02 Mar 2010
By: flux7 Member 181 Posts
Level 1

Streaming over wifi using Windows Media Player's media server kills wifi

7 Replies 2,025 Views Created 02-03-2010

I have had a problem for some time now, my PC, PS3, and wireless router are all in the same room, the PC is wired to the router, and PS3 is using wifi (as a cable would not be practical).

If I use the media sharing function in Windows Media Player (started on VISTA, same issue on Win7) and begin watching an AVI film on my PS3 via the share, it plays for maybe 30 minutes and then the wireless connection drops off, rebooting the PS3 brings it back up, I have also tried performing a 'copy' from the media share but that kills the wifi connection too.

I can only assume it can't handle converting the video over wifi?

Can anyone reccommend a better streaming solution or a way to convert the files on the PS3 then stream?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (2,025 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Streaming over wifi using Windows Media Player's media server kills wifi

[ Edited ]

hmmm, odd.

I'll try streaming an avi now and let you know the results to see if I'm also getting the problem...

Streaming Inglorious B*****ds .avi

I'll keep an eye on it

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (2,013 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I'd be interested in these results too as I had problems the other day with my first Slim console. I have a new one now but I have not set it up yet.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (2,007 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

Mobile Photo 2 Mar 2010 14 42 26.jpg

Right well, I'm not much help I'm afraid. Using a wifi connection from the PS3 to the router to test it and a wired connection from a PC to the router (running Win7) I received the error code: 80028801

Never tried streaming video before, only music so never encountered it before. I'll have a look to see what the error means. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

(Also this was about 15 minutes in, very odd...)

Okay... it seems it's an avi format error code. People are suggesting using a converter such as this one: http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

And people are reporting it working after...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (2,005 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

That's weird also, I read on a forum that it was possible to just change the file extension to .mpg and the ps3 will believe it's fine. So I just renamed the file with a .mpg at the end and i tried it and 50 minutes later it's still working. How that works I don't know tho.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (1,992 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Interesting you have the sameish problem PJB29, just gonig to try renaming and come back to you...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (1,986 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

PJB29 wrote:

That's weird also, I read on a forum that it was possible to just change the file extension to .mpg and the ps3 will believe it's fine. So I just renamed the file with a .mpg at the end and i tried it and 50 minutes later it's still working. How that works I don't know tho.

Tried this, copied to the PS3 ok, but now shows as 'Unsupported data', did you copy, or play? Will try RedKawa's converter...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (1,966 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

PJB29 wrote:

Right well, I'm not much help I'm afraid. Using a wifi connection from the PS3 to the router to test it and a wired connection from a PC to the router (running Win7) I received the error code: 80028801

Never tried streaming video before, only music so never encountered it before. I'll have a look to see what the error means. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

(Also this was about 15 minutes in, very odd...)

Okay... it seems it's an avi format error code. People are suggesting using a converter such as this one: http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

And people are reporting it working after...

RedKawa's converter takes, ages and after all that, it says its corrupted data on the PS3 but is fine on my PC, although tried another video, really small and works so will try again, maybe it doesn't like this video (Hurt Locker)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (1,967 Views)
0 Kudos