22 Jan 2011
By mnccouk
Playstation Staff

Transfering game data to another ps3???

[ Edited ]
8 Replies 1,201 Views edited 22-01-2011

I was playing GT5 last night when for some reason the ps3 stopped reading the GT5 disk. I'd just finished a race instead of the game taking me to the next screen the car continued to drive round the track.

I could here the blueray drive making a repetitive sound as it attempted to read the disk. At this point I powered the console down and restarted.

The game didn't appear in the menu and again a could hear the drive making a repetitive reading sound, eventually it just gives up.

I've another game with the same result.

We've only had the ps3 since Christmas(not even a month) so I'm thinking of getting it exchanged for a new one.

The problem is with the game data, I've spent many hours doing licenses and working through the game and would really like to get this transfered accross to the new console.

I've seen posts about backing up and restoring the data to the same console and some other posts about copy protection being removed from GT5 in a recent patch.

But no definitive guide to backup the data from one machine to another.

Is it a matter of backing up the data of the system using the backup utility from my current ps3, using external HD and restoring it one the new one?

Or do I have to do this process over an ethernet cable?

Has anybody done this before?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (1,201 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Transfering game data to another ps3???

just came across this,
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/linked224960/item250047/Use-the-data-transfer-u...

This is going to be a bit of a problem as I'll need to do this at tesco when exchanging consoles
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (1,192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

If you can temporarily have the replacement PS3, while still retaining the current PS3, you can use the data transfer method via ethernet cable. Everything should be transferred intact. This is the only method that preserves copy protected saves from one PS3 to another.

Backup on one console and restore to another loses copy protected saves. As you say GT5 is no longer protected so your best choice really depends on what other data you have on the PS3.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (1,188 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

mnccouk wrote:
just came across this,
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/linked224960/item250047/Use-the-data-transfer-u...

This is going to be a bit of a problem as I'll need to do this at tesco when exchanging consoles

Depending on how much data you have this process can take a very long time. Someone did this over Xmas and it took 3 days.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (1,186 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I've done this 3 or 4 times now, for various reasons.
Typically a fairly full 60Gb drive will take about 5 hours to transfer.

But it does indeed require having both PS3s at the same time - generally not an option when returning one as faulty.

Your only other options are to do either a full system backup to external (FAT32 formatted) HDD, or individual game saves backed up to a (FAT32 formatted) USB stick.
Both will only work for non-copy protected saves.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (1,171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I'm doing a backup, using phone as a backup device, total space reported by the ps3 was 11GB, The only game data I have on the ps3 is my son's toy story 3 and my GT5, as long as these get backed up and are able to copy these across then problem solved.
The whole process over usb is reported to be taking a little over 15 hrs.

\I'll be happy with doing this way if I can be sure the game data will be retained. This way I can just exchange the consoles, then restore the data.
I dont want to find out after restoring the data the game data is not taken across due to copy protection.

Is there a way to find out what data is and isn't copy protected?
looks like GT5 will be OK using the temp backup method what about toy story 3?

thanks for the replies

thanks for your replies
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (1,160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

If you've only got those 2 games, personally I'd go down the route of individual game save backups - not sure what the other 10.5ish Gb of data is that it is trying to back up!

Doing individual backups will also tell you if the saves are copy protected or not.
A full backup will backup copy protected ones - but then not restore them (to a different PS3 - it will restore to the same PS3 but that is moot for you here).
Individual backups will only backup non copy protected ones.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (1,147 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Before anything went wrong with the ps3 I made a backup of just the GT5 game data. Trying to see if I could use this data with another local user I tried to restore the saved data under a differrent user.

Sure enough the data restored under a different user, but when starting GT5 it detected the game data was originally creted by a different user and only gave me an option to wipe that data before I can continue.

This raises the question: Can I restore the GT5 data onto a different console when I would have had to create new users on the new ps3? Sure I would create the users with the same name but is that good enough to convince GT5, does the ps3 use some other unique value to id a user behind the scenes?

Easy to test if two consoles are available.

Looking at the size of just the game data for GT5 it's hard to belive that all the gamedata is included. I have quite a few replays recorded in my GT5 profile, the backup only comes to around 450Kb

My son also has taken photo's in GT5 and his game data is roughly the same size, those photo's can't be included in the gamedata backup, the size of the backup file is just not large enough. Not unless sony has developed some mega photo compression code.

Both toy story ang GT5 game data are available to copy so it should be copied over to the new system on a full backup.

All things considered I'll continue on the route of a full backup and restore, I'll post the result of the outcome in this thread, I just hope it works.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (1,132 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Got the ps3 exchanged today.

Used the backup file to restore the system, which took all of 30 seconds, it must have skipped a wedge of data as it took about 17hrs to backup (11Gb).

GT5 restored with games progress data, garage etc.. OK, lost all recorded replays and photo's.
Toy Story 3 - restored game data with no known problems

Shame about the GT5 replays and photo's but still happy with being able to restore the games progress.

Lets see how long this one will last???
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,038 Views)
0 Kudos