Technical Help

28 Jul 2010
By: Jasperskies Member 6 Posts
Level 1
Accepted Solution

Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

57 Replies 1954 Views Created 28-07-2010

Hi guys

Sorry to add yet another update complaint, but my problem is caused by trying to put a new hard drive into my ps3, and I couldn't find it in troubleshooting.

I've had a regular 40 gb ps3 for over a year now and decided to put in a newer, bigger 250gb hard drive so I could store more media. But I made the mistake of doing this today, and it turns out there's a problem with 3.41. After backing up all of my data and putting in the new hard drive, I plug in a flash drive with the 3.41 update data on it in a PS3/UPDATE folder just like it asks, but when it tries to install the system update so I can get around to  using my new hard drive, it always stops at around 50%.

This problem does not seem to be unique to me either judging from this thread I found:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Problem-installing-firmware-3-41-after-new-...

I tried phoning technical support, but they had no idea what to do either and were pretty useless I'm sorry to say :smileysad:. And I can't seem to use this new hard drive in the PS3 until the update is installed. Downloading the update file from other sources or putting it on different storage media doesn't help either, so I suspect it's a problem with the update itself. Please advise if you can, if not then I may just have to leave it until another update comes out and try again.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 58 (1,954 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

Sounds like a bad download file. Perhaps try downloading the firmware again. I notice that the main download site has not long updated its references to 3.41, earlier today it was refering to 3.4.

Best of luck

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 58 (1,939 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

What happens if you put the old drive in and do the update?

If it works, THEN replace the drive :smileyhappy:

I've been swapping hdds between several ps3s this week (all various phats) and despite the obvious forced formats each time, I haven't needed to install firmware from USB.

This was all finished by Monday tho, so 3.41 wasn't in the mix

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 58 (1,938 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

OMG, i have E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same problem. I tried to put the old HD too, but happens the same, error while updating.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 58 (1,939 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Yeah the problem is that the 3.41 update worked fine on my old ps3 hard drive but the difference was that I think that used the 40mb patch version of 3.41 since I was just upgrading from 3.40, not the full system update version which is 167mb. That seems to be the one that doesn't work, but that's the one I HAVE to apply to the new hard drive :smileysad: this is such a pain.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 58 (1,867 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Another one here too... Exactly the same issue.

Firmware downloaded to computer, transferred to USB hard drive (formatted to Fat32). Firmware install won't work.

Sony blaming the fault on "user error" and saying to the hundreds of people this has affected "this hasn't affected anyone else - it's not a firmware problem"... Yeah, look for the fault there in that yourself.

Please Sony, can we have a new firmware update THAT WORKS!!!?

Oh, and some acknowledgement it's a fault would be nice too... :smileywink:

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 58 (1,865 Views)
0 Kudos

don't always believe the stories of firmware's breaking consoles, but 3.41 definately has some issues.

I don't think the problem with ours is the firmware, but I do believe I cannot re install the firmware is something to do with it.

I'm hoping this is a quick fix, but somehow doubt Sony will accept any liability... ever!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 58 (1,857 Views)
0 Kudos

Same problem here!

I had trouble a few days ago with update 3.41 but eventually got it working on my PS3 40GB. I got my new HDD today, replaced it, downloaded the software (167MB) update to my USB (saved it under E:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP) and it gets to 50% software install and then tells me it cant find appropriate software update.

I plug my 40GB HDD back in.....all sweet! But thats not the point! I bought a bigger HDD for a reason but can't get it to work!!

Has anyone got an idea yet?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 58 (1,851 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

Is there any way to just completely flash the ps3 itself, so it doesn't request the 3.41 update upon putting a new hard drive? For example, could putting my old hard drive back in and doing a system restore work I wonder?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 58 (1,835 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

If we don't want to wait 2 months to the next firmware, i think we have to make some NOISE
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 58 (1,830 Views)
0 Kudos