14 Jan 2010
By: doomacerulez

1 Posts

Would UK PS3 Work On USA? PLZZZ HELP!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]
5 Replies 3,641 Views edited 14-01-2010

Bought A Ps3 In Uk, And Took It On USA.
But Im Worried About If The Ps3 Would Work On USA TV.

I Know I Have To Buy A Power Voltage Adapter.

I Got A Sony Non HD Tv 32 Inch But Will Buy A HD Tv Later...
So Would The Ps3 Work On USA???

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (3,641 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Would UK PS3 Work On USA? PLZZZ HELP!!!!!!!!

according to everything on the 'net, you (apparently) don't need a power voltage adapter, just the right plug on the end of the power lead :smileyhappy:
(Haven't tried this myself, so I can't GUARANTEE this is the case...)
*EDIT
literally a COUPLE of people have reported that apparently UK PS3 DON'T have a universal PSU, and a voltage converter IS needed - so now I'm not sure... :smileysad:

As to the TV - best to just plug it in and try it :smileyvery-happy:

I BELIEVE (from vague recollections of reading stuff) that HDMI might well work, and component should do too - but (apparently) some US TVs have rather lower resolutions, so you might have to fiddle.

When you first turn it on over there, hold the power button until you hear 2 beeps - this resets the PS3 video settings to the minimum, allowing you to then play to find the best setting that works :smileyhappy:

Other things to note:
games are generally not region locked, so playing US bought games should be fine :smileyhappy:
blu-rays and DVDs may be region locked, so some US bought ones may not work :smileysad:
I'm not certain, but unless you set up a new US account, you will still be connected to the UK PSN (store / home / online games etc) - don't quite know how this affects the T&Cs that we all sign up to when creating accounts :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (3,617 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Your need a voltage thing

And a new US account

Games will work BUT DLC is region locked UK games UK store DLC

Your lose iplayer and vidzone they are IP locked

Believe you won't have any trouble with the tv through

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (3,597 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

On the original PS3, you don't need a voltage converter, the PSU is a auto switching 110-240v so just need a US kettlelead, you don't need to created a US account as your UK one should still work..

The New PS3 however, I think I read somewhere that it also does, but I'm not 100% sure so it's up to you.

Alternatively have a look on the rear of the PS3 near the power connector it should read the voltage requirements, and IIRC it should read the same '110-240v 50-60Hz'  If it does then it is also autoswitching, and therefore only needs a US figure8 cable.

HTH :-)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (3,590 Views)
0 Kudos

I have a UK 250GB PS3 Slim and took it to New York a couple of weeks ago - worked fine on 110 volts (even though mine says underneath 220) and plugged into HDMI. Not sure about other tv connections though

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (3,475 Views)
0 Kudos

I'm currently using a UK PS3 slim in the USA.  It works fine with voltage - plug it through a regular travel adapter or better still buy the 'kettle' style cable you need - it's cheap from most electrical stores eg RadioShack.  No need to buy a step up/down transformer.

HDMI will work fine so if you have a decent HD TV, that will work.  As for other inputs, you have a PAL vs NTSC problem and you'll have trouble.  You can buy PAL to NTSC adapters but it's probably not worth bothering if HDMI is an option.

I am having trouble playing UK DVDs and BlueRays from my UK PS3 via my current HDMI setup.  Not sure why - it worked on the last HD TV I used, but not, apparently, on my new Sony Bravia.  There's probably a solution out there...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (2,990 Views)
0 Kudos