out.
I put it back together again with no joy. I realised that the analogue stick seemed to be out by 40 degrees since pointing down right went right, up-left went left, etc.

Finally found this thread and believe it or not, twisting on the controller a bit fixed the issue straight away!

Thanks mate!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (7,171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

it happened my dualshock 3, have it bout 3 weeks a white one , but mine only wants to go right, i flick it up i got right, flick it left i go right, flick it down i go right ... any1 know how to fix it its very annoying 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (5,676 Views)
0 Kudos