Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

57 Replies 2,126 Views Created 28-07-2010

Hi guys

Sorry to add yet another update complaint, but my problem is caused by trying to put a new hard drive into my ps3, and I couldn't find it in troubleshooting.

I've had a regular 40 gb ps3 for over a year now and decided to put in a newer, bigger 250gb hard drive so I could store more media. But I made the mistake of doing this today, and it turns out there's a problem with 3.41. After backing up all of my data and putting in the new hard drive, I plug in a flash drive with the 3.41 update data on it in a PS3/UPDATE folder just like it asks, but when it tries to install the system update so I can get around to  using my new hard drive, it always stops at around 50%.

This problem does not seem to be unique to me either judging from this thread I found:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Problem-installing-firmware-3-41-after-new-...

I tried phoning technical support, but they had no idea what to do either and were pretty useless I'm sorry to say :(. And I can't seem to use this new hard drive in the PS3 until the update is installed. Downloading the update file from other sources or putting it on different storage media doesn't help either, so I suspect it's a problem with the update itself. Please advise if you can, if not then I may just have to leave it until another update comes out and try again.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

NurbFurble

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NurbFurble
Accepted Solution

Hi folks,

As some of you have mentioned this issue has now been resolved.  More details can be found on the Offical PlayStation Blog.

Thanks for you patience.

NF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

/16

Trashmere

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Trashmere
Accepted Solution
Keep the good work up, sooner or later Sony will have to open their eyes. This is a ludicrous problem and most frustrating. I am using a Scorpio 500GB drive (PS3 Compatible) and an 80GB PS3. I have the same problem with update not being recognised on any of the 3 flash USB sticks or a DVD.
0 Kudos

/16

knot2bright

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
knot2bright
Accepted Solution

I to have encountered this issue upgrading a 40GB to a 500GB. However when I tried the same upgrade on a 60GB with the very same HDD I encountered no problems. The 60GB asked to format then informed me it was loading the system software, NOT from a USB stick as it was not conected. All went as it should, it re booted and hay presto there was my new 500GB HDD. I then tried again with the 40GB with the HDD just used in the 60GB but same issue. You gotta love the 60GB.

0 Kudos

/16

robgwilliams

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
robgwilliams
Accepted Solution
Yesterday i received my new Western digital 500gb HDD, and took out my 40gb HDD. I too keep getting the same messages. I formatted my 8gb USB stick, and it gets to 48% My wife then suggetsed using a brand new 2gb SC card that i ahve in my office, so i formatted and downloaded the 3.41 and that got to 88%. I have swapped them that many times its getting annoying now. The 3.41 worked perfect on my 40gb drive, but wont have it on the 500gb HDD. My PS3 is the CECHH03 Ive just joined the playstation plus scheme and cant download any free games as my HDD has no room, hence the 500gb, what a waste of money that membership could end up.
0 Kudos

/16

Jasperskies

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jasperskies
Accepted Solution

My PS3 is a basic 40GB UK PAL model, and I'm attempting to upgrade using a Scorpio 250gb hard drive, in case the tech guys are interested :p

I hope this gets noticed and resolved ASAP.

0 Kudos

/16

Branxor

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Branxor
Accepted Solution

PLEASE SONY! PLEASE FIX IT SOON :(

0 Kudos

/16

MajorSheppard

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MajorSheppard
Accepted Solution

I'm having the same problem, although mine came about a different way. Was plaing on Uncharted 2 when it decided to crash (the PS button and the power button wouldnt respond). So i decided to use the switch on the back, then started it up again and got welcomed with the corrupt message. It then attempted to repair it but told me i would need to format, so i did.

After the formatting i revived the 'No applicable update data' message, so i then downloaded the 3.41 update from the official site, put it on my memory stick (PS3/UPDATE/, and made sure it was in fat32 format). Plugged the usb stick into the PS3 and did the 'hold start and select' thing. It then goes to the 'checking' screen and then tells me its preparing for update, goes all the way through and then goes back to the 'No applicable update data' screen. Still asking for the 3.41 update data.

I have tried 3 different usb sticks, each formatted to fat32 and I've tried to cd-r's, none of them work, all do the same thing. 

I've been using my upgraded 250gb Seagate drive since i got my new PS3 (this is my second one),  i had no problem installing it the first time. I've also tried putting my original 60gb drive back in, but it does the same thing. 

I was planning on sending it to Sony, as its still a few months inside the warranty, but I'm not sure if i can now if there not even accepting that this is a problem. 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

divine1000

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
divine1000
Accepted Solution

If anyone experiencing problems currently has FW 3.40 installed on their console. The issue can be remedied by installing your new HDD, downloading & installing 3.40 from here. Then updating to 3.41 by System Update on the XMB.

This will not work if your current FW is already 3.41!

0 Kudos

/16

MajorSheppard

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MajorSheppard
Accepted Solution

Sadly I'm already running 3.41, just got to hope that Sony fix it soon.

