29 Apr 2012

Playstation Staff

Replacing blu ray drive because mine bust!

9 Replies 5,997 Views Created 29-04-2012
Hi I've recently bought a blu ray drove for ps3 online to put in my broken ps3. But when it arrived it looked a little different too the one already inside, as In the motherboard was inside and didn't have the same amount of wires going from the motherboard too the drive itself. Connections too the Playstation from the drive where the same but it looks as though it's from an earlier or later version ps3 than mine. Was just wondering if anyone can relate too this problem and maybe give me a solution as in to weather I can make it fit or tell me what model ps3 body id have to buy for it to fit in. My ps3 is a 40 gig one. Any help will be muchly appreciated! Thanks
Jack
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (5,997 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: Replacing blu ray drive because mine bust!

All PS3 take the same type of hard drive. 2.5" SATA.
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (5,993 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sorry I think you misread, it's the blu ray drive I'm talking about
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (5,991 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Ah yes, my mistake. Sorry.

Blu-ray drives that people buy externally for replacement don't tend to work in the PS3. There's been a lot of threads here about this.

Think you might just have to get Sony to replace it.
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (5,984 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Could this drive I have be for the ps3 slimline? With the
Motherboard for the drive under a metal cover?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (5,980 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Think it may be for an 80bg ps3 maybe. Will have to buy a broken one on eBay that just needs a new drive. Gutted! Anyone
Got one lol?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (5,979 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Hey dude, when I replaced my 80GB blu-ray drive I got the replacement drive here:

http://www.consoleparts4u.co.uk/sony-ps3-console-24-c.asp

When I ordered (about a month ago) they were offering a £10 refund if you send them the broken drive.

I had to detach the motherboard from the original drive, attach it to the new one and then replace the drive. I couldn't find a guide for the 80GB specifically but it seems to work fine now.

So it is certainly possible to repair, just make sure you've got the right drive and that you make sure you're aware of any risks before you start :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (5,978 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

When replacing the drive you should always ensure you're getting the EXACT same drive as a replacement, otherwise there's a good chance it'll either break immediately, or not even be compatible with the motherboard. There's dozens of different PS3 BD Drives, but you need to ensure you're getting the right one.

40GB PS3, or Fat PS3 isn't accurate enough for this though, you'll need the part numbers for the BluRay drive to be sure. :smileywink:

Good luck and I'm glad I'm not you! Replacing the BluRay drive is pretty risky. Make sure you're taking all the necessary safety steps and don't hurt yourself!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (5,972 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

There's a compatibility list here:

http://www.consoleparts4u.co.uk/replacement-sony-ps3-bluray-drive-kem-410aca-type-399-p.asp

Although yeah you might still want to bust your PS3 open and check the drive itself. After all, you'll only be opening it up later anyway.

As far as risk goes, replacing the drive itself isn't particularly risky - changing the laser possibly, but for the drive itself you shouldn't need to deal with any components of the PS3 apart from the blu-ray drive, its connectors and its motherboard.

You know, ground yourself, don't touch components more than you have to, be careful with the ribbon cables etc.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (5,971 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Also, don't make more work for yourself! :smileywink:

It may seem obvious but the more things you tinker with, the more likely things are to go wrong! Its easy to get distracted by the shiny things inside.

One last thing to those who have new PS3's or are less experienced: DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF. If your PS3 is under warranty Sony will replace it for free! Also, if you don't know your SATA from your FAT32 then you should probably leave the lid of the console firmly shut and get a professional to do it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (5,969 Views)
0 Kudos