Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

57 Replies 2,135 Views Created 28-07-2010

Hi guys

Sorry to add yet another update complaint, but my problem is caused by trying to put a new hard drive into my ps3, and I couldn't find it in troubleshooting.

I've had a regular 40 gb ps3 for over a year now and decided to put in a newer, bigger 250gb hard drive so I could store more media. But I made the mistake of doing this today, and it turns out there's a problem with 3.41. After backing up all of my data and putting in the new hard drive, I plug in a flash drive with the 3.41 update data on it in a PS3/UPDATE folder just like it asks, but when it tries to install the system update so I can get around to  using my new hard drive, it always stops at around 50%.

This problem does not seem to be unique to me either judging from this thread I found:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Problem-installing-firmware-3-41-after-new-...

I tried phoning technical support, but they had no idea what to do either and were pretty useless I'm sorry to say :(. And I can't seem to use this new hard drive in the PS3 until the update is installed. Downloading the update file from other sources or putting it on different storage media doesn't help either, so I suspect it's a problem with the update itself. Please advise if you can, if not then I may just have to leave it until another update comes out and try again.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

NurbFurble

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NurbFurble
Accepted Solution

Hi folks,

As some of you have mentioned this issue has now been resolved.  More details can be found on the Offical PlayStation Blog.

Thanks for you patience.

NF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

Sounds like a bad download file. Perhaps try downloading the firmware again. I notice that the main download site has not long updated its references to 3.41, earlier today it was refering to 3.4.

Best of luck

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
What happens if you put the old drive in and do the update?

If it works, THEN replace the drive :)

I've been swapping hdds between several ps3s this week (all various phats) and despite the obvious forced formats each time, I haven't needed to install firmware from USB.

This was all finished by Monday tho, so 3.41 wasn't in the mix
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

kosovito

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kosovito
Accepted Solution

OMG, i have E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same problem. I tried to put the old HD too, but happens the same, error while updating.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Jasperskies

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jasperskies
Accepted Solution

Yeah the problem is that the 3.41 update worked fine on my old ps3 hard drive but the difference was that I think that used the 40mb patch version of 3.41 since I was just upgrading from 3.40, not the full system update version which is 167mb. That seems to be the one that doesn't work, but that's the one I HAVE to apply to the new hard drive :( this is such a pain.

0 Kudos

/16

Furiekins

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Furiekins
Accepted Solution

Another one here too... Exactly the same issue.

Firmware downloaded to computer, transferred to USB hard drive (formatted to Fat32). Firmware install won't work.

Sony blaming the fault on "user error" and saying to the hundreds of people this has affected "this hasn't affected anyone else - it's not a firmware problem"... Yeah, look for the fault there in that yourself.

Please Sony, can we have a new firmware update THAT WORKS!!!?

Oh, and some acknowledgement it's a fault would be nice too... ;)

0 Kudos

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)
/16

Bippym

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bippym
Accepted Solution

don't always believe the stories of firmware's breaking consoles, but 3.41 definately has some issues.

I don't think the problem with ours is the firmware, but I do believe I cannot re install the firmware is something to do with it.

I'm hoping this is a quick fix, but somehow doubt Sony will accept any liability... ever!!!

0 Kudos

/16

neoluc

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
neoluc
Accepted Solution

Same problem here!

I had trouble a few days ago with update 3.41 but eventually got it working on my PS3 40GB. I got my new HDD today, replaced it, downloaded the software (167MB) update to my USB (saved it under E:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP) and it gets to 50% software install and then tells me it cant find appropriate software update.

I plug my 40GB HDD back in.....all sweet! But thats not the point! I bought a bigger HDD for a reason but can't get it to work!!

Has anyone got an idea yet?

0 Kudos

/16

Jasperskies

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jasperskies
Accepted Solution

Is there any way to just completely flash the ps3 itself, so it doesn't request the 3.41 update upon putting a new hard drive? For example, could putting my old hard drive back in and doing a system restore work I wonder?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

kosovito

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kosovito
Accepted Solution
If we don't want to wait 2 months to the next firmware, i think we have to make some NOISE
0 Kudos

/16

djjOe1996

58%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
djjOe1996
Accepted Solution

kosovito schrieb:
If we don't want to wait 2 months to the next firmware, i think we have to make some NOISE

They do not hear the noice. i called the support 2 times and every time they said it is not the fw its the hard drive -.- i have to format it but i format my  WD Scorpio Blue (WD2500BEVT) over 5 times

0 Kudos

/16

bible-man

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bible-man
Accepted Solution

Jasperskies wrote:

Hi guys

Sorry to add yet another update complaint, but my problem is caused by trying to put a new hard drive into my ps3, and I couldn't find it in troubleshooting.