0 Kudos

/16

Furiekins

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Furiekins
Accepted Solution

Are Sony still in denial about this? Is it still "user error"? Is it still "despite the hundreds/thousands of people posting on message boards around the world with this issue, we've never seen it before"?

Just a "Sorry guys, there's a problem, we're worknig on a solution" message would be nice Sony.

As it stands, I'm sitting with a PS3 unused waiting for the hard disk to upgrade. I can't buy anything else from the store, not enough room on my old drive.

Earlier in the week, I was going to buy stuff off the store. It's the weekend now, so all my pennies can go towards beer instead to ease my frustration. Of course, if I had some acknowledgement of the problem and a rough idea of a resolution - I'd save my money to spend with Sony.

Well, trying to hit them in the software sales pocket is worth a shot ;)

0 Kudos

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)
/16

Trashmere

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Trashmere
Accepted Solution

I just read on the web through a computer online mag that Sony have now admitted there is a problem and are "working on a solution". Progress to some degree. Now we just have to play the waiting game but its a step in the right direction at least.:ScaredPumpkin:

0 Kudos

/16

BeeZNeeZ-007

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BeeZNeeZ-007
Accepted Solution

@ Trashmere

you happen to have the link where sony has admitted that there is a problem and that they are working on it.  I would love to share it with a few of the other boards that I am following on this issue.

0 Kudos

/16

wix77

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wix77
Accepted Solution

THE NEW UPDATE (3.41) HAS KILLED MY PS3:

TaurusInSC wrote:

I have the same model PS3 and had the same thing happen to me tonight while playing MAG. The unit stopped and powered down with a flashing light. I tried to turn it on and the light goes to green, then yellow, beeps twice and returns to a red flashing light. FUBAR! I think Sony needs to look into this -  it's happening all over right now -  epidemic Bro.

I have a 60 Gig PS3 and the exact same thing happened to me while playing UFC 2010 after 3 mins of play.  FUBAR exactly!  It is an epidemic from the other forums I've read...  YOU BETTER FIX THIS SONY. 

0 Kudos

/16

robgwilliams

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
robgwilliams
Accepted Solution
After putting a search into google and coming up with other forums, Sony are saying its nothing to do with the update, and that it is faulty HDDs. Well how come so many people are having same problems and using different makes and sizes of HDD?? Ive read on another forum: The only way I been able fix the problem so far is to go into recovery menu using the owner's current original HDD, and pick "Restore PS3 System", which of course does a full reset, and format of HDD, and then set the date/time, username, internet settings, and do the update right away. anyone want to try and report back? I might have a try myself sometime later if i get time, or if not then tomorrow Good luck guys
0 Kudos

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

Have you guys tried the fix as listed elsewhere in this forum? that is , format new HDD using SwissKnife, Acronis true image or any other fat32 compliant formater on a PC(need to caddy up the drive). Download full OS from Sony website, then install drive and OS as usual.

This has worked for several people.

0 Kudos

/16

MajorSheppard

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MajorSheppard
Accepted Solution

I tried that yesterday, formatted using my computer to FAT32, put it back in PS3, it then formatted it as it should, and then kept asking for 3.14 data. Still wouldn't find it on my usb tick.

0 Kudos

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

MajorSheppard wrote:

I tried that yesterday, formatted using my computer to FAT32, put it back in PS3, it then formatted it as it should, and then kept asking for 3.14 data. Still wouldn't find it on my usb tick.

You dont format it again in the PS3, you only need to do it at the PC. PS3s use FAT32.

Dont forget your stick needs to be FAT32 as well or the PS3 wont even see it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

MajorSheppard

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MajorSheppard
Accepted Solution

The PS3 automatically does it again, just loads up telling me it needs to be formatted. I'll see if it does the same thing when going straight to the install option on the safe mode screen. My memory stick is definitely FAT32, and the PUP file is in the correct folder (PS3/UPDATE). I'll post again if i have any luck, or not.

0 Kudos

/16

robgwilliams

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
robgwilliams
Accepted Solution
How do you format HDD on laptop?? i cant work out how to connect it to my laptop?
0 Kudos

/16

Velox_Telum

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Velox_Telum
Accepted Solution

robgwilliams wrote:
How do you format HDD on laptop?? i cant work out how to connect it to my laptop?

You need to place the drive in the appropriate caddy, then normally connect with USB.

Sorry about the double post

0 Kudos

/16

Trashmere

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Trashmere
Accepted Solution

Sorry but I have been surfing for last 4 days and now cant find original link. However, I seem to remember it was Sony in the states that made the comment, seems they too have exactly the same problem! I will post more as I hear of any updates (pardon the pun!)

0 Kudos

/16

MajorSheppard

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MajorSheppard
Accepted Solution

Would you happen to have a link to it? I certainly hope its true, but unfortunately all i can find so far is articles about Sony saying its nothing to do with their firmware.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel