15 Mar 2011

Playstation Staff

Recovering GAME data from a crashed PS3 hard drive (YLOD). Suggestions?

7 Replies 5,674 Views Created 15-03-2011

So my 60 gig got the YLOD. I bought a 160 gig and took the old PS3 to this local computer repair shop. The dudes running the place said they could transfer the data from the old to the new PS3. These guys are smart, but young and kinda unprofessional in some ways. They took the old PS3 apart and said the data was hard to get because it was encrypted. 5 excuses and 1.5 weeks later they say the hard drive is too corrupted to get any data off it. Honestly I wonder if they just got tired of dealing with something they couldn't fix. So... question: is sending it to SONY my best bet at getting all that saved game data? Or at least if they could confirm it's too corrupted or not? Is that huge list of trophies gone if I can't get this data back? The hard drive can't be THAT corrupted. The YLOD happened and I went online to see what the deal was so it's not like I kept trying to use the thing after it crashed. What do you guys do in a case like this?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (5,674 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Recovering GAME data from a crashed PS3 hard drive (YLOD). Suggestions?

You can't just plug in the hard drive and get the data like you would from a PC. To try and get the data yourself, get yourself a hairdryer and blow the hot air into the back of the PS3 for roughly 10 minutes and try turning the YLOD PS3 back on. If this works you should have more than enough time available to back up your essential saves, or you could use the data transfer between 2 PS3's with an ethernet cable.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (5,663 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I may try that but I doubt it will work. when the console has the YLOD it will only stay on for 15-20 seconds... not enough time to even look through the game data let alone transfer it. That would prevent transfer from the old to the new PS3 as well. I may have to call SONY or go to another computer geek guy here in San Francisco.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (5,658 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

YLOD is usually caused by overheating, due to the thermal paste inside your ps3 wearing away over time and extended use; as such it's unlikely that the data on your hard drive is corrupted. However, you won't be able to recover any of that data until you manage to get your PS3 up and running, the only real way to do this is by effectively re-soldering your console. Gilksy has a great series of vids on youtube explaining how to do this, though you're likely to find you'll need to buy some equipment and, like myself, you may not feel confident enough to carry this out. The hairdryer trick is risky as it does not always work and may prevent a further fix, however if successful it would give you the time you needed to back up your saves.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think Sony will be able to offer you any help with recovering your lost data- I don't think that's a service they offer. In my experience faulty ps3's are generally replaced with a refurb, not repaired.

The new Cloud service (which allows you to back up your saves to an online storage account) might be something to look into with your new PS3, I wish this had been around before my 60gb died a few months ago!

To end on a positive note though, your account, and any trophies you had synched to it are not lost, this can be recovered on your new PS3, just press x on your profile and your trophies will re synch. :smileyhappy:

Twitter: @Kohl_Kitten
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (5,652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

ZEPHYROS-SF wrote:

I may try that but I doubt it will work. when the console has the YLOD it will only stay on for 15-20 seconds... not enough time to even look through the game data let alone transfer it. That would prevent transfer from the old to the new PS3 as well. I may have to call SONY or go to another computer geek guy here in San Francisco.

The hairdryer method is well known and has proved successful in the past. If it's successful you may get a few extra days usage out of the console.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (5,647 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Excellent and greatly appreciated response man. I'm sure I can find some data recovery biz here in San Francisco... capital of all things electronic... well sort of.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (5,620 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Info is greatly appreciated young Grasshopper.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (5,619 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I got the YLOD two days ago.  Through this site, I verified that it has to be sent in for repairs.  I called SONY on this and they DO NOT offer any data retrieval, at least per the person I spoke to on the line.  I was given the choice of trading it in for a $99 fee, that would get me a 160GB PS3, or send my current one in for repairs for $125, which the repair includes reformatting and losing all data contained in the HDD with no attempt at retrieving saved data.

Personally, I would like to keep my current one, it's the first gen series, so I have the 4 USB ports and the memory stick options.  I have not tried the hair dryer method but I will.  All I need is for it to boot up with enough time to backup my saves onto the memory stick.

Can anyone verify this has worked with a first gen PS3?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (4,085 Views)
0 Kudos