09 Sep 2010
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Ps3 turns on then straight off

11 Replies 9,188 Views Created 09-09-2010

so i fixed my ps3 yesterday and turned it on after fixing it and it came on, so i went downstairs for a minute or 2 when i came back up the ps3 was turned off, so i tryed turning it back on with the touch button and it didnt work so i flicked the switch at the back and again to turn it back on and the ps3 started up automaticly, but only comes on for a few seconds, and nothing shows on the tv. it beeps the usual to start up, beeps again, and turns of. is this a power failure?

ive read a few posts like this and people say its the power supply, is this correct?

thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (9,188 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 turns on then straight off

unlikely to be the power supply I would say - both something obviously isn't right!

When you say you 'fixed' it - what exactly did you do?

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (9,185 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

re flowed the chips, Followed gilskys guide on youtube, Well it defo got rid of the YLOD soo i dont know =/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (9,184 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ive done a video of what it does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXR5zsdQQmw

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (9,181 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

have you got the hard drive in it yet??? I just read the comments on you tube :Lol:

trying to press the eject button won't do nothing unless you have a disk in :Lol:

you haven't got a power failure because the red/green light is on so power is fine......

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (9,174 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

well i didnt think it would be the hard drive because ive seen vids on youtube of people strting ps3's up without hard drive in and it comes up on screen correct hard drive not found,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (9,170 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Well put the hard drive in then?
I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (9,168 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Not got it yet, hopefully recieve it tomorrow or saturday, i guess ill have to try it then.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (9,167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Whilst not having an HDD will definitely cause issues :smileywink:, you are correct in thinking that it should be at least giving you a message about it being missing... :smileysad:

Which implies that there COULD well be something more serious going on (as well).

Unfortunately, having done a DIY 'fix' you are now in the boat of having no one to go back to - and to be a little bit brutal, the DIY 'reflow' fix, whilst it works for many people, there are some POTENTIALLY huge risks in doing it...
And it does look like you may have hit hard up against them :smileysad:

Fingers crossed that when you put a drive in, it will be ok - but I'm not certain it will be I'm afraid :smileysad:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (9,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

just had a though Could the touch pad be possibly like constantly pressing at all, becase as soon as i flick the switch at the back it turns on??

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (9,140 Views)
0 Kudos