[EN] Archive

Technical Help

Technical Help

24 Aug 2011
By: broadack

2 Posts

The system software cannot be run correctly / HDD problems

4 Replies 1987 Views Created 24-08-2011

Recently my PS3 developed the ylod. It's worth pointing out that about a year or so ago i switched out the 60gb HDD for a 500gb HDD, encountering no problems. 

I managed to use a hairdryer to the back of my ylod PS3 to hang on long enough to perform a back up to an other external drive i have.

So at the start of the week I bought a new 160gb PS3, with the plan being that i would swap out the 160gb HDD, swap in the 500GB HDD and then restore it using the back up data. 

Now when i formatted my 500gb HDD (in FAT32) and popped it in my new PS3, i was given a grey screen and the instruction to plug in a controller and press the PS button. This then took me to a message which reads;

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard drive must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.70 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain data, refer to the SCE Website for you region"

I have downloaded update version 3.70 (under the folders PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDAT.PUP), put it on a flash drive and pressed select and the PS button as instructed. The system restarts and i am left with the message;

"Cannot start. 

The correct hard disk was not found"

Now i have popped my 160gb HDD that came with my new ps3 and i get the "The system software cannot be run correctly..." message. When i press select and the PS button, the restart takes me to the connect ps3 controller, and just continues on a loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (1,987 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: The system software cannot be run correctly / HDD problems

[ Edited ]

A few other people are reporting this too.

3.70 is severely buggy and I'm presuming this is the same thing that happened when 3.56 was released.

Once the new firmware is released - which I have no idea when this will be - I presume the new firmware will allow the HDD change. However, you will need the original drive in the console in order to update the firmware when they release it. This is what happened to me earlier this year.

I may be wrong, I'm just saying what happened to me.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (1,983 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Contact sony customer services

Its 0844 736 0595 for the UK

For other places see:
http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Contact-Us-Playstation-Support-Number/m-p/...

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (1,976 Views)
0 Kudos

Ta.

I've just tried the 500gb HDD in the ylod PS3. It asked me to reformat it (which i did) and upon restart..worked!

I excitedly popped the HDD out and back in my new PS3 for it to.....not work! Same messages.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (1,965 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Hiya, some of the information here is wrong.

When you put a new hard drive into the ps3 you need to have the latest software on a USB device and reinstall after formatting. It HAS to be done in the same ps3, when the ps3 formats the hard drive it codes the drive for that console only and cannot be worked in any other console without being formatted.

I agree that the lastest firmware is buggy but its not this that will stop it working.

1. Put new HDD in PS3 you want it in.

2. Format when asked to.

3. Install lastest firmware from USB device. (Take a look at the Sony website to download it)

4. After installation the PS3 should work and you just need to download everything again.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (1,948 Views)
0 Kudos