31 Jan 2012
Playstation Staff

Restore File System... Failed?

3 Replies 354 Views Created 31-01-2012

When I went to turn my PS3 on [the "fat" 80gb model, although I quickly upgraded the hard drive to a 120gb] recently the screen for some reason stated to "press X in order to Restore File System". So I did, when the PS3 restarted the screen was black. After checking the video connections and reset the video display (holding the power button till it beeps one more time) still nothing happened. I decided to see if the Safe Mode would help, I booted into this mode and the video display works fine so that wasn't the issue. I saw the option "Restore File System" and in hope that it would re-do it correctly this time I decided to choose that option.

I assume it worked correctly this time as now I can get back to the normal PS3 Menu (and the hard drive works correctly). Though now all my Data seems to be lost, I checked the system settings to see if the PS3 somehow formatted the hard drive and to my surprise it states that there is the same amount of space left on the drive as when it was all working correctly.

Because of this I believe my data is still intact so how would I go back to before things went wrong?

If it is any help: A long time ago I dual-booted the PS3 with linux, now that this feature is not part of the software and uses a different partition of the hard drive I think that when recovering my PS3 accidentally now uses this partition to run the PS3 software (which will explain why the hard drive is as full as before yet nothing is visible). Also I have access to another PS3 (be it on a lower hard drive capacity, 40gb whereas my current one uses 120gb) if that is needed in any way.

I have not used the PS3 since this issue occurred and would like to go back to helping Nathan Drake and the gang of PS3 games from where I left off. I have already contected help@uk.playstation.com but only got the usual customer service "Call blah blah blah..." answer.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (354 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: Restore File System... Failed?

try going through some of the other safe mode options
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (332 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I have just been through them all apart from 'Restore PS3 System' as that will delete everything, a process I'm trying to avoid. No luck I'm afraid.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (329 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

A restore is the only other thing i can think of..

But you could try calling Sony customer support to see if they can advise you on any other solutions:

Number is 0844 736 0595 for the UK

For other countries go to:
http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Contact-Us-Playstation-Support-Number/m-p/...

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (323 Views)
0 Kudos