Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Unable to put in new hard drive after update 3.41

Jasperskies wrote:

Hi guys

Sorry to add yet another update complaint, but my problem is caused by trying to put a new hard drive into my ps3, and I couldn't find it in troubleshooting.

I've had a regular 40 gb ps3 for over a year now and decided to put in a newer, bigger 250gb hard drive so I could store more media. But I made the mistake of doing this today, and it turns out there's a problem with 3.41. After backing up all of my data and putting in the new hard drive, I plug in a flash drive with the 3.41 update data on it in a PS3/UPDATE folder just like it asks, but when it tries to install the system update so I can get around to  using my new hard drive, it always stops at around 50%.

This problem does not seem to be unique to me either judging from this thread I found:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Problem-installing-firmware-3-41-after-new-...

I tried phoning technical support, but they had no idea what to do either and were pretty useless I'm sorry to say :smileysad:. And I can't seem to use this new hard drive in the PS3 until the update is installed. Downloading the update file from other sources or putting it on different storage media doesn't help either, so I suspect it's a problem with the update itself. Please advise if you can, if not then I may just have to leave it until another update comes out and try again.

Dont know if I was just lucky but when I upgraded my 40gig I didnt need to update the firmware. It was already there even after the hard drive was formatted.  

I dont know much about this though, so what does it say when you just put the HDD in and start it up? Can you get to xmb and update that way? just a suggestion :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 58 (845 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

kosovito schrieb:
If we don't want to wait 2 months to the next firmware, i think we have to make some NOISE

They do not hear the noice. i called the support 2 times and every time they said it is not the fw its the hard drive -.- i have to format it but i format my  WD Scorpio Blue (WD2500BEVT) over 5 times

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 58 (844 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Jasperskies wrote:

I've had a regular 40 gb ps3 for over a year now and decided to put in a newer, bigger 250gb hard drive so I could store more media. But I made the mistake of doing this today, and it turns out there's a problem with 3.41. After backing up all of my data and putting in the new hard drive, I plug in a flash drive with the 3.41 update data on it in a PS3/UPDATE folder just like it asks, but when it tries to install the system update so I can get around to  using my new hard drive, it always stops at around 50%.

Did you format the drive on a PC? if not have you formatted via the PS3? Was it already formatted? Format the new drive FAT32 NOT NTFS, and redownload the firmware update and try again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 58 (820 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i also have the same problem! It doesnt work, ive formated the hdd on my pc fat32 and it still dont work

SONY WE NEED A NEW FIRMWARE!! AND NOT IN 2 MONTHS WE NEED IT NOW!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 58 (806 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Branxor wrote:

i also have the same problem! It doesnt work, ive formated the hdd on my pc fat32 and it still dont work

SONY WE NEED A NEW FIRMWARE!! AND NOT IN 2 MONTHS WE NEED IT NOW!!!

Have you re-downloaded the firmware update? That is the full version from the website.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 58 (805 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yep! Same problem here. Get to 50% and then off. I have now spent over £750.00 on the PS3 consuls, not sure if I have done the right thing getting this new one last week.

TRY GETTING IT TOGETHER SONY.

pkcan30
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 58 (787 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm getting the same problem. Updating a new 250GB Slim with a Seagate 500GB. The installation's reaching around 50% then defaulting to the 'No applicable update data was found' screen. I've done this process a few times previously with no issues. I've tried 2 different types of storage media & also fully re-formatted them before use. Definite issues here!!!

Gonna put the old HDD back in now, back it up to storage media, reinstall the new drive & try & install from a backup instead. I'll post how I get on later.

Could really do without the hassle, I lost 3.5 years of gamesaves last week when my launch 60GB Phatty went YLOD.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 58 (793 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Installing from a backup didn't work, I think they only store user data, not OS data. looks like I'm stuck with the250GB for the time being.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 58 (789 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

If it helps, I've been told that only PS3 models CECHH (40GB) and onwards have this problem, since the older models didn't require these latest system updates when putting in new hard drives.

I've tried phoning and emailing tech support, and the response is always something like "bad internet download", "your brand new, perfectly fine hard drive is broken" and "we've not heard anything about this from any other customers" despite so many people having this problem. Bad form, Sony, Bad form.

Also, it doesn't seem that putting in the old hard drive and attempting a system restore first helps either, but I haven't tried everything just yet.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 58 (803 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Jasperskies wrote:

I've tried phoning and emailing tech support, and the response is always something like "bad internet download", "your brand new, perfectly fine hard drive is broken" and "we've not heard anything about this from any other customers" despite so many people having this problem. Bad form, Sony, Bad form.

I've sent a mod a link to this thread. Hopefully the tech dept. will take notice and we'll hear something soon. The problem is, upgrading the PS3's HDD isn't something people do every day, so it may take a while to become apparent how widespread this problem is.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 58 (798 Views)
0 Kudos