18 Apr 2012
By Goldjit
Playstation Staff

Restoring my PS3 freezes at 49% Please help!

8 Replies 5,518 Views Created 18-04-2012

I have tried 3 times now to restore the data from my old PS3 hard drive (320gbs) to my new one (1tb).

In each time, it freezes at 49% stating it will take about 4 and half hours each time.

After the second time, I deduced the size of the data file (from 230gbs to 177gbs) as well as complelely redoing the back up process.

The back up process always completed without a problem.

My software is up-to-date and the 1tb harddrive is brand new and works fine.

Please help me, I've been doing this for 3 days in which the PS3 and HDD have been on all the time.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can complete the restoring process?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (5,518 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Restoring my PS3 freezes at 49% Please help!

Sorry I forgot to say;

IF it comes to the solution that I have to download EVERYTHING again (please god no...), I will be able to download the PSN+ content that has been removed over the months? (Like the free Burnout PSN game from last summer or DLC for comes)

Once again, I only ask this IF it has to come down to it... oh God... 230gbs to download would take weeks...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (5,516 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

How long have you left it at 49%? mine took about 22 hours to restore just under 300GB and was stuck at 89% for at least 5 hours but I just left it and it all went fine eventualy.

I don't think the estamated time means anything 'cos it only said it would take about 6 hours when I started it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (5,493 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Each time had a overall timeframe that it would complete at. I waited:

First time: About 4 hours after completion.

Second time: About 2 hours after completion.

Third time: About the time it said it would complete.

I should point out that I did roam around my downloads and they always had the same imcomeplete file size. (So Burnout P would always be about 2.3gb everytime)

Plus, the harddrive I used to back up that data, has a light infront that flickers when it's in use. It stopped every time it got to 49%.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (5,490 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

To answer your other question about PS+:

As long as you 'purchased' the game, DLC, Avatar or theme during the month it was available on PS+ you can re-download it from your download history at a later date

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (5,472 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

When i restored mine it got stuck for AGES...We're talking hours on a certain percentage with nothing happening....It took over 30 hours to restore fully.....I'd restart it again and just forget about it for a day or so...As long as there's no error messages

addicted to PSV GD
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (5,462 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ok, I suppose I will let it run for a while then.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do. I'm completely in the blind here.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (5,455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

IT WORKED! Seems it wasn't frozen at all just showing on screen as if it is. Sony should sort that out. Thank you to everyone that helped. :smileyhappy:

Now... I have another problem.... My PSN+ content is locked and I think I know why. During my first attempt to restore the hard drive (the one that was incomplete but I still could use the PS3 normally), I activated the PS3 system from my account. At the time I believed everything was ok and I wanted to check on my PSN game data. 

It wasn't until after I activated it that I notice that the restoring was incomlete.

Anyway, I tried to activate my PS3 now but I still can't access my PSN+ games. Any idea on what I should do?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (5,441 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Never mind, it seems to be fine now. Can access everything. Weird.

ANYWAY!!!! I'm all set! Thank you everyone again! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (5,438 Views)
0 Kudos