11 Jan 2011

Playstation Staff

WiFi connection error 20000006

15 Replies 24,555 Views Created 11-01-2011

I have a 2nd hand PSP1000 for my son.  I have added the WiFi settings and tested - all is OK and connects.  I can see the MAC address in my router & it obtains IP address OK.  I think software version is 5.5.  

When I go to Network Update and select my WiFi it gets as far as 'obtaining an IP addess (again I can see it connects in my router settings) but then I get an error message "A connection to the server could not be established (20000006)  I have googled this with no sucess.

I get the same error when I go to sign up for PSN.

I have downloaded the 6.35 software but there is no menu option for running form disk on my PSP.

I can find no other support avenue to go down.

Please help as it is for his birthday next Tuesday - (18/01)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (24,555 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: WiFi connection error 20000006

[ Edited ]

You can update the PSP by connecting it to your PC and following the instructions here: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/psp/pc/index.htm

You might find that updating also fixes the connection problems.

Where did you get the PSP from? Was it somewhere trustworthy? I only ask because Sony sometimes block consoles from access to the network if the user has misused the system. I wouldn't worry about that just yet though. That's just one of a number of possibilities. Try installing the update using the method above and get back to us if you still can't connect to the network.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (24,541 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the link.  I had not found the info about creating the UPDATE folder.  It ran OK but said "The system software of your PSP system is version 9.90.  There is no need to update." 

I am confused by that as under Settings | System Setting | System Information I can see it says System Software 5.50 GEN-D3.

My brother-in-law got it for me so cant vouch for it's history....

Any other suggestions or is it OK on this software.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (24,510 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Can you use the internet browser to view sites? In other words, is it just the PlayStation Network that you can't connect to or can you not connect to the internet either?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (24,504 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

System Software 5.50 GEN-D3 is a custom firmware, basically the PSP has been jaikbroken so that pirated games will run on it,

Here's a link to another forum with instructions on how to replace the custom firmware with official firmware.

http://forums.qj.net/psp-general-help/164018-how-go-5-50-gen-d3-ofw-6-20-a.html

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (24,481 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have already tried to run the 6.35 update but it tells me the same as the guy on that link you sent.

"The system software of your PSP system is version 9.90.  There is no need to update." 

I have tried doing System Settings | Restore Default settings.  How can I wipe and install the genuine software?  Is it even necessary?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (24,409 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

if you are getting the version 9.90 it is an easy fix, start your psp and press select a vsh menu should apear.  go to USB DEVICE and change it from memory stick to Flash 0.  exit the menu and plug in the usb cord to your computer.  when you open your psp on your computer you should see some folders one will say "VSH" go into that folder and into "ETC" and open VERSION.TXT.  the first line should say "release:9.90:" just change the 9's to whatever your real firmware is.  example "release:5.50:" then you can exit go back to your psp press select and change Flash 0 back to memory stick then you can run an update after 5.50.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (23,411 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

It solve the problem but created another problem.  Now it ask for system update and during the connection it give an error code 80431021.

At the same time, I also having problem.  I press the select key, it don't appear anymore vsh menu.  Why?

Need your advise.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (20,788 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

my psp 3000 can't update via internet and storage media

when i slect VIA INTERNET after cnnecting to the intenet my psp system sad : a connection to the server could not be established error 20000006 

and if i select VIA STORAGE MEDIA when he starts 1% he sad the data is corrupted ( update version 6.60 + 6.39 and my system is version 6.20 ) 

help me as soon you can anda thanx :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (20,764 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

when my psp start's update VIA STORAGE MEDIA 1% he sad THE DATA IS CORRUPTED !! why plz help
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (20,760 Views)
0 Kudos