I've had a regular 40 gb ps3 for over a year now and decided to put in a newer, bigger 250gb hard drive so I could store more media. But I made the mistake of doing this today, and it turns out there's a problem with 3.41. After backing up all of my data and putting in the new hard drive, I plug in a flash drive with the 3.41 update data on it in a PS3/UPDATE folder just like it asks, but when it tries to install the system update so I can get around to  using my new hard drive, it always stops at around 50%.

This problem does not seem to be unique to me either judging from this thread I found:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Problem-installing-firmware-3-41-after-new-...

I tried phoning technical support, but they had no idea what to do either and were pretty useless I'm sorry to say :(. And I can't seem to use this new hard drive in the PS3 until the update is installed. Downloading the update file from other sources or putting it on different storage media doesn't help either, so I suspect it's a problem with the update itself. Please advise if you can, if not then I may just have to leave it until another update comes out and try again.

Dont know if I was just lucky but when I upgraded my 40gig I didnt need to update the firmware. It was already there even after the hard drive was formatted.  

I dont know much about this though, so what does it say when you just put the HDD in and start it up? Can you get to xmb and update that way? just a suggestion :)

0 Kudos

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

Jasperskies wrote:

Did you format the drive on a PC? if not have you formatted via the PS3? Was it already formatted? Format the new drive FAT32 NOT NTFS, and redownload the firmware update and try again.

0 Kudos

/16

Branxor

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Branxor
Accepted Solution

i also have the same problem! It doesnt work, ive formated the hdd on my pc fat32 and it still dont work

SONY WE NEED A NEW FIRMWARE!! AND NOT IN 2 MONTHS WE NEED IT NOW!!!

0 Kudos

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

Branxor wrote:

i also have the same problem! It doesnt work, ive formated the hdd on my pc fat32 and it still dont work

SONY WE NEED A NEW FIRMWARE!! AND NOT IN 2 MONTHS WE NEED IT NOW!!!

Have you re-downloaded the firmware update? That is the full version from the website.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

divine1000

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
divine1000
Accepted Solution

I'm getting the same problem. Updating a new 250GB Slim with a Seagate 500GB. The installation's reaching around 50% then defaulting to the 'No applicable update data was found' screen. I've done this process a few times previously with no issues. I've tried 2 different types of storage media & also fully re-formatted them before use. Definite issues here!!!

Gonna put the old HDD back in now, back it up to storage media, reinstall the new drive & try & install from a backup instead. I'll post how I get on later.

Could really do without the hassle, I lost 3.5 years of gamesaves last week when my launch 60GB Phatty went YLOD.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

divine1000

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
divine1000
Accepted Solution

Installing from a backup didn't work, I think they only store user data, not OS data. looks like I'm stuck with the250GB for the time being.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

pkcan30

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pkcan30
Accepted Solution

Yep! Same problem here. Get to 50% and then off. I have now spent over £750.00 on the PS3 consuls, not sure if I have done the right thing getting this new one last week.

TRY GETTING IT TOGETHER SONY.

0 Kudos

pkcan30
/16

Jasperskies

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jasperskies
Accepted Solution

If it helps, I've been told that only PS3 models CECHH (40GB) and onwards have this problem, since the older models didn't require these latest system updates when putting in new hard drives.

I've tried phoning and emailing tech support, and the response is always something like "bad internet download", "your brand new, perfectly fine hard drive is broken" and "we've not heard anything about this from any other customers" despite so many people having this problem. Bad form, Sony, Bad form.

Also, it doesn't seem that putting in the old hard drive and attempting a system restore first helps either, but I haven't tried everything just yet.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

divine1000

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
divine1000
Accepted Solution

Jasperskies wrote:

I've tried phoning and emailing tech support, and the response is always something like "bad internet download", "your brand new, perfectly fine hard drive is broken" and "we've not heard anything about this from any other customers" despite so many people having this problem. Bad form, Sony, Bad form.

I've sent a mod a link to this thread. Hopefully the tech dept. will take notice and we'll hear something soon. The problem is, upgrading the PS3's HDD isn't something people do every day, so it may take a while to become apparent how widespread this problem is.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

divine1000

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
divine1000
Accepted Solution

Hmm, I guess people experiencing this problem should record what hardware they have been using to help isolate the issue...

PlayStation 3 Model: CECH-2003B

Hard Drive: Seagate Momentus 500GB

Storage Media: SONY 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duo & SONY MSRW-MD1 Adapter

There are others experiencing this issue also, here is a thread on the US forums reporting the same issues:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Updates/Upgrading-Harddrive-need-3-41/td-p/45984903...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel