13 Mar 2010
Playstation Staff

Screen goes black for a second

12 Replies 3,253 Views Created 13-03-2010

I got a Samsung full HD TV and a 80gig PS3,

I just got Final Fantasy which I think is the first 1080p game I have when I'm playing the screen goes black for a second every five mins or so (always during gameplay never a cut scene) any idea why?  this issue also occurs when watching up scalled DVDs on the PS3.

I have a HDMI version 1.3 cable that said it was compatible with PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (3,253 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Screen goes black for a second

this could (unfortunately) be either the PS3 - or the TV :smileysad:

only really way to know for sure is to hook your PS3 up to another TV (with the same lead, just to rule that in / out), and to hook another PS3 up to your TV :smileysad:

obviously it shouldn't be happening, but there is no way to know what of the 2 (3 if you include the lead) might be the cause :smileysad:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (3,219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Easier said then done :smileysad:

Don't have any other HDTV's and don't know anyone nearby with a PS3,  only thing I've found out is it's fine in every other resolution.

I have a Laptop with a HDMI connector I'll see about connecting that up at least that would eliminate one of the 3.

I replaced my getting on for 4 years old 360 resently with an Elite but 360's don't do 1080p do they not even the Elite?.

Thanks for the help at least I don't think it's FF  murdering my PS3 which I feared to start with, it's not the first time I've  had problems with HDMI, MGS4 kept having the sound cut off every few seconds and there was another game that did the black for a second every few mins thing (can't remember what it was it might have been MGS4 as well) I ended up buying a new cable which fixed it until now when I'm trying to play/watch things in full 1080p on the only full 1080p device I have.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (3,216 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I THINK that the 360 does 1080p, if only on the main menu thingy :smileyhappy:

but I'm not sure if that will reproduce your problem or not :smileysad:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (3,211 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I had the same issue with my TV where the screen would go black every now and then as if the TV was losing signal. Tried using different HDMI cables, all rather expensive ones and eventually after reading an article online tried a cheap £5 cable and voila, it fixed it. From what I can recall it was caused by copy protection similar to the old VCR macro encryption that scoots down via HDMI to the TV. Some TV's seem to be quite temperamental when it comes to coping with the signal and bingo the video or sound or both disappear. May not be the case but it's quite a common occurrence with HDMI apparently. I managed to test that theory by getting hold of an upscaling DVD player and connecting via the same cables and it had the exact same issue.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (3,202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Do you think the official PS3 cable will fix it?

I've already shelled out about £27 for two cables,  I know you said a five pound one worked do you remember the name/brand of that cable as I don't want to go out just randomly ending up with a massive collection of useless HDMI cables.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (3,196 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm experiencing the same thing. I have a 320gb Slim and a LG 46" LCD. The screen will go blank for a second or two after about 15-20 minutes of gameplay. Once it starts it will continue to go blank every minute or two. Also, once it starts during a game it continues on the XMB menu. I notice this only happens during some games and when upscaling DVDs when the PS3 is set to 1080p. Doesn't happen during BluRays in 1080p or if PS3 is set to 1080i.

The tried on my brother's Sony Bravia with all the same connections and settings. Issue doesn't happen! What the crap?! It pains me that it might be my TV, but there are so many inconsistencies. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (2,301 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

psychobudgie wrote:
I had the same issue with my TV where the screen would go black every now and then as if the TV was losing signal. .

Same here , it's only happened to me 7 or 8 times in a year so I can live with it, though it did happen twice in quick succession last week.

I have a Sony TV so you would think the 2 would be compatible, I would have thought a cable issue was the more likely.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (2,258 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

my samsung tv does the same. But only when using my ps3. not when watching cable. the samsung hotline was absolutely no help. read the manual cover to cover. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A SOLOUTION? The tv isnt cheap and one you samsung guys should know the answer. HELP PLEASE
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (1,168 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Hi guys,

I have escalated this issue for further investigation, actually some thing I have experienced my self at home but the screen goes snowy rather then black.  Only happens once or twice a month though and never during game play so not a big problem.

We may not get a response until after the new year so if any of you find a solution in the mean time please share it with us here.

As soon as I get a response I will update this thread.

Cheers,

SuperFastZombie

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (1,146 Views)
0 Kudos