28 Jan 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Whats wrong with my PS3?

6 Replies 297 Views Created 28-01-2012

So my 40gb fat ps3 started YLODing about 3 or 4 months ago. I bought it 2nd hand about 4yrs ago, its a 2007 model, so 5 yrs old. I've had lots of good use out of it and never had a problem until now.

Since im a noob when it comes to modding, I took it to someone offering YLOD repairs for a reasonable price. They opened it up and reapplied thermal paste, which is the common repair for this I believe. It worked again for maybe a week then it started turning off spontaneously (something it never did before). I took it back to the people who did the repair for me and they advised I went for a custom fan mod with an external dial to control the fan speed. I did this and have had nothing but grief since it got back. Not only is it YLODing regularly again but it seems to be turning off even more frequently now, Im lucky to get 5min straight play out of it at the moment. I understand that the fan is drawing power from the ps3 so having it set too high could be causing it to shut down because of lack of power to other parts; but I have tried it with the fan on every setting and no joy. The people who did the repair have given me a 6 month warranty so I will be taking it back there most likely but now I am paranoid that they have no idea what they are doing :/ 
I somehow doubt that the issue is actually overheating because I keep it in an open spaceous area, regularly dust it etc and its barely even running before shutting off. Should I demand my money back from these people?

Would appreciate some advice from anyone who knows about ps3 modding... Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (297 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Whats wrong with my PS3?

The custom fan strikes me as a little pointless - the PS3 fans are perfectly ok, it's just that YLOD is an inherent problem with the older fat PS3 models.

They might well have repaired it as far as possible, but with a PS3 after YLOD it's usually only a matter of time before it fails again. Seeing as you've got your warranty, you might as well take it back and get it fixed again, but I wouldn't see it as a permanent solution :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (293 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the quick response. I heard that you can send it in to sony and get it refurbished/replaced with a slim for a price. Do I no longer have this option if the warranty is up and I have taken it to a third party repair place? I know some people on the forums have complained saying that it costs a fortune and would be cheaper to just buy a new slim? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (289 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

try professionally replacing the solder (reballing) or selling for parts and buying brand new - the sony route is expensive and can be a treadmill
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (278 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

theJBomb1987 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. I heard that you can send it in to sony and get it refurbished/replaced with a slim for a price. Do I no longer have this option if the warranty is up and I have taken it to a third party repair place? I know some people on the forums have complained saying that it costs a fortune and would be cheaper to just buy a new slim? 

You should be able to send it to Sony and they'll send you an equivalent refurbished console, usually for £110 (I've heard them charge less when people kick off about the Sale of Goods Act :smileyvery-happy:).

Personally, I'd go for a new slim - you can pick one up for around £190 and you're getting a new, quieter, smaller and more reliable console.

If you want to contact Sony to see what they'll offer you/have any other ideas, the details are:

0844 736 0595
help@uk.playstation.com

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (275 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

thanks I will try contact sony and see what they say. Im actually in South Africa but I have a number for them here. I foresee problems since my console is imported from the US and it has now been tampered with by a 3rd party but worth a try I guess.

I have a close friend offering me his hardly used slim for about £150, (the cheapest new models here start at £230), I just feel begrudged to spend this now after just having spent  £50 trying to fix this one with no success :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (268 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

YES. Demand the cash back. This is the worst possible fix, but the most common. If they do not give you your cash back, you can sue them, I believe, for conning.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (247 Views)
0 Kudos