18 Apr 2012
By Goldjit

Goldjit

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Restoring my PS3 freezes at 49% Please help!

8 Replies 6,177 Views Created 18-04-2012

I have tried 3 times now to restore the data from my old PS3 hard drive (320gbs) to my new one (1tb).

In each time, it freezes at 49% stating it will take about 4 and half hours each time.

After the second time, I deduced the size of the data file (from 230gbs to 177gbs) as well as complelely redoing the back up process.

The back up process always completed without a problem.

My software is up-to-date and the 1tb harddrive is brand new and works fine.

Please help me, I've been doing this for 3 days in which the PS3 and HDD have been on all the time.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can complete the restoring process?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (6,177 Views)
0 Kudos
Goldjit
/16

Goldjit

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: Restoring my PS3 freezes at 49% Please help!

Sorry I forgot to say;

IF it comes to the solution that I have to download EVERYTHING again (please god no...), I will be able to download the PSN+ content that has been removed over the months? (Like the free Burnout PSN game from last summer or DLC for comes)

Once again, I only ask this IF it has to come down to it... oh God... 230gbs to download would take weeks...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (6,175 Views)
0 Kudos
DodgyDodge
/16

DodgyDodge

76%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

How long have you left it at 49%? mine took about 22 hours to restore just under 300GB and was stuck at 89% for at least 5 hours but I just left it and it all went fine eventualy.

I don't think the estamated time means anything 'cos it only said it would take about 6 hours when I started it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (6,152 Views)
0 Kudos
Goldjit
/16

Goldjit

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Each time had a overall timeframe that it would complete at. I waited:

First time: About 4 hours after completion.

Second time: About 2 hours after completion.

Third time: About the time it said it would complete.

I should point out that I did roam around my downloads and they always had the same imcomeplete file size. (So Burnout P would always be about 2.3gb everytime)

Plus, the harddrive I used to back up that data, has a light infront that flickers when it's in use. It stopped every time it got to 49%.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (6,149 Views)
0 Kudos
FooFan73
/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

To answer your other question about PS+:

As long as you 'purchased' the game, DLC, Avatar or theme during the month it was available on PS+ you can re-download it from your download history at a later date

Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (6,131 Views)
0 Kudos
BlueRaven
Beta Tester
/16

BlueRaven

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

When i restored mine it got stuck for AGES...We're talking hours on a certain percentage with nothing happening....It took over 30 hours to restore fully.....I'd restart it again and just forget about it for a day or so...As long as there's no error messages

addicted to PSV GD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (6,121 Views)
0 Kudos
Goldjit
/16

Goldjit

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

ok, I suppose I will let it run for a while then.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do. I'm completely in the blind here.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (6,114 Views)
0 Kudos
Goldjit
/16

Goldjit

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

IT WORKED! Seems it wasn't frozen at all just showing on screen as if it is. Sony should sort that out. Thank you to everyone that helped. Smiley Happy

Now... I have another problem.... My PSN+ content is locked and I think I know why. During my first attempt to restore the hard drive (the one that was incomplete but I still could use the PS3 normally), I activated the PS3 system from my account. At the time I believed everything was ok and I wanted to check on my PSN game data. 

It wasn't until after I activated it that I notice that the restoring was incomlete.

Anyway, I tried to activate my PS3 now but I still can't access my PSN+ games. Any idea on what I should do?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (6,100 Views)
0 Kudos
Goldjit
/16

Goldjit

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Never mind, it seems to be fine now. Can access everything. Weird.

ANYWAY!!!! I'm all set! Thank you everyone again! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (6,097 Views)
0 Kudos